[CP]ZDoom Community Train!

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Phobus

Re: [CP]ZDoom Community Train!

Post by Phobus »

I think people need to learn the value of scope and possibly also the value of waiting until you're signed up, else I'll probably die of some blood pressure issue :P

@jalla: Nice work. That'll provide a challenge even to a fully equipped player!
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

Does that mean I can sign up now? :wub:
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Whether or not that's a joke, I'll answer anyway :P

No, sorry, not yet. Wait until I say something along the lines of "Recruiting second wave!" in the title or whatever :P
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

Okie doke. No I wasn't joking, I want in.
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

Phobus wrote: Also, the tunnel idea can't happen as it simply won't work unless half of the train is in a tunnel or something.
I think it actually might be possible, I've been playing with an "animated" sky box idea that might work for entering a tunnel. I'll send you a copy when I get home.
@Monster falling off issue: I've sped up the effect for the proper train wad, so as I see it the monsters may not even be able to keep up. I'll work on some way of killing them when they fall off anyway though.
Yeah, the thing I'm worried about is having some monster that must be killed before you can proceed fall off and be unreachable, making the level unfinishable.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

bagheadspidey wrote:Yeah, the thing I'm worried about is having some monster that must be killed before you can proceed fall off and be unreachable, making the level unfinishable.
Monster blocking lines for that specific part of the train.
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

But it's fun to shove monsters off the train =(

Also if they die when they hit the ground that problem's taken care of once and for all instead of relying on each map author to prevent that situation themselves...

Also that wouldn't really work for my second car; I've got some flying monsters that spawn beside the train and they'd never be able to fly over that car, only beside it.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

bagheadspidey wrote:But it's fun to shove monsters off the train =(
I agree, but if it needs to be insured that the monster be killed, simply preventing the monster from leaving the carriage solves it (as well as makes sure the player must directly fight it, if that is a concern).

I actually think there's something funny in having monsters that can fall off and not die but be swept away instead.
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Knocking monsters off the train is not only fun, but adds a whole new gameplay tactic.

And it's a really simple effect to create:

Use a "Actor Hits Floor" thing in the sector of the area around the train, and have it call ACS_ExecuteAlways.

Code: Select all

Script ??? (void)
{
   DamageThing(0);
}
Done.
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

Zippy wrote:I actually think there's something funny in having monsters that can fall off and not die but be swept away instead.
Yeah, I have to agree with you there...

Ok, how about this solution: The monsters don't die when they hit the ground... instead, they die when they hit the back wall (the horizon line behind the train that the ground scrolls towards). This way they'll run along behind the train but it will pass them up, and once they get far enough behind the train (and hopefully out of sight) they'll die. That way they can be knocked off, they get to run behind the train for a bit, and they die before too long in case they need to be dead to proceed. How does that sound?
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

Could banana peels be added around the proximity of the train for monsters to slip on, with accompanying sound effects?
Captain Ventris

Post by Captain Ventris »

esselfortium wrote:Could banana peels be added around the proximity of the train for monsters to slip on, with accompanying sound effects?
That would make this wad caco-ward worthy. Just saying.
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

Hey, I finished my first submission. Sorry for the large size, I kinda went overboard on the resources. It also is kinda long but not without reason, I wanted to include some epic outside battles and I just couldn't pass up on it.

Download here.

I hope it isn't too hard, it gets sorta HR-esque at times.

EDIT: NOTE: Load zip as wad.
hnsolo77

Post by hnsolo77 »

there is still some polishing to do with mine... cause i may have to change some items up a bit, and or add *hopefully* / remove *:(* monsters and whatnot...

well the monster count is 126 + whatever the archies revive...

oh that and im clearly bending the rules so unless Phobus says that its ok im going to assume that i will need to make a new second train car

http://www.filesavr.com/hnsolo77straincars

yes for the second car i stole the idea from Cyb

if there are any issues please let me know, that and maybe someone could fix my decorate... for i am a dumbass
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

SnowKate709 wrote:Hey, I finished my first submission.
Hey, what happened to "no new weapons?" ;p

That was fun though, and very unexpected =)

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”