ScoreDoom 2.9Beta Release

Game Engines like EDGE, LZDoom, QZDoom, ECWolf, and others, go in this forum
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
edward850

Re: ScoreDoom 2.4 Final Release

Post by edward850 »

Because that's from a much later build of (g)zdoom.
NovaDragon

Post by NovaDragon »

Ive been play testing this out alot recently trying to beat holyhell but cannot for the life of me. Anyhow I came acrossed a little error but its prolly because of the sheer size of the levels / monster combination. When playing holy hell map 2 and one of the hell revealed 2 maps (one of the later ones i think map 22 or 23) it seems to crash on me and try to come up with an error but it cannot.

Both of these wads I used the dalgor.deh from the cyberul2 wad and without and it crashed both ways. I have opengl mod turned off (my computer is a dell and the graphics card doesnt like opengl) and both levels had a sheer large amount of monsters. (mainlly holyhell) I suspect because this is from the huge amount of monsters but holyhell level 2 always crashed on me and when i got far in hr2 it crashed.This was not at the beginning of a level, it was during the level and it wasnt with any specific enemies either. I wonder if its because a score limit was reached or something? I havent tried those from the level it crashed but im just letting you know. Any other wad has run fine so far, just holyhell and one of the later levels in hr2 crashed. Nuts 2 played fine even so im just wondering if there is a score limit? Also this is not online play either. Hopefully I didnt word this too weirdly (had a long day at work lol) so sorry if its a little confusing to understand.
BilboHicks

Post by BilboHicks »

I doubt its the scores, but you never know ;-). But what type of (wad)scores are you talking about? Do you have a screenshot? Or at least could you give the score you are seeing on the screen.
You playing these levels after playing all the previous levels?
NovaDragon

Post by NovaDragon »

I did test out other levels beforehand so im pretty sure its just the sheer size of the monsters.
With the score thing, i thought it may have been a limit like i reach 999999 points as an example then it cannot go any further so it crashes.
This prolly isnt it and more or less just too many enemies but im not positive, ill look into it alittle more.
BilboHicks

Post by BilboHicks »

cheers. Also someone complained about the alt-fire on the chaingun causing occasional slow-down, which I found surprising, since the fix for the double shotty lag would of taken care of this. Have you seen this problem?
NovaDragon

Post by NovaDragon »

To be honest, i never really use the alt fire so I cannot say I have seen anything like this. I could give this a whirl and test it to see if thats the case or not. Also I am playing 1killting wad and so far no errors have jumped up so im pretty sure thats solves that issue, just massive amounts of enemies. Anyhow ill test the alt fir for that soon and let you know what happens.
BilboHicks

Post by BilboHicks »

Thanks again.
-----

Just wanted an opinion on something I was thinking of adding, in the 2.4 update. I was thinking of treating any creatures spawned from other creatures (like lost souls, spider imp heads etc...) as missiles, and thus not 'scoreable'. Regular lost souls by themselves you could score against, but not ones spawned from Pain Elementals.
Also any creature which can respawn health, like the roach & azazel would have that ability removed.
This was in mind to stop players just sapping points over time (with a chainsaw say). The par bonus will penalize players eventually, but as it stands now, I think the ability to camp-score this way takes away from the immediacy to complete a level.
I think MAP30s are random in what they spawn, but I'm cool with that ;-)..I think.
Last edited by BilboHicks on Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NovaDragon

Post by NovaDragon »

That actually doesn't sound like a half bad idea. Considering you can just wait for one of those plants to spawn a billion Trites and Imp Irites, that kinda makes it uneven. I think the health overtime thing may not be necessary. Maybe eliminate it from the Roach cause its weak but not Azazel since if you try to camp it, it will likely kill you. I did not find any lag with the alt-fires so far so can't say anything about that. One thing I would like to ask and i don't expect this from you considering it would take a while to implement I'm sure but would it be possible to create a patch for scoredoom that does randomize monsters? I know you keep them in line so as to keep scores consistent but lets say you wanna play a level set just for fun. This could be used so that a Hellsmith may be in place of a Cyber rather than an InfernuxGrand all the time. Again this is just curiosity and I don't expect it to happen.

Anyhow no other glitches have been found so far but I will keep testing for bugs. One other thing, maybe since it does have "sub-boss" status, make the fire Wyvern a bit more damaging? As it is, it cant even kill a Cacodemon which is kinda sad since it has a boss status and you can hear it form anywhere on the map. Just another small request is all. Nova over and out! =)
BilboHicks

Post by BilboHicks »

NovaDragon wrote:That actually doesn't sound like a half bad idea. Considering you can just wait for one of those plants to spawn a billion Trites and Imp Irites, that kinda makes it uneven. I think the health overtime thing may not be necessary. Maybe eliminate it from the Roach cause its weak but not Azazel since if you try to camp it, it will likely kill you. I did not find any lag with the alt-fires so far so can't say anything about that. One thing I would like to ask and i don't expect this from you considering it would take a while to implement I'm sure but would it be possible to create a patch for scoredoom that does randomize monsters? I know you keep them in line so as to keep scores consistent but lets say you wanna play a level set just for fun. This could be used so that a Hellsmith may be in place of a Cyber rather than an InfernuxGrand all the time. Again this is just curiosity and I don't expect it to happen.

Anyhow no other glitches have been found so far but I will keep testing for bugs. One other thing, maybe since it does have "sub-boss" status, make the fire Wyvern a bit more damaging? As it is, it cant even kill a Cacodemon which is kinda sad since it has a boss status and you can hear it form anywhere on the map. Just another small request is all. Nova over and out! =)
Thanks for the feedback, will look into tweaking the wyvern.
As for the random monsters every play (like in co-op) in SP, thats always been there! Just set sp_random_custom_monsters=true in your .ini
When set to true, you will not be able to use online hi scoring.
You can obtain the same behaviour by simply hosting a co-op game with number of players set to 1, but you will not be able to set hi scores at all.
NovaDragon

Post by NovaDragon »

Oh wow lol shows how much I pay attention :oops:
Definatly keep up the great work on this, it is by far one of my most played
mods out there for doom and I will certianlly keep up the work of trying to find any errors or balance issues.
So far I think we got everything covered but I will keep at it!
BilboHicks

Post by BilboHicks »

Cheers. 2.4 was supposed to be my last version, but it looks like 2.5 will be now. In 2.5 any monsters summoned by other monsters will be treated as 'missiles' and not give scores. I have it working now whereby any lost souls spawned by pain elementals, and demons spawned by the Brain will not register scores. Lost souls placed in the map will score of course. This works for the addonpack as well.
Just need to go through the addonpack and fix the decorate for the custom monsters (basically using -COUNTKILL & removing any health regen calls).

Surprised I didn't add this a looong time ago, but I suppose I didn't see how easy it would be. Now, when you enter a room with a painelemental or other creatures which spawn monsters, its in your best interest to take them out ASAP, before they spawn their 'missiles', rather than spawn-camping.
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

While I love the concept of high scores, I have to say I don't really like the idea of random spawning monsters. Do you have to have the new monsters on to earn a place on the leaderboards?
BilboHicks

Post by BilboHicks »

Its sort of confusing, I know, when I talk about the custom 'random' monsters in SD.
All the custom extra content is in the add-on-pack.
You can post high scores w.o. using the add-on-pack. The hi score server supports many popular wads, with and without the addonpack. There really is no randomization, its regular doom, but with the points system. Even with the addonpack there is no randomization per play, just custom monsters of similar types replacing the regular vanilla doom monsters 1/2 the time (typically). Whats different with SD than other mods, is that when playing and re-playing the same level with the addonpack, at the same difficulty level, the enemies (custom & regular) will always stay the same, which makes the hi scores more meaningful with the add-onpack.
Hope that made some sense.
dljosef

Post by dljosef »

I finished Doom II on Hardcore with the addon pack, but I was surprised at how much harder the final boss was with the addon pack.

Btw, my final score was 769893. (I was getting tired of having to deal with map 24, and I had to take the rocket jump shortcut because I really didn't feel like going through the map again after the inferno demon wasted me the first time I ran into him.)
BilboHicks

Post by BilboHicks »

Cool. Yeah, Hardcore I think is an apt term I think, especially for harder maps.

I sort of lied that 2.4 was the final release. Now 2.5 will be. I ended up putting in a fix for the Golem, realizing it was way too silly-hard, then ended up working on some more enhancements, that I had originally thought would be difficult to add. This unfortunatley means that all the hi scores will need to be wiped one more time. :oops: Since in 2.5 players will not be able to score from doom monsters resurrected or summoned/spawned after the map has loaded. Lost souls from pain elementals, resurrected enemies from archviles, monsters summoned from boss cubes are not scoreable. The addonpack will be supported for this too. Its possible that zdoom wads utilizing decorate will be able to bypass this though, since it's easy to place a monster spawner say, in the map, but these wads will not be 'officially' supported by the hi score server.
Like I mentioned before, the purpose of these enhancements is to stop spawn-camping monsters for scores, and add urgency to kill the summoners ASAP, so in this respect the summoned monsters are sort of treated like fancy projectiles or something :P

Return to “Game Engines”