glowing flats in gzdoom

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
cactus

glowing flats in gzdoom

Post by cactus »

Hello,I was wondering about glowing flats,
is there any glow options available like RGB color control,intensity etc?
If not, is it very difficult to implement?

I think it's a great Opengl feature!
I searched on the wiki, but there are no info about it in the GLDEFS page.
Thank you to inform me if you know something about it.
Enjay

Re: glowing flats in gzdoom

Post by Enjay »

It is possible to set up glowing flats in GZdoom but there isn't much, er... any, customisation in it other than setting them to glow. What it seems to do is take an average of all the colours on the flat then use that as the colour of the glow (or at least it is doing something similar to that). Brightness, colour, height of glow, whatever, cannot be tailored AFAIK.

example

Code: Select all

Glow
{
 Flats 
  { 
   LAVA1 
   LAVA2 
   LAVA3 
   LAVA4
  }

Walls
   {
   FIREBLU1
   FIREBLU2
   }
}
Walls will only glow when they are placed on a floor/ceiling (I know that sounds odd BTW, but hopefully you get what I mean). The "walls" syntax is only kept for compatibility with older syntaxes IIRC.
Hasuak

Post by Hasuak »

Holy monstrosities, this must be added into Wiki. I've been searching for this quite a long time. Gotta test if this works with PNG's. These commands are added into GLDEFS or ACS?
Medricel

Post by Medricel »

Hasuak wrote:These commands are added into GLDEFS or ACS?
GLDEFS.

I may be wrong, but I do believe there is a console command in GZdoom for determining glow height, but that's the only place it can be changed.

Also, glowing flats placed on slopes work correctly nowadays, since the glowing is done with a shader.
cactus

Post by cactus »

thanks for the exemple enjay,

I find weird there s not any customization available for this
because I think this is a great feature.
Maybe it disturbs me because all the zdoom effects take so many custom variables I took the habit.
Hasuak

Post by Hasuak »

Hm, I can't seem to get my own textures to work. They are normal bmp flats and quite brightly coloured. Original Doom textures still work :I
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Enjay wrote:It is possible to set up glowing flats in GZdoom but there isn't much, er... any, customisation in it other than setting them to glow. What it seems to do is take an average of all the colours on the flat then use that as the colour of the glow (or at least it is doing something similar to that). Brightness, colour, height of glow, whatever, cannot be tailored AFAIK.

example

Code: Select all

Glow
{
 Flats 
  { 
   LAVA1 
   LAVA2 
   LAVA3 
   LAVA4
  }

Walls
   {
   FIREBLU1
   FIREBLU2
   }
}
Walls will only glow when they are placed on a floor/ceiling (I know that sounds odd BTW, but hopefully you get what I mean). The "walls" syntax is only kept for compatibility with older syntaxes IIRC.

Actually there is but I never tested it. When I rewrote the glowing code to use shaders I added another option:

Inside the glow block use 'Texture texname, "color" [,fullbright]"
This was the start of some more options which so far did not happen (too much work at work... :?)
cactus

Post by cactus »

thanks Graf, I'll try it!
I'll vote for expanding this magic feature!
You've done a marvelous work so far!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Graf Zahl wrote:Inside the glow block use 'Texture texname, "color" [,fullbright]"
Could you please give me an actual example syntax? I've tried entering colours by name, by RGB value (decimal and hex) inside and outside quotes and all I have succeeded in doing is cancelling out the glow. The flat is still drawn fullbright but the glow effect is gone.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Didn't I say that it has not been properly tested yet? Apparently it's not working right now-.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Graf Zahl wrote:Didn't I say that it has not been properly tested yet?
You did. ;)

I just wasn't sure if the lack of it working was down to me not doing it right or the feature itself not working properly.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Hasuak wrote:Hm, I can't seem to get my own textures to work. They are normal bmp flats and quite brightly coloured. Original Doom textures still work :I
Be careful -- BMP is not a supported format in the Doom universe. Make sure you either convert them to Doom GFX format (in SlumpEd, Right-click -> Convert To... -> 'Doom Gfx' or 'Doom Flat' if it's a flat) or use PNG (perfect for GZDoom). If you leave your graphics in BMP format, they won't work.
Xenaero

Post by Xenaero »

I hate to bump the topic but there's some serious problems!

http://xenaero.googlepages.com/glowingmap.wad (Run with Doom2 in GZDoom, map01)

Here's a test wad I constructed. Basic flat glows seem to work fine...I mean, all you really need is the 'flats' field, since if you define them in the 'walls' field, you essentially gain the same result, as you can see in the test wad. But here's where it gets tricky. 'walls' is apparently useless since I have two texture glows defined in there that are attached to textures that are both on the walls and floors/ceilings. Only the flat-based wall textures glow, while the ones on the walls do not, as you can see by Bigdoor1 and Cement9. If you define a texture (NOT A FLAT) in the 'flats' field, you achieve the exact same result, as you can see by my use of Crackle2. 'walls' is basically the same as 'flats', then. Can this be addressed? How about only textures/flats placed on floors/ceilings will glow with the 'flats' field, and textures/flats placed on walls will glow with the 'walls' field?

Also, the 'textures' definitions are out of whack. You can define the texture just fine, and fullbright works, but I cannot, for the life of me, figure out the proper syntax to make the texture glow per the color specified. Graf, you mentioned it doesn't work, but when it does, what kind of syntax is to be expected?

There's also absolutely nothing in the ZDoom wiki about the glow field in GLDefs to begin with. I mean I can add that in myself...But, what else could be missing? I'd have looked at the GZDoom documentation... But it got nuked and pointed to the ZDoom wiki instead. Problem is, it's not complete and updated with everything GZDoom has, obviously. That wasn't a very smart move, and I'm not about to look through the source for everything implemented. :/

Quoth Duke: "What a mess!"

Return to “Editing (Archive)”