[WIP] Cold As Hell: SE (almost done)

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Captain Proof

Re: [WIP] Cold As Hell (bugfix and enhancement edition)

Post by Captain Proof »

I was wondering about this Project.I had stumbled upon it on the WIP page and downloaded it,but then certain features wouldn't work(ex.when I reloaded the gun wouldn't come back up)so I gave up trying to play it.
It's good so see that this got an update,it really shows some promise to be a good wad.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

hi, i love doom, but just recently got zdoom again.

what can i say ?
this MOD is really one of the best i have seen. really dangerous atmophere.
the bleeding sucks though.

one bandage to stop bleeding completely would be better, the players is punished enough, hitting "h" all the time doesnt makeit better and adds nothing to the atmosphere.

well, i was disappointed that the relaodeing wont work, and hust when i wanted to search for a patch i fond this most recent thread

and due to that i could download
http://www.zdoom.org/files/lars/63a.cab
2.0.63a

and play that awesome mod, wow its really extreme good quality

ah well, and the snow, i never enabled it, soi alsodont expeirience much lag - bit i also just started the 2nd level.

EDIT:
Forget what i said about the snow, i play with snow, i just didnt fully realize it, as it fits perfectlyinto the landscape somehow, and is rather subtle. somehow. :lol:

but anyway very very very nice.
JonayaRiley
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by JonayaRiley »

Mabuse wrote:but anyway very very very nice.
Thanks. I'm glad you were able to get the buggy version playable enough to enjoy it.

The bleeding thing is undergoing some major revisions for the new version. Player health is now doubled, bleeding only occurs down to 20% health, and bandages currently stop bleeding for much longer. I'm thinking of changing it to make bleeding a random chance when you take a hit between, say 20 - 50% health and make a single bandage stop all bleeding until you're hit again (at which point it'll be another random chance). That would seem to work well with the increased player health and some of the weapon tweaks, but I'll put things out for playtesting to get a second opinion.

Anyhow, everything's going well. Maybe 1/3 converted to use GZDoom features with one of the major conversion jobs (the barracks map) done, and a couple really big ones still to go (both the power facility and the staff housing will require a fair bit of work).

EDIT: Also, I've added Snarboo's version of the shotgun, with some small tweaks to make it fit in better with the other weapon graphics. It's a very nice version of the trench gun, and I'm glad Snarboo let me use it in my mod.
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Project Shadowcat »

JonnyFive wrote:The bleeding thing is undergoing some major revisions for the new version. Player health is now doubled, bleeding only occurs down to 20% health, and bandages currently stop bleeding for much longer. I'm thinking of changing it to make bleeding a random chance when you take a hit between, say 20 - 50% health and make a single bandage stop all bleeding until you're hit again (at which point it'll be another random chance). That would seem to work well with the increased player health and some of the weapon tweaks, but I'll put things out for playtesting to get a second opinion.
That is actually far more realistic as well. Here's my thoughts after reading it through, all assuming what you said would be in:

You can start to bleed from a hit from 100%. However, the chance can be lower (say, a bracket from 75-100), but as the D&D player guide says, "A dagger in the eye is a dagger in the eye." The lower the health, the greater chance of a "critical hit".
When using a bandage, the player must stop for about three seconds to apply it. Once done, (as you said) the bleeding stops.
Any Medikit and Stimpack pick-up will automatically bandage the wound at no expense in time.
Because bandages are going to be far more useful now, you should be allowed to bleed out and die.
If a player is not bleeding and is below 20%, they can regain health up to 20% by simply standing still.

Let me know what you think of these little tidbits.
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

I liked Illbleed's idea on bleeding- bleeding above a certain amount would cause loss of life, but bleeding would slowly stop while the character was staying still.
JonayaRiley

Post by JonayaRiley »

Project Dark Fox wrote:That is actually far more realistic as well. Here's my thoughts after reading it through, all assuming what you said would be in:

You can start to bleed from a hit from 100%. However, the chance can be lower (say, a bracket from 75-100), but as the D&D player guide says, "A dagger in the eye is a dagger in the eye." The lower the health, the greater chance of a "critical hit".
When using a bandage, the player must stop for about three seconds to apply it. Once done, (as you said) the bleeding stops.
Any Medikit and Stimpack pick-up will automatically bandage the wound at no expense in time.
Because bandages are going to be far more useful now, you should be allowed to bleed out and die.
If a player is not bleeding and is below 20%, they can regain health up to 20% by simply standing still.

Let me know what you think of these little tidbits.
I really like those ideas, and the current way the mod does things would make it pretty easy to implement. I think I'll mess around with it a bit when I get the chance with your suggestions in mind. The idea of at least partial health regeneration is one I like, as it punishes the player less for, say, having a bad time in one part of the hub and not having enough health later on. At the same time, it still rewards players that are smart about item management. I was thinking about a full-on regenerating health system (completely scrapping the health pickups, except possibly the bandages), but I'm not sure I want to go down that route.

The ammo balance in the mod (especially with the new clip-based system) is focused around surviving single fights. It's a military facility, so there's tons of .45 ACP and 12 gauge ammo laying around (less so with .3006, but it's there), but you can only hold a small amount at a time and you need to reload your weapon fairly frequently. It becomes a matter of being prepared for potential encounters and knowing when to retreat and re-arm. I think it would make sense to have a health system that accomodates a similar style of play.
JonayaRiley

Post by JonayaRiley »

DoomRater wrote:I liked Illbleed's idea on bleeding- bleeding above a certain amount would cause loss of life, but bleeding would slowly stop while the character was staying still.
If I decide to use a full regenerating health system, this sounds like a good idea. Maybe add the ability to apply pressure to stop bleeding faster (if you're standing still, of course) or use the bandages to stop bleeding very quickly (like pdf's 3 second time or so).
Captain Proof

Post by Captain Proof »

You planning on a sequel?
JonayaRiley

Post by JonayaRiley »

Captain Proof wrote:You planning on a sequel?
I've been tossing around a couple ideas for a follow-up. I was considering a follow-up episode in the same visual style, as well as something a bit different and further removed from CaH. I think I may go with the second option, but I'm going to keep quiet about it until I actually... y'know... make something substantial.
Captain Proof

Post by Captain Proof »

Plan on making it a PK3 file thats runnable on GZDoom?I haven't played the fix yet but the part I did play on the original release was well executed.
JonayaRiley

Post by JonayaRiley »

Captain Proof wrote:Plan on making it a PK3 file thats runnable on GZDoom?I haven't played the fix yet but the part I did play on the original release was well executed.
Yep, I moved over to .pk3 when I decided to go GZdoom-only.

You can't have played the fix because it isn't done yet. :wink: I'm honestly hoping to have the revised edition ready by the end of the year, depending on my schedule. I'm pretty busy with life in general, but I usually find time to work on this thing every night.
Captain Proof

Post by Captain Proof »

I must have mistakenly downloaded CAH again...Crap.In any case this is on the list of wads I'm anticipating.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

I fail to see why it needs to be a pk3 to run in GZDoom, but whatever floats your boat.
Captain Proof

Post by Captain Proof »

I'm guessing it would have to be a PK3 to decrease the size of the file wouldn't it?I might be wrong.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Well... the pk3 is a zip, so technically it does reduce the size of the file - however it is possible to play WADs straight out of zip files with ZDoom and GZDoom, so the only real difference made is aesthetic I think.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”