Marine Skins - v7

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Marine Skins - v7

Post by Ghastly »

First of all, I have to say that these skins were made by various authors, and not just me. Yes, I did get permission for all those I could, and full credit is given.

This skin pack contains 51 skins of the Doom marine with assorted weaponry (some from Doom 2, some from Skulltag and several custom). The included weapons are the Fists, Chainsaw, Pistol, Shotgun, Super Shotgun, Chaingun, Rocket Launcher, Plasma Rifle, BFG9000, Minigun, Grenade Launcher, Railgun, BFG10k, Knife, Stronghold's Chainsaw, Backpack/Pistol, Dual-Pistols, Stronghold's Pistol, Stronghold's Shotgun Sawed-Off Shotgun, Auto-Shotgun, LoS's Quad Shotgun, Submachinegun, Carbine, Doom 3 Machinegun, IGPack Nailgun, Super-Chaingun, Land-Mine, RevRocket, Stronghold's Rocket Launcher, Shoulder-Mounted Rocket Launcher, Bazooka, Assault Grenade, HellStorm Cannon, HRL, Plasma Beam, Stunner Rifle, Freeze Rifle, Ionspray, Karasawa, Pulse Beam, Sonic Railgun, Sniper Rifle, Lightning Rifle, Unmaker, Bio-Cannon, Flamethrower, Repeater, Pyro-Cannon, Devastator and Redeemer.

While originally, this wasn't meant to replace NewMarin.wad (Fist, Pistol, Shotgun, Chainsaw, and Chaingun), some of the skins from there have been touched up on, and now it shouldn't be used in conjunction with it, or there would be some conflicts.

Additionally, for multiplayer servers on Zandronum, I've put together a viewable weapons mod. With vwep loaded, your graphics will display the weapon you're carrying (especially helpful for coop and deathmatch). Comes in two flavors; vanilla and with Skulltag_Actors loaded.

Download link: (Version 7)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/674 ... kinsV7.zip
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67411518/vwep.zip
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/674 ... wep_ST.zip

Changelog:

Code: Select all

Version 1:
-Initial release.

Version 2:
-Added Plasma Rifle, BFG9000, Minigun, Grenade Launcher, BFG10k, Dual-Pistols and Repeater Marines.

Version 3:
-Renamed from Xim's Skins to Marine Skins. Figured since they weren't all from Xim anymore, it was time for a change.
-Added Fist, Chainsaw, Pistol, Shotgun, Chaingun, Knife, Backpack, RevRocket, Freeze Rifle and Flamethrower Marines.
-Credits revised and added to a single lump.

Version 4:
-Added Sniper Rifle, new Minigun and Shoulder-Rocket Marines.
-Changed old Minigun Marine to Super-Chaingun Marine
-Slight credit revisions, for the pickup sprites they were from. If the credits are off a bit, just tell me.
-Added crouching sprites for the Chainsaw, Pistol, Shotgun, Super Shotgun, Chainsaw, Rocket Launcher, Plasma Rifle, BFG9000, Minigun, Grenade Launcher, Railgun, BFG10k, Sawed-Off, SMG, Machinegun, Super-Chaingun, Freeze Rifle, Sonic Railgun, Sniper Rifle, Unmaker, Flamethrower and Repeater Marines.

Version 4.1:
-Fixed a typo that broke the Flamethrower Marine.

Version 5:
-Added DE-Pistol, Quad-Shotgun, Land-mine, DE-Rocket Launcher, HRL, Stunner Rifle, Ionspray and Devastator Marines.
-Added crouching sprites for the Fist, DE-Pistol, Quad-Shotgun, DE-Rocket Launcher, HRL, Stunner Rifle, Ionspray and Devastator Marines.
-Fixed the offsets for the Chainsaw Marine's firing sprites, the Super Shotgun Marine's firing sprites, the Backpack Marine's firing sprites, the Sawed-Off Shotgun Marine's firing sprites and the Bazooka Marine's waking and firing sprites.
-Edited the A1 and B1 sprites of the Fist Marine (it had a third hand at its belt!).

Version 6:
-Added Auto-Shotgun, Carbine, Nailgun(MG), Plasma Beam, Karasawa, Lightning Rifle, Biocannon and Redeemer Marines.
-Added crouching sprites for the Auto-Shotgun, Carbine, Nailgun(MG), Land-mine Marine, Plasma Beam, Karasawa, Lightning Rifle, Biocannon and Redeemer Marines.
-Edited out the "third hand" in the A1 and B1 sprites of the Land-Mine and RevRocket Marines (can't believe I forgot those when I fixed the Fist Marine)
-Fixed up the death sprites for the Chainsaw, Pistol, Super Shotgun, Rocket Launcher, Plasma Rifle, BFG9000, Minigun, Grenade Launcher, Railgun, BFG10k, DE-Pistol, Sawed-Off, Quad-Shotgun, SMG, Doom 3 Machinegun, Super-Chaingun, DE-Rocket Launcher, Freeze Rifle, Sonic Railgun, Sniper Rifle, Flamethrower, Repeater and Devastator Marines (standing and crouching). Basically, pretty much all instances of the original DoomGuy rifle appearing on the sprite instead of the new weapon are now gone. This means nothing for the crouching sprites when used as skins, however (standing death is always used instead, since the player isn't crouching anymore), but it's done in case people want to use them for something else.

Version 7:
-Relabeled the Demon Eclipse Episode 1 weapons to Stronghold, in response to Eriance respriting of the Demon Eclipse E1 weapons.
-Added the SH-Chainsaw, SH-Shotgun, Assault Grenade, HellStorm Cannon, Pulse Beam and Pyro-Cannon Marines.
-Added crouching sprites for the Knife, SH-Chainsaw,  Dual-pistol, Backpack, SH-Shotgun, RevRocket, Shoulder-Rocket, Bazooka, Assault Grenade, HellStorm Cannon, Pulse Beam and Pyro-Cannon.
-Fixed the E5 crouching frame for the Chaingun Marine. (Can't believe I never noticed it was just a copy of one of the movement frames)
In the next version:

-Stuff
Currently working on:

-Nothing at the moment
If there are any problems, especially sprite naming conflicts with other wads, please tell me. If anyone would like to contribute a skin (either an actual skin, or a set for crouching sprites), just PM the final version of it to me.
Last edited by Ghastly on Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:48 pm, edited 24 times in total.
Enjay

Re: Marine Skins - v4.1

Post by Enjay »

That looks pretty sweet. A very nice collection of skins indeed. With such a large and complete skin collection, perhaps some sort of VWep support should now be considered?
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

Torr already added that into Skulltag, though it (nor a dummy function, for compatibility) was never backported to ZDoom. VWep support was also put in Hard-Doom, and there's a standalone enhancement wad with it, floating around somewhere.
Xim

Post by Xim »

Lookin' pretty awesome. Whoever made the majority of those skins must be a pretty awesome person. [/arrogant jack-ass]
Dancso

Post by Dancso »

Ghastly_dragon wrote:Torr already added that into Skulltag
How does this VWep thing exactly work? I did a search on the skulltag forums for "VWep" but only found one result, which was not what I was looking for.
Is it handled like SBARINFO, so it is optional but servers wont kick you out for it?

Good job on the skins btw. :)
Xim

Post by Xim »

Actually it's handled in the weapons. So you need to make a wad that modifies the weapons to make it so it changes the skin.

I'm pretty sure that's how it goes.

A downside to that is that you can't have more than one skin. Personally I'm fine with the good ole' doom marine, though.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

There's a Weapon.PreferredSkin decorate property. Just point it to a valid skin, and it'll automatically switch you to that skin when that weapon is selected. This overrides +NoSkin and any skin you're currently using, and it isn't saved in the .ini, so it is certainly not permanent.

The best way to use it is to define a new player class with +NoSkin, make a few skins (defined for the new class, since they're defined for DoomPlayer by default), and put Weapon.PreferredSkin "SkinName" on the weapons. The effect only looks good if there's a skin for EVERY weapon (hopefully, we've done a good enough job on that :P). The only real downside is that you can't really use any skins while running this kind of mod, though many don't see that as a problem.

There has been a generic, Doom-weapons-only viewable weapon mod, as an add-on for CTF and DM, but I can't recall what it was called, or if anyone ever actually hosted it. Edit from four years later: Yes there is, I made one and it's on the first post.
Last edited by Ghastly on Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

Alright, I finished up the landmine marine.
Anyone think I should release v5 now (at 30 skins, even) or wait for more skins or crouching sets?

Edit:
Demon Eclipse Pistol is almost done!
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

Updated to v5! Check the changelog on the first post for the changes.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Re: Marine Skins - v5

Post by Ghastly »

Hmm, I seem to have been neglecting this thread. Here are the skins that will likely be in the next version:
They are the Auto-Shotgun, Carbine, Nailgun (IGPack), Plasma Beam, Karasawa, Lightning Rifle, Bio-Cannon and Redeemer.
Mr.Green

Post by Mr.Green »

Wow,that redeemer is one bigass gun. Good work!
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

And apparently with JoeyTD's help, it'll be finished fairly soon. He offered to do the rotations for the Redeemer itself, so I can finish the 2, 3 and 4 rotations for the skin. :D

And thanks to Xim, the Auto-Shotgun Marine is done. That leaves the Carbine, and crouching sprites for the three weapons. Unfortunately, I don't have time at the moment, with final exams being next week, so they'll take a while.
JoeyTD
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by JoeyTD »

Ghastly_dragon wrote:And apparently with JoeyTD's help, it'll be finished fairly soon. He offered to do the rotations for the Redeemer itself, so I can finish the 2, 3 and 4 rotations for the skin. :D

And thanks to Xim, the Auto-Shotgun Marine is done. That leaves the Carbine, and crouching sprites for the three weapons. Unfortunately, I don't have time at the moment, with final exams being next week, so they'll take a while.

this there a medal for being so facking awesome.
.+:icytux:+.

Post by .+:icytux:+. »

There shouldn't be a hole at the tip, the whole gun just pretty much consists of one big rocket.
it has this white/red tip.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

Yeah, it's a single huge missile (a small nuke, actually) in a launcher. I also meant rotations like this:
I can take care of all the tilting myself, I just need the 1, 2/8 and 4/6 rotations (3/7 is already done, since that's the pickup sprite itself :P), the 3/7 walking (an underside view), and a version of the 1, 2/8, 3/7 and 4/6 without the missile in it (for the firing frame).

Edit:
Took a crack at DE's Chainsaw:
Suggestions?

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”