ZDoom Wars (Thread now inactive. Check the Blog and Forum)

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Captain Ventris

ZDoom Wars (Thread now inactive. Check the Blog and Forum)

Post by Captain Ventris »

Requires Skulltag 98B or svn versions of ZDoom!

All future developments will be covered on the Blog and forum. There is a link to the blog in my signature.

About:
Zdoom Wars is a Multiplayer wad intended to be run with Skulltag. In it, a player chooses a player class, each of which has an entire unique faction of monsters at their disposal, but no weapons. Thus, you must defeat your opponents using only these monsters. For the absolute intended results, play in LMS mode. Team LMS does not operate with monsters correctly at this time.

Each player has 250 health (except for the Spore, who has less to make up for it's flight ability) which automatically regenerates. Also, players can jump extra high to escape tight spots.

All Factions start out with only one or two basic units unlocked. To use more powerful monsters, you must spawn monsters in accordance with that Faction's Tech Tree. You cannot select monsters you have not unlocked. To toggle the Tech Tree, bind a custom key.

Quick Tips:
-Don't stand against a wall while summoning. If the monster is wider than you, it will not spawn.
-Summoning projectiles are as wide as the monster they create, so keep this in mind, or you'll waste mana.

Screenshots (click to see the whole image):
Spoiler: Chex Quest wields the full might of the swarm
Spoiler: Heretic vs Doom on Tech Monolith
Spoiler: A huge Virus armada swarms Hexen in Valley
Features

* Army-based gameplay
* LMS Support
* 6 Unique Factions
* Each Faction has Unique Special Abilities and Upgrades
* 16 specially designed maps

DOWNLOAD PUBLIC BETA 2.6:
http://hosted.drdteam.org/zdwars/

Also remember to grab the music, and place it in your skins folder.

Post any bugs or problems here.

If you, for some reason, want to submit maps, go ahead and contact me!

Expansions are planned for this, including new maps, factions, etc.

Do NOT ask me about new Factions.

How to submit maps:
Spoiler:
Last edited by Captain Ventris on Thu May 13, 2010 3:08 pm, edited 56 times in total.
CaptainToenail

Re: ZDoom Wars (Public Release now available!)

Post by CaptainToenail »

Well, I sat in the server for 20 minutes and nobody joined :(

All I can say so far is the foot steps are extremly annoying and you really should have used PNG graphics
Captain Ventris

CaptainToenail wrote:Well, I sat in the server for 20 minutes and nobody joined :(

All I can say so far is the foot steps are extremly annoying and you really should have used PNG graphics
Why do you find the footsteps annoying? You don't really notice them once a game gets going.

And what should I have used png graphics for?
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Glad to see there's a release, I'll be sure to give this a go sooner or later :)
Captain Ventris

Well, if no one pops up with a mind-crushing bug in the next couple days, I'll post on the Skulltag Forums.
CaptainBighead

Post by CaptainBighead »

I demand that Deja Vu have my secret switches! That is all
Osiris Kalev

Post by Osiris Kalev »

This is great! A friend and I have had quite a few rounds of LMS in this and it's been great.

The only thing though (but it may be because my friend isn't sending out the right units for the job) is that it seems the Chex Quest side is a bit overpowered. I didn't think so, but it may need some looking into.

Other than that, this is awesome.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Just going through all of the readmes and manuals for the project. Nice work overall, but:

-In the readme, I'd say this project is far from "new from scratch" :P
-The runhealth feature sounds annoying, although obvious without playing I can't be certain
-The manuals in general could have done with a bit of alignment and spacing across pages - Doon for instance has the imp picture seperate from its description (although this may be down to my old version of Word)
-The balance work seems very complete, I look forwards to seeing how it plays out :)
-Noticed a few minor typos, but I felt listing them would be too pedantic.
Captain Ventris

Good to hear, Osiris. No obvious problems, the monsters targeted the Players correctly and such?

@Phobus:

...Yeah, it isn't exactly scratch, now is it? I used the Shotgun Frenzy Readme as a Template, haha.

The runhealth feature was there to make sure players ACTUALLY DIED rather than being able to slip away without great effort.

Yeah, I'm literally aligning the manuals by hand and such. Maybe I should make them PDFs?

I'll look for typos, lol.
Osiris Kalev

Post by Osiris Kalev »

Yeah, the monsters did their jobs, whether it be targetting my friend or one of his many troops.
Captain Ventris

Re: ZDoom Wars (Public Beta 1.01 Update!)

Osiris Kalev wrote:Yeah, the monsters did their jobs, whether it be targetting my friend or one of his many troops.
It wasn't too easy to die? Games lasted a decent length? Because before a few revisions ago, monsters didn't target a player online correctly, thus the runhealth feature and reduced health from 300.

EDIT: Update so Virus doesn't get free units after buying the Land Unit upgrade. ;P
Mik57

Post by Mik57 »

Alright, I'm playing, in case anyone is interested.

Also, I might align some of the textures in weird bases, if that's alright with Xuta. I don't know why, but the textures really bug me.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Captain Ventris wrote:Good to hear, Osiris. No obvious problems, the monsters targeted the Players correctly and such?

@Phobus:

...Yeah, it isn't exactly scratch, now is it? I used the Shotgun Frenzy Readme as a Template, haha.

The runhealth feature was there to make sure players ACTUALLY DIED rather than being able to slip away without great effort.

Yeah, I'm literally aligning the manuals by hand and such. Maybe I should make them PDFs?

I'll look for typos, lol.
I'd say using spell check will solve the obvious typos, and a quick read throguh should remove those that the spell check won't pick up. I read through all of the manuals and the text file in about half an hour or so, so it shouldn't take forever :) I wouldn't worry too much about the alignment. Using left and centre aligning for the most part should cover it.

As for the runhealth... that does make sense to a point actually, as I do remember games being very difficult to end.

Also, I've had a silly idea for a faction. I can promise you it wouldn't actually be worth implementing, but the idea is almost good enough to be considered (I think) - A White Light faction! As there's now 10 enemies, it just about qualifies! Downsides are of course that 7 of them are all spirits, which are all much the same, 9 of the enemies have no rotations due to being Aeons or variations thereof and my favourite problem being that the boss monster is 256X256, and has an attack with damage ranging from 200->800 or so!

Plus, I've already got a faction in there - I don't think I need another.
Osiris Kalev

Post by Osiris Kalev »

Some games lasted a LONG time. And then sometimes they didn't last at all due to me being kicked from losing too many packets (only seemed to happen when I used the Chex Quest side).

It's not really easy to die, as long as you're not running headlong into someone else's defensive line of Reavers and Templars.

But yeah, it worked as I believe it was supposed to. I, or my monsters (depending on whether any of my monsters had already shot at them) were targeted by my friend's monsters.
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

Will keep an eye out for the server :)

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”