Aliens vs. Marines - AVM

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Tragos

Aliens vs. Marines - AVM

Post by Tragos »

A.V.M. - Aliens vs. Marines is based off of Mythic Entertainment 's famous Aliens Online from 1997. This project will make full use of Gzdoom's features. No kids allowed.

Release date: When its done. The most current updates can be found here: http://www.tragos2d.com

Play this in the background before viewing spoiler.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da2fVHo8 ... re=related

Latest screenshots 3/31/11
Testing out the higher res content.
Spoiler:

Sprite Preview
Spoiler:
Feature highlights:
Large detailed maps. Featuring works by Deimos Anomaly.
All the original game play modes from Aliens Online.
32 player support, with simulated dynamic maps.
Authentic weapons via the USCM Tech manual.
New sprites from digitized models.
Photo realistic textures.

Contributions:
VGA - Motion Tracker code. MY HERO!
Eriance -HUD graphics.
wildweasel -for providing a functional HUD.
Superbird - for providing me with a legit Gamestorm CD. Very cool!
Last edited by Tragos on Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:36 pm, edited 65 times in total.
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Re: Project: A.v.M. "Aliens Online Redux"

Post by chronoteeth »

Looks promising. The doom 64 music is a nice touch.
Tragos

Post by Tragos »

Thanks... Actually, its the PSX music friend! :)
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

It's the same, but whoever got their mitts on the 64 version say "n64 music" :wink:
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

@Cutty: actually, the PSX and N64 soundtracks, though sharing some common melodies and motifs, are quite different from each other.[/music pedant]
Tragos

Post by Tragos »

I found the music quite fitting for the Aliens atmosphere. The final release may include original work.
Xim

Post by Xim »

Looks cool.
Tragos

Post by Tragos »

*removed*
Last edited by Tragos on Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xim

Post by Xim »

The pictures on the front page are huge. Could you please spoiler them, or get thumbnail links at least?
Tragos

Post by Tragos »

Xim wrote:The pictures on the front page are huge. Could you please spoiler them, or get thumbnail links at least?
Sorry about that, yeah that Queen sprite is quite titanic. I was trying to show off the detail in my models to be digitized. She will be terrifying to fight! And maybe even more fun to play as?
Nash

Post by Nash »

Did you actually build all of these figures yourself from scratch, or are they just toys you bought at a toy store?
Tragos

Post by Tragos »

Nash wrote:Did you actually build all of these figures yourself from scratch, or are they just toys you bought at a toy store?
None of these figures could have been purchased at any toy store. Known I know of at least. Everything came from EBAY. The marine figures where built as using BBI figures as a base, then finding some gritty looking marine faces. Then using the Colonial Marines technical manual, I tracked down mini versions of their gear. From the vietnam boots, to the M1 helmet. I've still got some work yet to do painting them, but as you can see their close to being finished. The pulse rifles where from the Hicks versus Aliens set, ( As is their Armour) but I tossed those aside after I got my hands on the Hot Toys versions, which are better in every way. I wanted to get the full line of USCM marines from the HOT TOYS line, they are near 100% perfect replica's of the real actors. They sold for only $85 years ago, but now your lucky if you can find one for less than $500! Hicks can get up to $1000!!! Those where way above my budget, so I decided to build my own marines instead. I think the results so far are pretty damn good.

The aliens are varied, as an accurate one that is pose-ible was hard to find. Eventually I came across a limited edition vinyl medicom figure, which cost a good $250 on ebay. I did track down the aliens figure's from what I believed where digitized for Aliens Online. They where a early 12 inch figure before Hot Toys, part of something called Real Action heroes. Which I believe I own possibly the last 2 figures in the box complete in the world?

Calling these toys is just a tad insulting. Works of art in my opinion. I've already invested a good sum of time and money on this project, and intend on seeing it through until completion.
Last edited by Tragos on Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nash

Post by Nash »

There's something about building your own figures, stop motioning them and turning them into sprites, is there? :) Maybe it's knowing that that is what the id guys did for Doom.

I used to be really keen on the idea, but never got far because supplies are difficult where I'm from, and I just don't have the talent to sculpt stuff physically. That's when I said, "screw this, I'm learning 3ds Max".

But yeah, I understand the enthusiasm... keep up the good work. I wouldn't make them too high res though... might make them obviously look like figurines in-game. Maybe double-size of what Doom's sprites were (think the Build engine games sprite size) would do the trick.
Tragos

Post by Tragos »

Its funny you mention that. I've been fascinated with that whole process since 93.... Heck, I even tried to get a neXt computer to replicate the entire process!

Now its just taken me 17 years since then to get to a point where I could finally try it for myself with current technology. Zdoom is at a point where anything is just about possible. I have to leave my former port EDGE behind, since its no longer being updated. I intend on employing lighting effects, and lots of shading to the sprites so they wont look like figures. I'm going for more of a photo-realistic look. Imagine a sprite, that actually looks realistic? Not many 3d model turned sprite can even claim that. What I'm doing will be an epic achievement, but honestly its all for the glory of Aliens Online. A game which died too soon in my opinion....
Last edited by Tragos on Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tragos

Post by Tragos »

*removed*
Last edited by Tragos on Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”