[WIP] Extreme Measures (Doom Through Time Alpha on Pg. 13!)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Cardboard Marty
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

[WIP] Extreme Measures (Doom Through Time Alpha on Pg. 13!)

Post by Cardboard Marty »

"Extreme situations require Extreme Measures."
Spoiler: Previous Contents of Post
Here's a list of what I've done so far.
Extreme Measures: Hits Collection Edition
  • TITLEPIC and M_DOOM finished!
  • New fonts added!
  • New Quit Messages Added!
  • Assault Mech imported from WWHC-Diaz.
  • The Shovel has been added!
  • Coolant Gun added! Still needs some work, though. Takes the place of the Ice Beam from the original XM.
  • The "Grinder Shotgun" added, submitted by Xak! Still needs some work on the animations, but the weapon is good to go! Takes the place of the SPAS12 shotgun from the original XM.
  • Plasma Pistols finished, graphically. Most likely the next weapon to be added!
  • Completed the frontal animation frames for the mod's player character, Cloak! Cloak will be using sounds from Resident Evil 4 (H.U.N.K.'s sounds), as well as some taunt clips from your's truly. ;) For a preview of the character sprite, just look at my avatar.
Next, is the weapon mod you've all been waiting for. *cough*

Originally started before Diaz: Last Hours of Purity, Agent Hernandez: Dawn of Tomorrow is the (now) sequel to WWHC-Diaz. As with Diaz, the approach of the weapon is to be somewhat realistic, and to be graphically unique as well. I had started AH-DoT, like I said, before Diaz. I pitched the Diaz character idea to WildWeasel and we went from there. My time and devotion went into the Diaz project and I had gradually lost the will to work on AH-DoT. Now, with WWHC-Diaz nearing release, I think it's time to take up the torch and continue this mod.

[spoiler="Agent Hernandez: Dawn of Tomorrow Shots]Image
Cast judgment on the undead with Hernandez's signature Judgment Mark II pistol!

Agent Hernandez is extremely skilled in hand-to-hand combat!

The DoomHunt Shotgun makes it's first new, revitalized appearance![/spoiler]

This is going to take a while to do. For example, the weapons are only half finished (and by saying half I'm being generous). I'm not as skilled as WildWeasel concerning DECORATE, and the weapon graphics themselves are going to take some time to do. I'm going to need some help, so when WildWeasel isn't as busy, I'm sure this will take off.

Right now, here's what's been done.
Agent Hernandez: Dawn of Tomorrow
  • Melee is GRAPHICALLY complete.
  • The Judgment Mark II Pistol is graphically complete. Right now, it can fire and has a corresponding Dry Fire when it runs out of ammo. Reload isn't implemented yet ;_;
  • DoomHunt Shotgun graphically complete. Has some sort of weird bug where it can't be deselect and will instead fire automatically until it runs out of ammo. o_o
  • Marteba graphics started.
  • Hernandez has player sounds, but those (along with the ones in Diaz) are pending a change.
That's it for now. I'll try to post here often about the progress of both mods or anything else that comes up.[/spoiler]

Doom Through Time (for Heretic)
(1/31/10 Alpha Release)
Download
Mediafire Mirror

That's right, here's a super super early alpha of Doom Through Time! I decided to release this mostly as a reminder of how far I've come, and for you guys to pillage and plunder of course! I might get back to this some day, but when? I dunno. Enjoy! Feel free to use it for whatever you want, provided you give credit to myself and any of the other artists listed in the .txt file. Also, please read the aforementioned .txt file! Thanks!
Last edited by Cardboard Marty on Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:29 am, edited 19 times in total.
Demolisher

Re: [WIP] Marty's Mods (Currently: WWHC-XM and AH-DoT)

Post by Demolisher »

This looks quite cool.
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

Marty Kirra wrote:[*]DoomHunt Shotgun graphically complete. Has some sort of weird bug where it can't be deselect and will instead fire automatically until it runs out of ammo. o_o
Did you put "loop" at the end of the deselect state? It could possibley be that it's leaking into the fire state because there's nothing stopping it from doing that.
Cardboard Marty

Well here's the code for it.

Code: Select all

ACTOR DoomHuntShotgun : Weapon Replaces Shotgun
{
	Weapon.AmmoType "Shell"
	Weapon.AmmoUse 1
	+Weapon.NoAutoFire
	+Weapon.NoAlert
	+AMMO_OPTIONAL
	AttackSound "DoomHuntShotgun/Fire"
	States
	{
	Ready:
		DHSG A 1 A_WeaponReady
		Loop
	Select:
		TNT1 A 3 SetPlayerProperty(0,1,2)
		DHSU ABCDE 1
		DHSG A 1 A_Raise
		Goto Select+7
	Deselect:
		DHSG A 1
		DHSU EDCBA 1
		TNT1 A 4
		Goto Deselect+7
	Fire:
		DHSG A 0 A_JumpIfNoAmmo("Dryfire")
		DHSG A 1
		DHSF A 1 BRIGHT A_FireBullets(5.6, 0, 7, 5, "Puff", 1)
		DHSF B 1 BRIGHT
		DHSG A 1 A_PlaySoundEx("DoomHuntShotgun/Pump","SoundSlot5",0)
		DHSG ABCDEDCBA 1
		Goto Ready
	Dryfire:
		DHSG A 1 A_PlayWeaponSound("judgment/empty")
		DHSD ABA 1
		DHSG A 1
		Goto Ready
	}
}
Here's the code for it. Everything LOOKS fine, but I don't know what's the deal :P
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

Goto Deselect+7 lands on the fire sequence. Also, there's no A_Lower in the Deselect state
Cardboard Marty

Ah, it's always the stupid mistakes that get me :P Thanks TDA!
Phucket

Post by Phucket »

I Must have it....
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

TheDarkArchon wrote:Goto Deselect+7 lands on the fire sequence. Also, there's no A_Lower in the Deselect state
I'd replace the Goto state+frames with Wait. The last frame will just need A_Lower and it's all set that way.

Wait repeats the last frame and is useful when repeating a codepointer that is waiting for something to happen.

@pic of shotgun: I came buckets
Sniper Joe

Post by Sniper Joe »

It may be too much F.E.A.R. talking, but that shotgun should gib or split people IN HALF sometimes. :P
Ceeb

Post by Ceeb »

I thought you didn't know how to edit Doom? :?
ThatOneZDoomer
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by ThatOneZDoomer »

I gonna say, I really like the Unification Coolant Gun sprites. Aside from the Shovel sprites, I like all the other weapon sprites as well. The spites of the Unification Coolant Gun looks like somewhat of a combination of a couple of weapons from the Zero Tolerance mod. Not that I'm complaining, since I still like the way the weapon looks. It's nice to see new sprites that look good instead of overused sprites from games like Duke Nukem 3D (especially that shotgun) or Shadow Warrior.
Cardboard Marty

Ceeb wrote:I thought you didn't know how to edit Doom? :?
I probably phrased it wrong then. I'm not a level designer, and ACS is still something beyond my reach. In those aspects, I'm completely useless and one day I might get there.

But can I edit? Well obviously yeah. WildWeasel says I'm an "intermediate" but I'm sure I'm a bit lower than that. I've been tinkering with DECORATE on and off since it's addition to ZDoom. So I know quite a bit, but putting that knowledge to use as been a problem for me. I've mainly been the go-to graphics guy for WildWeasel (which has awesomely landed me a credits spot in about every mod he's done since Doom Illustrated), and have attempted to make a couple of weapon mods before, but lost interest or lost my progress due to some freak computer accident. My Hexen mod, Doom Through Time, was an example of the latter that actually showed progress until my HD screwed up.

Anyways!

Extreme Measures: Hits Collection Edition
  • I sent the mod to WildWeasel and Xak yesterday, so I'm not really sure what progress as been made, but here's what I did.
  • Working on the Rifle, which was the default starting weapon along with the shovel in the original. It's probably going to be the only weapon that reloads, however, you can't manually reload it. Think of the Duke Nukem 3D Pistol, how it reloaded automatically after 12 shots. Clip size hasn't been decided yet but whatever is balanced will do.
  • I've done a couple more frames for Cloak.
  • I've been tinkering with the idea of a story, which, wouldn't have an impact on gameplay but it would be fun to read. It's funny, because one of my quit messages references the fact that "Agent Diaz: Last Hours of Purity" now ties in with The Stranger (which, separates it from the Agent Hernandez lore I've come up with somewhat. Canon debates start now! :P). It would be hilarious when a story IS devised and it just so happens to magically fit into the "WeaselVerse", so to speak. Which is completely fine anyway. I'm not really sure how many people are even aware that Diaz has a gigantic ass (not really) story.
  • I need to ask Weasel how he did those helmeted death sounds, so I can apply that filter to my taunts (which will act like the Diaz taunt, but will be an alternate fire for the shovel if things go right.)
  • Some of you might be wondering if I'm going to include the two WWII weapons present in the original. I'm sad to say, probably not, and WildWeasel is most likely glad I'm not. I'm not sure what's in store for them, however. I will state that besides the possibility of the rifle reloading, weapons will stay with giant "clips" to add to the arcade feel of the mod. I have to keep in mind that while I'm primarily working on this myself, that this IS a remake of WildWeasel's mod and I want to stay true to the source material. That being said though...
  • Devised a plan for the inclusion of three new classes, each perhaps with different starting weapons. (Fun fact: Agent Hernandez in WWHC-Diaz was supposed to start out with his own unique pistol as opposed to Diaz's own P50. However, I took a bit too long to "Diazify" the frames I had and WildWeasel had lost interest in the idea.)
Now, for Agent Hernandez: Dawn of Tomorrow.
  • Collects some dust.
  • Here's what I have planned. First off, I need to get comfortable with adding reloading to weapons. Baring I don't make any stupid mistakes in the coding (I'm bound to), this is most likely to be a surprisingly easy process.
  • Hernandez's skin from Diaz is going to be improved. A completely reworking on the graphics may be in order soon.
  • With that being said, Hernandez isn't going to be the only playable character. Right now, four others are planned, and another one possibly becoming a hidden class, with another pending "canon", hehe. Olivia Diaz, Alejandro Molinero, and *gasp* Mercedes Cortes join the fray! The idea is similar to what will eventually be present in XM. These characters will have different starting weapons and possibly have different attributes. Diaz, for example, will start with her P50 pistol. Implementation of this is probably a ways off though: I need to make some actual progress on the weapons themselves before I start getting too deep into the frilly stuff. ;)
  • Sniper Joe, that idea will definitely be considered. I'll be messing with custom states alot, I can guarantee it. So you're bound to see something like this in the future.
TheOneZDoomer wrote:I gonna say, I really like the Unification Coolant Gun sprites. Aside from the Shovel sprites, I like all the other weapon sprites as well. The spites of the Unification Coolant Gun looks like somewhat of a combination of a couple of weapons from the Zero Tolerance mod. Not that I'm complaining, since I still like the way the weapon looks. It's nice to see new sprites that look good instead of overused sprites from games like Duke Nukem 3D (especially that shotgun) or Shadow Warrior.
Thank you! Yes, the UCG (you can call it a freezeray or whatever) is a combination of Nmn/Paul graphics, and I'm glad you like the way it looks. I'm not really a straight up weapon artist in the sense of Eriance or Corrupt Marine, so you're bound to be like, "Hey, isn't this a piece of that Doom 3 Shotgun?" or "Hey, I know this Pistol from somewhere...but it looks so different!" My goal is to be pleasing to the eye but also have awesome gameplay and weapon mods you'll come back to again and again. I agree on your last statement as well. Those graphics have been around a bit too much and I wouldn't be surprised if they had caught a couple of diseases by now after being used so much.

Thanks to you guys who left comments in the form of expressing your dire need to get these mods. :) You guys are my main motivation!

;)
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Keep at 'em, Marty, I love seeing your stuff! I know you want to do these yourself, but I'll say again, if you ever need help with the coding or more tedious aspects of the mod, don't hesitate to call.

Also, you wanted to know about how to do the Helmet Filter effect? Well, most sound editor programs will have an Equalizer or FFT Filter you can use - the Helmet Filter is essentially taking an equalizer and using it to remove all the low tones and double all the high tones. So all treble, no bass. I don't know what sound program you're using, but Cool Edit Pro actually has an FFT preset called "On Hold" that basically is exactly this.
Cardboard Marty

wildweasel wrote:Keep at 'em, Marty, I love seeing your stuff! I know you want to do these yourself, but I'll say again, if you ever need help with the coding or more tedious aspects of the mod, don't hesitate to call.

Also, you wanted to know about how to do the Helmet Filter effect? Well, most sound editor programs will have an Equalizer or FFT Filter you can use - the Helmet Filter is essentially taking an equalizer and using it to remove all the low tones and double all the high tones. So all treble, no bass. I don't know what sound program you're using, but Cool Edit Pro actually has an FFT preset called "On Hold" that basically is exactly this.
I'll probably be asking for your assistance (I'm sure I've already said this somewhere as well) very soon for AH-DoT. Not to mention, because Diaz is a big inspiration for the mod, I'll need to find out how you pulled some things off or how to implement them!

Extreme Measures
  • Cloak's lines for the taunt were finished! Implementation is coming very soon!
Cardboard Marty

Oooh, this is going to be good!

Extreme Measures
  • Power-Up Added: "Weapon of Ass Destruction" added! Trust me, you're going to feel kickass when you pick it up. ;)
Soon, I'll be offering betas for both of the mods once I get a nice sizable selection of weapons in both. :)

Return to “Gameplay Mods”