[Release] Tiny3 - Escaping Hell (Revelation in thread)

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT Q&A or troubleshooting forums! They are for active projects only! Please use the Editing or General or its subforums for such questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

[Release] Tiny3 - Escaping Hell (Revelation in thread)

Postby Wonoview » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:10 am

Hello ZDoom Forums! I've just gotten into mapping, and thought I would show off my first work. I worked hard on it for 5 hours and it seems alright to me. It's only a small map, but it uses a skybox, MAPINFO and some ACS, so it should be interesting. I thought it would be better to start small, so that I can learn more, and if my maps do end up rubbish, at least it won't take up lots of your hard drive space!

It's called Tiny0 - Ledge-end, and it was inspired by a very old Deathmatch 2.0 WAD called LEDGESI.WAD. My map is a single player map though - and the story is as follows:

"Beaten and bloody, you are thrown unarmed into an arena to fight for your life. You will have to scrounge as much health, armour and ammo as you can in order to survive. If you win, they will let you out"

There's a screenshot in the spoiler below, and the WAD file is in a zip with a text file, attached to this post. I hope it's some good! I intend to make more of these if I can, though obviously not all little arenas! :) Hopefully you have a couple of minutes to spare, and can play it and tell me what you think :)

Spoiler: Screenshot of tiny0


I've made another WAD! It took me 5 and a half hours this time because its an original layout. It carries on from tiny0.wad, so if you want to play this one the intended way, you have to load tiny0.wad and tiny1.wad together, then play through tiny0 and then tiny1 will be MAP02. It uses the same difficulty modes as before. I worked out portals this time and used one of those in part of the level to make it look 3D! That part is shown in the screenshot below. Tiny1.wad is in a second attachment below, with a text file again in the zip. If you have another couple of minutes or so, please play the map and tell me how it is! :)

Spoiler: Screenshot of tiny1


Here's tiny2.wad at last! I've been busy as of late, so I've only really found the time recently to make it. It took me 5 and a half hours again, and this time it has some uses of ACS to make interesting effects. It carries on with your escape from the arena, starting you on the lift from the end of MAP02. Again its best to play this carrying on from tiny0.wad and tiny1.wad in order to get the best out of it. The download is below, and there's a screenshot here too. Hopefully you enjoy it :)

Spoiler: Screenshot of tiny2


Here is tiny3.wad. Read the latest post in this thread to find out what the revelation is! The door opened to a dark tower, which you must now climb. Uses a large skybox to create a landscape, but is otherwise just a tower with a exit. Quite short, but quite tough I think! Carries on from MAP03, best played with the other wads loaded for the sky and previous maps (ammo will be too tight without them). The download is below. Have fun :)

Spoiler: Screenshot of tiny3


I've removed tiny0.zip in order to have space to upload tiny3.zip, but don't worry! I'll package them all together when tiny4 is done.
Attachments
tiny3.zip
My fourth wad! Plays on MAP04 and carries on with the story.
(42.52 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
tiny2.zip
My third wad! Plays on MAP03 and carries on with the story.
(58.47 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
tiny1.zip
My second wad! It follows on from the first.
(53.32 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
Last edited by Wonoview on Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Wonoview
 
Joined: 22 Feb 2009

Re: [Release] Tiny0 - Ledge-end

Postby Imp Hunter » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:57 am

Not bad, keep the good job :)
User avatar
Imp Hunter
「It's not my fault」
 
Joined: 05 Jul 2008
Location: Brazil

Re: [Release] Tiny0 - Ledge-end

Postby Remmirath » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:17 am

Wow. Pretty darn good map. It's very interesting, and excellent as a first map. It's always nice to see a new good mapper around here. :)
User avatar
Remmirath
Laziest mapper on Earth
 
Joined: 23 Dec 2007
Location: Here
Discord: Remmirath#0424
Twitch ID: TheRemmirath

Re: [Release] Tiny0 - Ledge-end

Postby Lolo_is_cool » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:45 am

The map is absolutely nice, i really liked it ^^

also welcome to the ZDoom forums, have a nice day :wink:
User avatar
Lolo_is_cool
O hai Doggy
 
Joined: 19 Oct 2008
Location: italy

Re: [Release] Tiny0 - Ledge-end

Postby Mr.Green » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:21 pm

Not bad.
Took 3 minutes for me. (Yeah,I really suck) :oops:
User avatar
Mr.Green
 
Joined: 05 Jan 2009
Location: Mexico

Re: [Release] Tiny0 - Ledge-end

Postby Penguinator » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:06 pm

Pretty cool and kind of original; I certainly enjoyed it.
User avatar
Penguinator
Resurrect
 
Joined: 22 May 2006
Location: Hell

Re: [Release] Tiny0 - Ledge-end

Postby TypeSaucy » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:25 pm

for starters, these are cool maps you made, i can play this with thiny's weapons mod.good job, dude, and welcome! :thumb:
User avatar
TypeSaucy
 
Joined: 17 Sep 2008
Discord: TypeSaucy #3162

Re: [Release] Tiny0 - Ledge-end

Postby Xaser » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:46 pm

I believe it is my duty to play the skeptic and say there is no possible way this is your first map... because it's very good. :o

Not only does the map look decent (simple and satisfying), but you've managed to capture a "survival horror"-ish feeling of desperation here. Plus there's plenty of height variation, which is simply something you can never get too much of these days. Going vertical almost always makes any map more interesting, and there's plenty here.

Kudos! If this is, indeed, your first map, then I must admit I'm quite impressed. But even if it's not, I sense the start of a great mapping career. Keep it up!
User avatar
Xaser
anarchivist
 
 
 
Joined: 20 Jul 2003

Re: [Release] Tiny0 - Ledge-end

Postby Wonoview » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:44 pm

Thank you all :) I have practiced a bit before now to learn things, but this is my first proper map :)

I will probably start on a second one sooner or later, and put that in here when I'm done with it!
Wonoview
 
Joined: 22 Feb 2009

Re: [Release] Tiny0 - Ledge-end

Postby Coon » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:16 pm

Xaser wrote:I believe it is my duty to play the skeptic and say there is no possible way this is your first map... because it's very good. :o

Not only does the map look decent (simple and satisfying), but you've managed to capture a "survival horror"-ish feeling of desperation here. Plus there's plenty of height variation, which is simply something you can never get too much of these days. Going vertical almost always makes any map more interesting, and there's plenty here.

Kudos! If this is, indeed, your first map, then I must admit I'm quite impressed. But even if it's not, I sense the start of a great mapping career. Keep it up!


Wonoview wrote:It's called Tiny0 - Ledge-end, and it was inspired by a very old Deathmatch 2.0 WAD called LEDGESI.WAD. My map is a single player map though


The key to understanding why some people perceive this map as something superior compared to the mess most genuine first maps end up being, is playing LEDGESI.WAD; there's more to it than just "inspiration"...
User avatar
Coon
Banned User
 
Joined: 14 Jul 2008

Re: [Release] Tiny0 - Ledge-end

Postby Xaser » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:31 pm

So? It's the same layout, but obviously not a direct copy+paste. Wono's version has lighting, looks, and much more than just a couple of stretched vertices or changed textures. Clearly he's put a lot of work into his version of the map, which is a feat for any new mapper, regardless.

For a first time mapper, I see nothing wrong with working with an existing layout -- In fact, it's better he's done it this way. He saw something he liked and worked with it, which is a good way to get the hang of mapping in general. Art classes often teach style by having students attempt to recreate a famous work of art, and he's done no worse here. Hell, he even mentioned the wad as his inspiration. If he had passed it off as his work, 100%, then there would have been something wrong. But he didn't, so there's not. End of story.

If you're too pompous to have understood that in the first place, I think it's about time you pack up your attitude and get off the forums. :arrow:
User avatar
Xaser
anarchivist
 
 
 
Joined: 20 Jul 2003

Re: [Release] Tiny0 - Ledge-end

Postby Project Dark Fox » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:38 pm

That was actually a good, simple level. Again I echo Xaser here, the little survivial horror thing it had going for it really made it. The next thing I caught, after I offed the opposition, was a great use of the skybox. Brilliant design. I await more from you. :)
User avatar
Project Dark Fox
Married Furry Anxiety Bucket
 
Joined: 14 Jul 2005
Location: Louisville, KY USA
Twitch ID: ProjectDarkFox

Re: [Release] Tiny0 - Ledge-end

Postby Coon » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:10 pm

Xaser wrote:If he had passed it off as his work, 100%, then there would have been something wrong. But he didn't, so there's not. End of story


It's not the end of the story because nobody accused him of taking credit for someone else's work in the first place. As a matter of fact, he cited the original work and I quoted it.

The point here is that Ledge isn't a much of a "first wad" in my opinion, It's essentially a not-particularly-impressive retexturing of someone else concept and architecture, 2 elements you made relevant in your previous appreciation.
User avatar
Coon
Banned User
 
Joined: 14 Jul 2008

Re: [Release] Tiny0 - Ledge-end

Postby Xaser » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:26 pm

Coon wrote:It's not the end of the story because nobody accused him of taking credit for someone else's work in the first place.

Hmm. Nobody?
Coon wrote:there's more to it than just "inspiration"...

Sounds like you did.

"Oh, but wait! You misquoted me! My words don't say that and you are wrong!"

Bologna. We all know what you mean.

"No, you are putting words in my mouth and making stuff up. I said that he stole the idea, not that he took the credit."

Blaming someone for taking credit for a wad and blaming them for ripping off the wad are so close to the same thing that you are being stupidly hypocritical in an attempt to cover your own arse -- not that it matters since you're clearly trying to kick a newcomer's rep in the rear without even providing any cause for doing so.

"Your logic makes no sense. You are a wrong-assed pile of monkey nuts."

Ask anyone else and see what they think. I am a rather nonsensical guy most of the time, but even a grade-schooler could see where you're coming from.

"You are wrong because you are retarded."

I suppose I could argue further, but there's no point since I'd be stating the obvious. :|

"You're no fun. I'm going to continue being miserable now."

Don't let the door hit you on the way out. :arrow:
User avatar
Xaser
anarchivist
 
 
 
Joined: 20 Jul 2003

Re: [Release] Tiny0 - Ledge-end

Postby Coon » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:47 pm

Xaser wrote:
Coon wrote:It's not the end of the story because nobody accused him of taking credit for someone else's work in the first place.

Hmm. Nobody?
Coon wrote:there's more to it than just "inspiration"...

Sounds like you did


Not really. Pay a little more attention to the part of my post you didn't quote: "As a matter of fact, he cited the original work and I quoted it"

There's quite a big difference between claiming theft and suggesting remake.
User avatar
Coon
Banned User
 
Joined: 14 Jul 2008

Next

Return to Levels

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest