One for Wills ;)

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Wills

Re: One for Wills ;)

Post by Wills »

Definitely an improvement. It actually looks good and it's a lot more challenging. Before you get to the big lava room, the layout is definitely meh. I see you kept a few parts of the level intact (the red caged thing). With some more height differences and an improved first part of the level I might actually really like this.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Wills wrote:I see you kept a few parts of the level intact (the red caged thing).
Perhaps it isn't too obvious, but I've kept a lot more than that. I mainly bolted stuff on to the original layout and changed very little in the way of room shapes, or height variation or whatever. Most of the main sectors, for example, will probably still have their original sector numbers. I really didn't want to change it to the point that it would stop being recognisable so I tried to keep reasonably close to the original "oldschool" feel of the level.

By way of a comparison, here is the original and my versions beside each other:

You can see that everything is pretty much where it was and much the same shape. There are just a few more lines dotted around the place. :)

The only bit of logic I changed in the map was to move the blue key slightly. Where it was, it was far too likely that you would find it before you found the blue door, thereby making it pointless. That is still possible, and a similar situation exists with the other keys, but it isn't so pronounced now IMO.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

>:(

I've just been browsing the /newstuff directory and noticed that someone has decided to put the file on idgames without even mentioning it to me. I assume that it was someone here seeing as how this is the only place that I have spoken about the file. I really wish that whoever it was hadn't done that. They have put an unfinished, sub standard WAD that I didn't want on idgames into the database.

I thought that my original post was reasonably clear:
Enjay wrote:Whaddaya think. Worth putting on /idgames or just sticking in the bin?
I wasn't asking for anyone to put the file into the database. I can do that myself. I was asking what people thought. People have told me what they thought and I have altered the file in light of the comments that I have received, and fixed a couple of minor bugs that I discovered too.

I have e-mailed Ty Halderman to ask him to take the file down which I hope he will do soon. When the file is finished (all I have to do is get round to giving a run through on a few different ports), I'll upload the proper copy, not the unfinished version. At present, the file on idgames is not the one that should be there and, had someone not "jumped the gun", it wouldn't be.

:grumpy:

[edit] And I notice that at least two people have already downloaded the unfinished version and posted reviews in the database. At least no one has claimed the /newstuff review. FFS I just wish whoever uploaded it hadn't. :roll: [/edit]

[edit2] Woh! that was quick. Ty e-mailed me back. The file has gone from the main archive and the mirrors will catch up in due course. He's on the ball that Mr Halderman. [/edit2]
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Enjay wrote:>:(
Come to think of it, I believe this happened with ZPack as well: the open testing version that was put out to find bugs, etc., was randomly uploaded to the archives by someone. I have a hard time believing people could be intentionally uploading beta stuff just to be annoying, but at the same time I don't see how someone can be so incredulously dense as to upload something which isn't even theirs. If the original author doesn't even supply the usual text file for upload with the beta, what do the random uploaders even put in there?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I'll give the mysterious uploader the benefit of the doubt and assume that they were doing it with the best intentions but quite why anyone would upload a file that wasn't theirs, when the author(s) is still active in the community and hasn't uploaded the file themselves and doesn't even tell the author that they are doing so is beyond me.

As far as the text file goes, I had included one of the correct format mainly because I didn't want the file being public (in any way) without due credit going to the original author. Presumably if someone uploads a file that isn't theirs that doesn't have a text file, they write it themselves.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Enjay wrote:Presumably if someone uploads a file that isn't theirs that doesn't have a text file, they write it themselves.
I know, but what gets me is what bizarre train of thought gets them from picking up the file to actually writing out the credit information and uploading it all to an FTP server without ever considering the fact of whether or not it is the reasonable thing to do? Sometimes people make poor or irrational judgments with snap decisions, but if you have to take the time to fill out a form there has to be somewhere along the line where maybe... you know... you stop and think about the thing.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Beats me. :shrug:
Grimm

Post by Grimm »

Cutmanmike wrote:Just not good enough for the current doom crowd.
Let's not get confused about who's not good enough for who.
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

Was Enjay credited in the idgames one?
Ixnatifual

Post by Ixnatifual »

It was me. See my explanation below in the spoiler tag.
Spoiler:
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Cutmanmike wrote:Was Enjay credited in the idgames one?
If it was just a copy of the text file I included in the zip, then yes, I would be. And, of course, I now realise that the text file does have a "you may distribute this" section so I guess that's a lesson that I have learned. Don't put a full text file in with an unfinished WAD. :roll:
Ixnatifual wrote:It was me.
:lol:
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

Well, I just finished playing through it and I have to say I enjoyed it =) The ammo placement at the end seemed a little weird, but other than that it felt pretty balanced. I think it needs a map02 ;)
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Here's an idea for a community WAD:

Take 32 old shitmaps that allow modification and compile the results in a megawad. ;)
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

Sounds good, as long as it's not maps made by someone like glassyman who will just LOVE the attention.
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Jimmy »

Just take some 1994 Wads. They could do with a little more care and attention. :P

Return to “Levels”