Monster Resource Wad

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
BouncyTEM
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: 2280 Lol Street: The Calamitous Carnival (formerly Senators Prison)

Post by BouncyTEM »

is the cacolord going to be added?
Nanami

Post by Nanami »

Bouncy wrote:is the cacolord going to be added?
I'm not sure. It's a lot like the Cacolantern, it's just recolored and shoots more. Really the Cacolantern was just added for novelty.
BouncyTEM

Post by BouncyTEM »

you can modify it to your heart's content, if you wish. just please use teh graphics. i worked hard on those.

EDIT: hmm, maybe the cacolord can shoot homing fireballs? i dunno, just, please, i REALLY worked hard on those graphics, and i would kinda be bummed to find out that they were useless......
Nanami

Post by Nanami »

Okay... I made him identical to a normal cacodemon except: He shoots the cacolantern fireball, and is only 25% visible. The blue color and the near invisibility goes well together, so he can be used in dark places and be difficult to see.
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

Here's 3 (somewhat) new monsters:

Inferno Demon (doomednum 30001)

He's an orange demon that has the ability to breathe fire and teleport at will without scripts or map spots. He can also bite quickly, so getting near him is considered a fire hazard. He's not too hard to kill, but his speed can give you a hard time, as he's hard to hit due to the fact that he can circle you in two steps.

Pyromaniac Zombie (doomednum 30003)

It's a blue Shotgun Guy! No, actually it's a zombie with a shotgun modified to throw a stream of flames from the nozzle. He also packs homing rockets(Yes, exploding homing rockets) that can also throw flames as they chase you, so be careful when approaching him and remember, don't get too close!

EDIT: Heh whoops, I forgot the 3rd one:

The Hunter (doomednum 30002)

There's not much to say... It's a demon that can throw spawn cubes and take the shape of other monsters to duplicate their attacks. It has no form of it's own so it floats around as a ball of green energy as you'd see on a teleporter.

EDIT: Well so much for that fucking idea...
Last edited by Kate on Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nanami

Post by Nanami »

Hm, I don't think I can really use these. Aside from being way too fast and having way too much health, most of the attacks are what I'd call "crazy" because they're so rapid, powerful, and impossible to dodge.

However:

* The random teleporting that the fire demon does is cool. I looked at the code and saw how you did it, which unfortunately means there's not a lot of use for it, but it's a nifty little trick.

* I do like the concept of a flamethrower zombie, but the way you have it done is a bit overkill. And the rockets I don't like...

And on another note, to everyone, if you want to submit a monster, remember that most people would rather have a big collection of low to medium power monsters to use regularly in levels, like zombie, imp, cacodemon, hell knight / baron class monsters. Most monsters that could be classified as "bosses" likely won't be used much, if at all. If you want to submit a monster, try and aim for a non-boss type. =)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Nanami wrote:And on another note, to everyone, if you want to submit a monster, remember that most people would rather have a big collection of low to medium power monsters to use regularly in levels, like zombie, imp, cacodemon, hell knight / baron class monsters. Most monsters that could be classified as "bosses" likely won't be used much, if at all. If you want to submit a monster, try and aim for a non-boss type. =)
Hooray. Very sensible Nanami.Image

I'd love to spend a little time putting together enough frames for the plague imp I sent to the beastiary (the sort of half rotting skeltal one, using bits of revenant as source images) but I don't have the time ATM. Maybe one day...
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Destroyer wrote:Here's 3 (somewhat) new monsters:

Inferno Demon (doomednum 30001)

He's an orange demon that has the ability to breathe fire and teleport at will without scripts or map spots. He can also bite quickly, so getting near him is considered a fire hazard. He's not too hard to kill, but his speed can give you a hard time, as he's hard to hit due to the fact that he can circle you in two steps.

Pyromaniac Zombie (doomednum 30003)

It's a blue Shotgun Guy! No, actually it's a zombie with a shotgun modified to throw a stream of flames from the nozzle. He also packs homing rockets(Yes, exploding homing rockets) that can also throw flames as they chase you, so be careful when approaching him and remember, don't get too close!

EDIT: Heh whoops, I forgot the 3rd one:

The Hunter (doomednum 30002)

There's not much to say... It's a demon that can throw spawn cubes and take the shape of other monsters to duplicate their attacks. It has no form of it's own so it floats around as a ball of green energy as you'd see on a teleporter.

I have to agree with Nanami:

for any normal mapping project these monsters are totally useless. The ideas themselves are interesting but next time try to create something that can actually be used in a map, not just as 'Look how cool I am!'
Nanami

Post by Nanami »

All right. We've made some changes to the snake demon (which is now named hell guard for some reason (ask Espi)) and I've added the imp, cacodemon, and hell knight from TNT3. I also fixed up your zombie, Graf, so there's no inheritence.

I need to mess with some more things (like obits and some balancing tweaks), but I should have a new version out tomorrow morning sometime, if I don't sleep in too late.
Espi
... in rememberance ...

Post by Espi »

Nanami wrote:snake demon (which is now named hell guard for some reason (ask Espi))
Well he really doesn't remind me of a snake at all even if his torso was from the heretic snake dude. =P I made that set of sprites a long time ago, I may improve them some more.
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

I once made a green imp with the players helmut :D. Dunno what it was, but it looked... intresting. I also took the lower part of centaur and added the heads from the etting to create a form of Cerberus... now I think back it actually looked cool. Yes, I have the patience to modify graphics and frames... I just don't do it often :D.

I love the idea of loads of new types of monsters that would go really well alongside the stock ones, nice work Nanami :). Maybe we could all team up and make the Zdoom ewquivelent of the Skull Tag SP Megawad. A comunity thing... man, I've got too many comunity ideas :D.

Does anyone know where I can get a really good dog sprite for doom? The wolf one is a bit too cartooney for my liking... I want something that isn't too cartoony and fits well with the stock doom monsters... once I finish ROTGS2 I'm gonna finish that Demons tomb map I started... its' going to be more than just a fast paced doom level... it's going to have a few new monsters by me and by that time I'll be able to do new weapons too :). I'll try not to go overboard and just keep it as one level... :).

Plus, there is that mad invasion level I was going to do... that could do with some new types of monsters... Mmmmm...

:twisted:
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

How about the dogs I used in "Marine Assault". I think they are supposed to be Dobermans or similar. I didn't do them (although I did re-colour the slightly), and keep forgetting where they came from originally (WolfenDoom?). They look a bit more mean than the Wolfenstein German Shepherds.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

As for dogs, how about MBF's dog (AFAIK it is idential to Wolfenstein's)? Or a gray version of it as found in Operation Arctic Wolf? Other interesting monsters I have encountered in some WADS are:

-a zombie with a rocket launcher on his shoulder. I saw this first in Obtic but the sprites appear a bit too professional for a homegrown WAD from 1995. Does anybody know where these sprites come from?
-Strain has an interesting imp modification. It doesn't need any sprite replacement and I may code it in a few minutes
-Caverns of Darkness has zombies/shotgunners/chaingunners that spawn a Lost Soul when they die.

One monster I'd really like to see in prticular is the Fire Wyvern from Mordeth (the old first episode). But this it is Mordeth and I think everybody knows the reaction from him when Endgame was released... (Still, it's a really cool monster!)
BouncyTEM

Post by BouncyTEM »

Graf Zahl wrote:a zombie with a rocket launcher on his shoulder. I saw this first in Obtic but the sprites appear a bit too professional for a homegrown WAD from 1995. Does anybody know where these sprites come from?
i'm on it. i'll make that zombie, and i also have a chainsaw zombie that i'll make.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

No need to. I have a full definition for him already. The only thing I don't know is whether I'm allowed to use it for this project. I can't find any information about the graphic's origins and the permissions that come with it.

Code: Select all

//===========================================================================
//
// Rocket Guy
//
//===========================================================================
ACTOR RocketGuy 10101
{
	Health 50
	Radius 20
	Height 56
	Mass 100