Reincarnation of Evil - Remaking Doom 3/4 Content in 2

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
przndoom

Re: RoE Monster Pack - Doom 3 monsters in Doom 2

Post by przndoom »

Project Dark Fox wrote:
przndoom wrote:i don't see the point now
Projectiles and items usually are easier to sprite because they are more "static". By the way, do not complain about having the incorrect tools, MS-Paint is my image editing tool of choice.
Sometimes, all you need is a little patience.

lol please don't imply im complaining and saying : " I wish I had better software"...

I was simply informing you on the tools I'm using to edit with cuz I thought you going to post some advice since you said you have more experience than i do and my X2 sprites aren't good, and mentioned you have to find other ways to do it.
Phobus wrote:Fact: MSPaint made Virus, amongst other things :P That's how good it is.

And ontopic: I have to say, what I've seen here is quite well done. Most sprites are better quality than I could produce (which would also explain why it's been in development for so long)

and a great game it is lol... thank you phobus lol

Cap toe. did a great job on the trite and caco and forgotten one..i admire his work..and i admire ghastly patients and making good DECOR for the monsters....and if im not mistaken icy made a good sample of the doom3guy somewhere in zdoom..i only do this as a hobby and not really committed to them cuz that would feel like work...and i don't like work and i have to do 7 essays 6 page MLA style due tomorrow :shock:

overtime I learn new things and i would appreciate if anyone wants to give some pointers
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

przndoom wrote:and if im not mistaken icy made a good sample of the doom3guy somewhere in zdoom
That was Flynn_Taggary, if memory serves. Icy hasn't really done any spriting for this, as of yet.

Don't forget Vegeta, by the way, who made the Doom 2.5 monsters, aside from one of the Trite variants :D.
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Project Shadowcat »

przndoom wrote:I was simply informing you on the tools I'm using to edit with cuz I thought you going to post some advice since you said you have more experience than i do and my X2 sprites aren't good, and mentioned you have to find other ways to do it.
As one said before, you'd have to ramp up the detail if you want the whole sprite to look good -- if you were going for that double-sized look in the first place. If you were to maintain the x1 scale, you'd have to find some way to pack the details in. Sometimes you have to drop some detail to make it look good; for instance, the imp head (which already looks too wide), you may have to actually drop the number of eyes to a more managable level. Say... 6. Otherwise it will just look like a mess of pixels.
Vader

Post by Vader »

You've got some really nice stuff here guys... now make a full set of sprites :P

And mspaint rules, period!
przndoom

Post by przndoom »

how did i forget vegeta!!!

hmm i see thanks fox, now i know where you going.

the imp's (as cap said) may be big but it fits in due to it's "cartoon" like. same as other (old school) monsters
the thing i see now is that i might need to shade in some parts of the imp to balance it out a bit..

lol vader hey once i figure out a good way to make the imp do the superman (leap) i can get rolling agian!!!! so close yet so far..80%

right now i feel like editing cutman's ghoul forest..but a silly kinda...anyone know how to deal with maps...i kinda wish to make a mansion. like ball room...for it
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

nd i don't like work and i have to do 7 essays 6 page MLA style due tomorrow
:shock:

And I thought that my essay was bad, I have to write a 2000 word personal essay for tomorrow, you have to do 7x6= 42 pages of writing for tomorrow! I feel sorry for you :lol:

Ghastly could you possibly leak a pack containing all the finished stuff so far, even just to those who have contributed to the pack would be great?
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

CaptainToenail wrote:Ghastly could you possibly leak a pack containing all the finished stuff so far, even just to those who have contributed to the pack would be great?
I was going to after I got the next monster (whichever it may be) and finished the new Shotgun ZSec. Thus far, the big changes would be the Cacodemon, Pistol ZSec, Shotgun ZSec, Wraith and the monster argument editing.
Vegeta(dw)

Post by Vegeta(dw) »

Hey, thanks for including me :D
Ghastly I read that you're going to copy past the new head to the Shotgun Z-sec. I'm pretty good at merging sprites (sad, but probably the best thing I can do on sprite editing), if you send me the new Z-sec sprite set (without the new head), I can do the pasting work.

BTW are you making all sprites twice bigger than default, and then use the SCALE factor, or is it just for preview purposes?
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

I was just resizing my own sprites for previewing, but PrznDoom made them 2x scale to pack a little more detail in.

I'll zip and PM you the sprites to paste, thanks for offering! :D
przndoom

Post by przndoom »

@ cap..well its more like 3-4 but its alot!

yeah it easy for me that way but ill try to minimize when ever possible... no way im going more than X2 that doesn't fit just need a wee bit extra space lol

i only got in to this little by little so yeah i'm learning on the way if i find a cool technique ill try it...ill do what ghastly said ( zoom out then copy n paste that sprite size, if it doesn't looses its purpose)

EDIT: response to below comment
Project Dark Fox wrote:
przndoom wrote:yeah it easy for me that way but ill try to minimize when ever possible... no way im going more than X2 that doesn't fit just need a wee bit extra space lol
Someone hasn't learned what I told them.
:| :glare:
przndoom wrote:yeah it easy for me that way but ill try to minimize when ever possible.
przndoom wrote:.ill do what ghastly said ( zoom out then copy n paste that sprite size, if it doesn't looses its purpose).
Last edited by przndoom on Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:24 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Project Shadowcat »

przndoom wrote:yeah it easy for me that way but ill try to minimize when ever possible... no way im going more than X2 that doesn't fit just need a wee bit extra space lol
Someone hasn't learned what I told them.
DOOMERO-21

Post by DOOMERO-21 »

the archville monster will be the same from doom2?
or will be diferent?
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

The archvile will be quite different from the Doom 2 version. I'll use the Doom 2.5 sprites (so the color makes it stand apart from the original). Not only that, but rather than resurrecting monsters, it'll summon monsters, and have the flame attack that travels along the ground.

It's already mostly coded, but it still needs some slight editing to the sprites. It needs fire on it's hands for all animations, it needs a normal standing animation (Upper body from one of the walking frames pasted on one of the fire attack sprites), and it could use a melee attack, too. It could also use new sprites for it's flame attack, since it's using 2x scale Heretic Maulotaur flame sprites, which look really ugly when scaled up like they are.

Edit: By the way, what should I do about the gravity-affected projectiles? Apparantly, they don't adjust aim to the player's Z height relative to the monster, so if you're higher or lower than an Imp when it throws a fireball, it's aiming at you as though you were on the same height as him. Should I keep the gravity-affected projectiles, find some other way to do it, or make them normal +NoGravity projectiles?
Gez

Post by Gez »

Ghastly_dragon wrote:Not only that, but rather than resurrecting monsters, it'll summon monsters
In Doom 3 this was a necessity given that no demon left corpses.
Ghastly_dragon wrote:Edit: By the way, what should I do about the gravity-affected projectiles? Apparantly, they don't adjust aim to the player's Z height relative to the monster, so if you're higher or lower than an Imp when it throws a fireball, it's aiming at you as though you were on the same height as him. Should I keep the gravity-affected projectiles, find some other way to do it, or make them normal +NoGravity projectiles?
You could try preserving the gravity but adjusting the pitch with A_JumpIfCloser -- define something like three or four firing range, with three or four different pitches. Maximum range uses 45° pitch, minimum uses 0° pitch.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

Gez wrote:You could try preserving the gravity but adjusting the pitch with A_JumpIfCloser -- define something like three or four firing range, with three or four different pitches. Maximum range uses 45° pitch, minimum uses 0° pitch.
That's what I'm doing, but the function I'm using for applying pitch (A_Custommissile aim mode 2) ignores target position (needs A_FaceTarget to aim at it at all), and just applies the specified pitch. If the player's at a higher floor level than the imp, the imp'll miss horribly.

Return to “Resources”