New Community Project: "Knee Deep in ZDoom"

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Remmirath
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: New Community Project:

Post by Remmirath »

What do you mean with "not playing properly"? I didn't get any issue in cutscenes on GZDoom... :?
Gendo

Post by Gendo »

afair there was only black screen. well, gonna check how it works with the newest version then.

edit: well, the intro works only with software renderer... otherwise that's what i get:

Unknown_Assassin

Post by Unknown_Assassin »

Gendo wrote:indeed ;) anyway, i noticed KDiZD's cutscenes not playing properly with gzdoom, anyone else had this issue? (for the time being i stick to playing that wad in regular ZD)
Hmmm...I'm getting this issue too. I'm using GZDoom 1.1.4. :?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

The more important question is: What graphics card are you using - and what resolution?
Unknown_Assassin

Graf Zahl wrote:The more important question is: What graphics card are you using - and what resolution?
Graphics card: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family....this probably is a shitty graphics card, but the computer was at a pretty good price.

Resolution: 1024 X 768
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Unknown_Assassin wrote:Graphics card: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family....this probably is a shitty graphics card, but the computer was at a pretty good price.
You would expect better from Intel. You really would. For shame. Real shame.

Seriously. Some laptops have upgradable video cards. You might look into it, if you can, unless you plan on trashing the laptop soon, anyway.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Intel's graphics cards are garbage. This looks like it doesn't properly read the screen buffer for the camera texture. Do in-game monitors work properly?
Unknown_Assassin

Graf Zahl wrote:Intel's graphics cards are garbage. This looks like it doesn't properly read the screen buffer for the camera texture. Do in-game monitors work properly?
Sorry to sound so dumb, but by in-game monitor (my first time with that term :( ), do you mean the ability to play (actually playing them, not loading them) wads like KDiZD in GZDoom without getting a blank screen? If so, then yes.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I think he may mean the camera textures on the walls in the levels that show you things like what happens when you hit a switch. There's one very early on in Z1M1.
Unknown_Assassin

Enjay wrote:I think he may mean the camera textures on the walls in the levels that show you things like what happens when you hit a switch. There's one very early on in Z1M1.
Oh...that's not a problem. I can see the in-game monitors.
Gez

Post by Gez »

SoulPriestess wrote:You would expect better from Intel. You really would. For shame. Real shame.
You would, but you shouldn't. It's really disappointing from such a brand, but Intel's chipsets are only good at 2D rendering. Whatever they can claim about them, they're totally unsuitable for games or other modern 3D applications. No pixel or vertex shader and a completely screwed Z-buffer are just the beginning.

My advice: get another laptop. Keep this one for doing stuff on Word or Excel and for surfing the net if you want, or give it a nephew/younger sibling/random bum on the streets. And when you get your new laptop, insist categorically on having an ATI or nVidia graphic chipset (either one work okay) but sternly dismiss as rubbish unworthy of even a cursory glance anything with an Intel graphic chipset.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

The problem is that so many desktop computers and laptops are shipping with those awful graphics cards/chipsets these days. :?
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

You guys need to stop posting in this forum. That's twice I've got my hopes up for a Randy announcement :(
Gez

Post by Gez »

Enjay wrote:The problem is that so many desktop computers and laptops are shipping with those awful graphics cards/chipsets these days. :?
Yeah, but the supply is still greater than the demand, so if you insist and aren't afraid of ordering something or taking a walk to the next shop, you should be able to get a laptop in the same price range with an acceptable card.

I fell in the Intel chipset trap once, and I won't do it ever again. Playing Morrowind when everything flickers randomly in and out of existence because the hardware cannot make up its mind on whether a door is before or beyond a building, if some guy's hair is above or under his head, and so on, is painful. And pathetic.
Unknown_Assassin

Gez wrote:You would, but you shouldn't. It's really disappointing from such a brand, but Intel's chipsets are only good at 2D rendering. Whatever they can claim about them, they're totally unsuitable for games or other modern 3D applications. No pixel or vertex shader and a completely screwed Z-buffer are just the beginning.

My advice: get another laptop. Keep this one for doing stuff on Word or Excel and for surfing the net if you want, or give it a nephew/younger sibling/random bum on the streets. And when you get your new laptop, insist categorically on having an ATI or nVidia graphic chipset (either one work okay) but sternly dismiss as rubbish unworthy of even a cursory glance anything with an Intel graphic chipset.
That graphics card came with this laptop. I wanted a nvdia GEForce, but that laptop cost about 1300 bucks compared to this 600 something. Plus getting another laptop......... D: I can't afford another one.

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”