[WIP] Virus - Episode 1 "Shareware Release"

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Captain Ventris

Re: [WIP] Virus - Episode 1 "Shareware Release"

Post by Captain Ventris »

Awesome, Phobus. Awesome. Man, I can't wait for Episode 2. The ending sequence was great.
Mik57

Post by Mik57 »

The ending sequence was hilarious, my mesh walker made it about 5 feet before dying :P.
Captain Ventris

Mik57 wrote:The ending sequence was hilarious, my mesh walker made it about 5 feet before dying :P.
Ah. Mine made it all the way to the end, and then the Virus struck it down, which I imagine was the intention.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

It is possible for the Meshwalker ot actually make it to the end, as it is possible for the Spores to win, and the battle to go either way :P I tested and tweaked an awful lot to get that to work both ways :P

@Mik57: Ok, I'll have a look, though the textures can't be misaligned, as they're all one colour!
Captain Ventris

Really? I'd think the Leader would lean the battle rather heavily. Good stuff, though.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Just to clarify - the Meshwalker dies when the Virus dies, if he's not died beforehand (the script ends when he dies, you see...)

And just so everybody knows, I'm going to find the HOM in MAP06 and fix it if possible, then upload it to /idgames and my site tomorrow. Thanks for playing - the new version will be a veyr minor edit, so if you don't want to have to download again, you won't need to.
Mik57

Post by Mik57 »

i could fix it real quick. I know exactly where the HOM is

And what I meant as misaligned textures, I have a midtexture in the map, and its too low.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

It'd probably be easier for me to fix it if you give me the co-ords, as we won't have to transfer it between computers or anything that way.
Mik57

Post by Mik57 »

Its the secret at the top of the map. where all the ammo is.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Ok, I've aligned the texturing there so that it doesn't bleed into the floor (its not a HOM by the way :P)

I've reuploaded to my site, making mention of the minor change. I've also uploaded to /idgames now, so that it can be subjected to /newstuff.

No idea when I'll start Episode 2, but when I do I'll probably get my shovel out, dig up this thread and update you all on it here. Thanks to all of you who have played it and/or given some feedback, I appreciate it :)
Ixnatifual

Post by Ixnatifual »

Only thing that annoys me is that the movement feels a lot better in GZDoom OpenGL mode, but as you mention playing it like this makes it really hard to navigate as it's impossible to discern walls from each other if they're the same colour, short of bumping into them or using the automap, so OpenGL mode is a no go, which means you have to use ZDoom's "fake" 3D up/down, which is sort of shoddy in comparison. But other than that, it's quite fun as well as original, and completely turns the gameplay upside down in a way that makes it a completely different game. Don't pay attention to those few giving negative comments at /idgames, they clearly either didn't "get" this project or they have some sort of grudge against you.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Actually, the last two negative comments are definitely a grudge, as they seem to do that every project I upload... so I've been ignoring any negative review that isn't reasoned out since 2007 I think :lol: (I'd imagine me being a moderator and banning a large number of people may or may not have had something to do with it :P )

And thanks - glad to see high profile mappers like it too :)
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

I haven't played it yet, but it's already on my hd and I have great expectations ;)

Return to “Levels”