The "How do I..." Thread

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
The_Funktasm

The "How do I..." Thread

Post by The_Funktasm »

The point of this thread is for people to ask small questions that aren't important enough for their own thread, but good enough to be of value to know.

Any question related to ZDoom editing could fit, provided it isn't too vague or wiki-able.

To start, I'll ask:

How do you make decorate monsters act like bots? Like with behavior including shooting while moving, jumping, and complex movement. Dudukrazy's Guns had some helper marines that moved like this. (don't just say "look at the code," the intent is important too.)
Mr.Green

Re: The "How do I..." Thread

Post by Mr.Green »

The marines uses A_FastChase on their see state that makes them cause quick strafes.
skadoomer

Post by skadoomer »

to continue: how do i get rid of the stat bar with sbarinfo? A blank sbarinfo entry does nothing.
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

skadoomer wrote:to continue: how do i get rid of the stat bar with sbarinfo? A blank sbarinfo entry does nothing.
Maybe try something like this?

statusbar normal { drawimage "TNT1A", 0, 0; }
ThatOneZDoomer
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by ThatOneZDoomer »

I have a question about translations. It seems like I can't get more then one color range colored at the same time. This is possible to do with purely Decorate and no ACS right? I have the following line defined for my enemy actor that I'm using it for...

Code: Select all

Translation "112:127=208:223,192:207=16:31"
Only the green color range gets changed to the orange color range. The blue color range doesn't get changed to the pink color range. What have I done wrong here?
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

ThatOneZDoomer wrote:I have a question about translations. It seems like I can't get more then one color range colored at the same time. This is possible to do with purely Decorate and no ACS right? I have the following line defined for my enemy actor that I'm using it for...

Only the green color range gets changed to the orange color range. The blue color range doesn't get changed to the pink color range. What have I done wrong here?
The way the [wiki]Translation[/wiki] page is worded, I always assumed you were really meant to use [wiki]CreateTranslation[/wiki] to create non-default translations. I guess it was really supposed to mean "You can either use pre-set palettes, or use the same syntax as the CreateTranslation ACS function." I'll change the wording if you can confirm that this actually works.

Anyway, try putting a space after the comma and see if it helps.
Last edited by bagheadspidey on Sun May 03, 2009 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

skadoomer wrote:to continue: how do i get rid of the stat bar with sbarinfo? A blank sbarinfo entry does nothing.

base none
Mik57

Post by Mik57 »

Quick question: I'm trying to put a lightning effect into my level (Like, striking lightning). Every time lightning happens, a thunder/lightning affect appears randomly in a skybox, one at a time. I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to acs, and ATM, I have no idea how to make a randomized effect. Would it be an assload of If/Else statements?
Ceeb

Post by Ceeb »

Make an actor that's a lightning bolt and only lasts a few tics (I can get you a lightning sprite out of Witchaven I think) and place some differently-tagged map spots in your skybox.

Make a Lightning script that, at random, spawns a lightning actor in one of the mapspots. As for the specifics, the Wiki can help you.
Mik57

Post by Mik57 »

I'm using the lightning effect from the Realm667's SFX area, so the effect itself is covered. I'm just trying to figure out something similar to A_Jump in ACS. I've checked the wiki, and it isn't yielding much for me. (Hard to search for something when you have no idea what its called.)
Ceeb

Post by Ceeb »

All you need to do is use randomization.
Mik57

Post by Mik57 »

:| ....

What would the code for that be?
Ceeb

Post by Ceeb »

Mik57 wrote::| ....

What would the code for that be?
[wiki]Random[/wiki] is your friend. :P
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

ThatOneZDoomer wrote:I have a question about translations. It seems like I can't get more then one color range colored at the same time. This is possible to do with purely Decorate and no ACS right? I have the following line defined for my enemy actor that I'm using it for...

Every separate translation gets its own quote mark set.

Translation "112:127=208:223", "192:207=16:31"
skadoomer

Post by skadoomer »

bagheadspidey wrote:Maybe try something like this?
statusbar normal { drawimage "TNT1A", 0, 0; }
That worked.

To continue again, there was a hex number that you could use instead of mass 1000000000000000000 to keep your character from being trusted or moved. What was that number?

Return to “Editing (Archive)”