[Resource] Bubbles! (now with horizontal movement!)

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
JonayaRiley
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

[Resource] Bubbles! (now with horizontal movement!)

Post by JonayaRiley »

EDIT 10/13/08: Horizontally moving bubbles are now in.

Since Enjay requested this over in the CAH project thread, I figured I'd give it a quick go and see what I could do.

Anyhow, this is pretty simple. The included .pk3 has two demo maps (map01 is the GZDoom OpenGL one, map02 is for regular ZDoom or GZDoom in software mode) to show you how things work. Basically, there are two new things to spawn bubbles underwater:

28000 - spawns bubbles that travel up
28001 - spawns bubbles that travel down

Each thing takes four parameters: spawn frequency (0-100), base radius, minimum vertical speed, maximum vertical speed.

For the best results, I'd suggest keeping the base radius under 32 units, and the vertical speed fairly low (like 1-5). The spawn frequency is basically the % chance that each of the three bubble types will spawn every 2 tics, so 50-75 gives you a pretty good stream of bubbles. The spawner things are unaffected by gravity and can be activated and deactivated using ACS or line specials.

The bubbles themselves will travel upwards and jig around randomly a bit. They will pop if they hit the surface of the water, and they also split randomly as they travel.

Anyway, it's pretty simple and should be easy to adapt. Anyone who wants to use this, modify it, or whatever is free to do so. I ask that you give me some credit, but that's it.
Attachments
j5bubbleFX_v2.pk3
Updated 10/13/08
(6.23 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
j5bubbleFX.pk3
(5.99 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
Last edited by JonayaRiley on Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Enjay

Re: [Resource] Bubbles!

Post by Enjay »

Nice bubbles. :)

That's pretty much exactly what I had in mind. Perhaps some of them wander sideways a bit too much. Physics would probably tend to make them rise fairly vertically in water (currents etc aside). Sometimes they tend to move more like soapy bubbles in air than air bubbles under water. Never the less, it's certainly cool and gives me something to work with. Thank you very much. :)
JonayaRiley

Post by JonayaRiley »

Enjay wrote:Nice bubbles. :)

That's pretty much exactly what I had in mind. Perhaps some of them wander sideways a bit too much. Physics would probably tend to make them rise fairly vertically in water (currents etc aside). Sometimes they tend to move more like soapy bubbles in air than air bubbles under water. Never the less, it's certainly cool and gives me something to work with. Thank you very much. :)
Sure, glad you like it.

I like I might modify it a bit to get them to wander less, as I noticed the same thing.
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Project Shadowcat »

That's actually very cool, JonnyFive. :)
JonayaRiley

Post by JonayaRiley »

Well, I was able to make the bubbles behave a bit more realistically. It's kind of weird due to the way ThrustThing works, but they now move back and forth realistically without tending to drift over to one side. Also, I added a min speed parameter and made the max speed the fourth parameter so you can create a bubble stream that won't have random slow bubbles drifting out with the fast ones.

Enjay, you might want to try the updated version, I think it might be more in line with what you're looking for.
Project Dark Fox wrote:That's actually very cool, JonnyFive. :)
Thank you very much.
Unknown_Assassin

Re: [Resource] Bubbles! (now with better jigging!)

Post by Unknown_Assassin »

Any other interesting effects you might make? :)
JonayaRiley

Post by JonayaRiley »

Unknown_Assassin wrote:Any other interesting effects you might make? :)
Any requests? I'm still working on the fireFX thing, but I want to wait to release until I can do up some convincing explosion graphics and clean up the DECORATE a bit. I need to do them for CAH anyway, so it'll happen eventually.
Unknown_Assassin

Post by Unknown_Assassin »

JonnyFive wrote:
Unknown_Assassin wrote:Any other interesting effects you might make? :)
Any requests? I'm still working on the fireFX thing, but I want to wait to release until I can do up some convincing explosion graphics and clean up the DECORATE a bit. I need to do them for CAH anyway, so it'll happen eventually.
I don't have one in mind. I was only curious if you have any other effects that you are going to make besides the FireFX.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

JonnyFive wrote:Enjay, you might want to try the updated version, I think it might be more in line with what you're looking for.
Now that's just about perfect. Excellent job. Exactly the kind of thing I was thinking of. Thank you very much.
JonnyFive wrote:Any requests?
Well, I just mentioned over at Tormentor's "critters" thread that it might be nice to have an object that you could place to create a small insect swarm. You know the way that clouds of mosquitoes (etc) seem to swarm and swirl over a single spot on the ground, or over a bit of water, or maybe around a lamp? Thant kind of thing might be a nice place-able decoration to enhance a swamp-like level or something. I know that projectiles that can circle an actor are certainly possible with DECORATE but I've never really done much to figure out exactly how that works.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

RE: The fire resourse: For explosion graphics, are you leaning more toward firey, Hollywood style explosions, or more realistic ones?

E.G. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uXeC39ut_8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOJftaT_a04
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adBm7U9-8OM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCMXUP2Rm18

8-)
JonayaRiley

Post by JonayaRiley »

Caligari_87 wrote:RE: The fire resourse: For explosion graphics, are you leaning more toward firey, Hollywood style explosions, or more realistic ones?
I was leaning more towards the firey kind, but having a couple more realistic ones in the resource certainly wouldn't hurt at all.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Any thoughts on the bug cloud? I've tried, and failed, to make something convincing. If you know the Thief games, I was trying to make something like the little swarming clouds of Mosquitoes in that game - I'm even found the graphics for it in the game files. However, my DECORATE skills are letting me down. I can't even manage to get a bug actor to circle a central spawning actor. :?
Ceeb

Post by Ceeb »

I'd like to use these in my mod. :)
JonayaRiley

Post by JonayaRiley »

Ceeb wrote:I'd like to use these in my mod. :)
Go ahead, you just credit me somewhere in your text and you can do whatever you want with it. :)

@Enjay: I've been thinking a bit about it and might know a decent-ish way to do it (at least to have the bugs swarm around a central area, if not exactly "circle" it), but I haven't tried anything yet. I'll play around with it a little tonight.
Ceeb

Post by Ceeb »

Woo, kickass. These are great for my lab levels. I have a suggestion, by the way. You should try and make a bubble spawner that shoots bubbles sideways, which then drift up. For vertical cracks.

Return to “Editing (Archive)”