WIP: Ultimate Doom 2012

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
2005 FY9

WIP: Ultimate Doom 2012

Post by 2005 FY9 »

Alright, My work has a new status. I have decided to rebuild everything under a new format (Doom in Hexen). In doing so, I have nearly finished map 1 of this future megawad (still not finished, for example the teleport does not work yet). By the end of the month I should have at least three maps finished. The remake of the first map, although almost identical, is much better than my original. There is some unfortunate news; I won't be able to complete e1 til' early next year, rather than by the end of this year. However, despite this, I should be able to finish the whole project by the end of next year; and two or three new sets by the end of 2012.

Here are the new features that my megawad has to offer: (green = already done or will do) (orange = might do)

1) The Freedoom midi format which improves the way the music sounds, (though some don't sound good with it). Sounds are taken from PSX Doom.

2) The new format enables colored lighting and fog, in addition to slopes and bridges in the future.

3) The addition to new monsters (already have done and will do in the future) introduce something new to the game.

4) Brand new difficulty settings, utilizing new features such as actor replacements.

5) Add new weapon graphics taken from Demon Eclipse and Redoom. Sprite improvements in addition to that. Prepare new weapons.

6) Use high res graphics taken mostly from Free Doom. I tested this, it greatly improves visual quality, but it may not be worth it.

download alpha here: (I know RS takes things down, but this does not need to be on here for more than a week anyway)
http://rapidshare.com/files/315603469/u ... 2.zip.html

Below are my old obsolete posts:
Spoiler:
Screenshots:

http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/7716/screen3.png

- this shows the effectiveness of fog effects in my maps
Last edited by 2005 FY9 on Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:39 am, edited 6 times in total.
XutaWoo

Re: WIP: Ultimate Doom 2012

Post by XutaWoo »

so uh

Are you remaking the ultimate doom or what?

Because if so it'd only be 32 maps with 4 secrets.

Which is still rediculous for a one-person army.
Xim

Post by Xim »

Seems over ambitious, but you might as well try. Just release a map or two before hand just so you know if people will like them or not. It'd be a shame to make all those maps and have them ending up to be disliked.
2005 FY9

Post by 2005 FY9 »

Xim wrote:Seems over ambitious, but you might as well try. Just release a map or two before hand just so you know if people will like them or not. It'd be a shame to make all those maps and have them ending up to be disliked.
Yes. I'll eventually release this one and a 9 level episode. I am going to add an additional 4 uber-secret maps. The first level actually has a secret exit, but it is not easy to find.
so uh

Are you remaking the ultimate doom or what?

Because if so it'd only be 32 maps with 4 secrets.

Which is still rediculous for a one-person army.
I am making an ultimate doom megawad, but I'm adding brand new enemies (realm 667), and four additional secret levels. I nearly finished the first map in just one day, and now all it needs is finishing touches. Because of Doom Builder 2, making maps is much easier now than they were when I first got into mapping. Also, inspiration from other maps helps make up for lacking an army. Like I said, I would get it done by the end of next year at the earliest, and at the latest during 2012, that is unless I dump the project.

I'll release the first map (beta) by this weekend. I could use play testers at least. Also, texturing and detail advice might be helpful for me; since some parts look better than others.

EDIT: //==============================

Instead of making a new post I'll edit this one. I am working on e1m3 and been having a very hard time on it. I am hoping to be able to complete four (beta) maps by the end of the month. And after that, 5 additional maps every month. That should get me a first episode by the next new year, and the whole megawad by xmas 2010. That seems doable.
Last edited by 2005 FY9 on Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ProjectAngel

Post by ProjectAngel »

Whoah, wait a minute. 2 things:

1. This a speedmap or something? Looks pretty good, despite some issues.

2. Why 2012 as a deadline?
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

ProjectAngel wrote:2. Why 2012 as a deadline?
End of the world. :p

I'd say a whole megawad that replaces Ultimate Doom is a bit over ambitious. Aiming for a single episode is probably better, but that's up to you. The first map you have looks pretty good so far, so I'm definitely looking forward to what else is in store. :)
2005 FY9

Post by 2005 FY9 »

ProjectAngel wrote:Whoah, wait a minute. 2 things:

1. This a speedmap or something? Looks pretty good, despite some issues.

2. Why 2012 as a deadline?
1. It was not a speed map, but I made a first draft in one day. In fact, I could finally finish a good draft using it today. If I can complete maps with in 2-5 days each, I could complete a 40 map megawad by with in 2011.

2. Because 2012 is the year of doom, so naming a megawad after it is generally a good idea. Also, that amount of time is a safe prediction for being about to complete 40 maps with just one person, being me. If I improve my working ethic, I could complete 2 or 3 sets of 40 map megawads by the end of that date.
Spoiler:
Gez

Post by Gez »

XutaWoo wrote:Because if so it'd only be 32 maps with 4 secrets.
[wiki]MAPINFO[/wiki] :P
2005 FY9

Post by 2005 FY9 »

Now that I finished (not know future changes) the first map. I am now approaching the time to think about what new enemies to add. Enemies that I plan on using so far include: Zombie Marines, Vulgars, Soul Harvesters, Hellions, Blood Demons, Blood Fiends, etc ... What else should I add to that? Also in addition, I'll be using Hell Knights from D2, in addition to one of the D2 tech lamps. What are some of your favorite realm 667 enemies?
Gez wrote:
XutaWoo wrote:Because if so it'd only be 32 maps with 4 secrets.
[wiki]MAPINFO[/wiki] :P
Thats right! :D
CodenniumRed wrote:That map came out really well! Has the E1M1 classic feel yet looks more like a hanger all at once!!!! Well done!!!!
Thank you. Since you've tried it, it has gotten a little better. I'm now ready to start E1M2, and maybe even getting E1M3 started.

edit: A screen from e1m2, still less than half way done and under construction. This level will probably take all week.

http://img291.imageshack.us/i/screen2xw.png/

Oh, can anybody help me with slopes. I looked it up on the zdoom wiki and on youtube, but couldn't quite figure it out.
Last edited by 2005 FY9 on Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:30 am, edited 4 times in total.
ShadesMaster

Post by ShadesMaster »

That map came out really well! Has the E1M1 classic feel yet looks more like a hanger all at once!!!! Well done!!!!
2005 FY9

Post by 2005 FY9 »

Alright, I am going to bump this, and the reason is, I need some help, or questions answered.

I have several questions to ask:

1) I already know about the replaces function. (For example : Nightmare Spectre replaces Spectre.) I have a question about that whole replace function that I couldn't find out about on the Zdoom wiki. Can I set the replace for certain difficulty modes, such as Nightmare only? I was thinking of instead of having enemy respawn on nightmare (besides lost souls), I would use the recolor (green) definitions and do some minor changes to have new monsters to replace old ones on nightmare difficulty. One example would be red eyed Cacodemons. Another example would be Spider Demolisher instead of Mastermind. And one of my most interesting ideas would be for the green vulgar to be replaced by the gray vulgar which reincarnate like the quake zombies unless they are gibbed. So is it possible to do nightmare mode only monster/item replacements?

2) More questions are to come ...

Replies:
Gez wrote:You want to use ReplaceActor.
Kool, thx.
Last edited by 2005 FY9 on Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gez

Post by Gez »

You want to use ReplaceActor.
The Ultimate DooMer

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

You've just made my day. (didn't know about skill defs)
2005 FY9

Post by 2005 FY9 »

The Ultimate DooMer wrote:You've just made my day. (didn't know about skill defs)
Me neither, but now I just figured it out. According to zwiki, i should put it in MAPInfo. Is this right? If so, how come there is a problem?

Script error, "udoom2012.wad:MAPINFO" line 18:
{: Unknown top level keyword

And here is what my map info says:
Spoiler:
The Ultimate DooMer

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

I'm having trouble with it too...all my map definitions are broke when I add a skill setting. Stuff like "expected { got levelnum", yet if I add curly braces and = signs everywhere it goes away...is this the new mapinfo format that broke Demon Eclipse ages ago?
Last edited by The Ultimate DooMer on Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”