GVHv2 - Beta 7 Released!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

GVHv2 - Beta 7 Released!

Post by Cutmanmike »

About

Ghouls versus Humans is a class based deathmatch Wad which will bring the horrors of The Ghoul's Forest to the deathmatch arena! Players will be able to choose from the three main ghouls from Ghoul 3 or three different types of humans. Each human and ghoul has it's own unique abilities, strategies, pros and cons. Whether it be team based deathmatch or team last man standing, Ghoul vs Humans is a game mode that is not to be missed even if you hate the ghoul series!

Screenshots

Features
  • All new class based gameplay.
  • Team based death match or last man standing support.
  • Other game modes unsupported but playable.
  • All the ghouls from Ghoul 3 as playable classes (except Yurei) and 3 Human classes.
  • Unique abilities and weapons depending on the class you choose.
  • Lots of class specific bots for use in skirmishes.
  • Singeplayer botmatch campaign with a secret final boss fight!
  • 10 specifically designed maps for GVH with new graphics, textures and music.
  • Compatible with almost any other deathmatch WADs.
  • A brand new TITLEMAP and menu graphics.
  • Dynamic music when 5 frags remain in team deathmatch or when the team is tied on the last point of TLMS.
  • Team specific lose/win screens and theme songs.
  • A shortened version of the map in Ghoul's Forest 3 is playable with two different songs.
Download

Download GVH and see the changelog here: http://cutstuff.net/blog/?p=1834
Last edited by Cutmanmike on Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:44 am, edited 43 times in total.
Wills

Re: [WIP again] Ghouls versus Humans

Post by Wills »

Excellent work, I see you haven't given up on this.

Perhaps you could have some kind of Terminator-style gameplay for this - only one or two players are ghouls, and the rest are marines. Whoever kills a ghoul becomes that ghoul.
Phucket

Post by Phucket »

Wait... So I can PLAY as a ghoul? *orgasm*

Not sure if this would be possible, but it'd be kinda interesting if you could incorporate Yurey into it somehow. I was thinking maybe there could be a powerup that someone who's playing as a ghoul can pick up that'll temporarily turn them in to Yurey.

You could probably have player classes. My idea is that each character could have a different weapon and perhaps his or her own strengths in weakness. For example, you could have a guy with a shotgun who's a bit tougher then the other characters. Instead of being killed in one hit by the ghouls, he can take 2-3 hits instead. The main catch is that he'd be pretty slow, and his weapon would require him to be pretty close to the ghoul to use it. Then you could have a girl with a bow, who moves fairly fast. Her weapon would be by far the most accurate, but requires some time to actually get the arrow on, then pull the string back. Unlike in ghoul 3 however, she'd only be able to hold on to the arrow for 5 or 6 seconds before she loses her grip on the string.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Honestly, I believe there should be classes of marines rather than doomguy alone. Maybe each class has a specialty that can counter each of the ghoul types? Like, one has a motion detector which is good against the Creeper, but useless against Sjas and the Jitterskull, who both move erratically. Might be too much work, but it's an idea. :)
Unknown_Assassin

Post by Unknown_Assassin »

How about giving marines the walljump ability with sv_aircontrol in MAPINFO on?
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

Snarboo wrote:Honestly, I believe there should be classes of marines rather than doomguy alone. Maybe each class has a specialty that can counter each of the ghoul types? Like, one has a motion detector which is good against the Creeper, but useless against Sjas and the Jitterskull, who both move erratically. Might be too much work, but it's an idea. :)
A motion detector sounds like it could require a bit of ACS, and I wanna keep it as simple and DECORATE as possible (so it works nicely with skulltag). More of these posts please, I need ideas for the marines/humans!

I doubt walljumping will fit in but I'll certainly make it so you can attach it as an addon. ;)

Btw if I added the Yurei how would I make her work?
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Cutmanmike wrote:Btw if I added the Yurei how would I make her work?
I can think of a simple way: she's temporarily invisible during her walking frames, only appearing briefly. A marine would be tipped off by her presence when he hears a beating heart, a sound that Yurei emits in a radius. She would best be balanced by having low health, like the creeper, and being able to be hit while invisible by more clever marines.
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

I want to keep this balanced as possible, and that means I don't want any invisible classes :P

Also the Yurei is one thing that put players off Ghoul 3 so it's probably best to keep her out of it. There's also the case of Choke which people have asked, but I think he's a bit shit (just look at his animation).
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Yeah, that's understandable. I still haven't beaten Yurei legitimately. :p

I think the Marines should have the same number of classes as the ghouls, so everying is nice and balanced. Three classes I can think of right of the bat are a heavy, a medic and a CQC marine.

The heavy is pretty self explanatory. He's a tank, wields a couple powerful weapons, but is extremely slow. He's mainly for mowing down ghouls out in the open where they can't hide. Trapped in a corner or small hallway, he's pretty much toast.

The medic is the medium class, carrying an SMG or chaingun. His specialty are adrenaline pills, which he can drop for other players or use on himself. They function like mini berserk packs, with the added benefit of making a marine slightly faster and more resistant to being "scared". The downside of adrenaline pills are that they cloud the players vision and, when the rush wears off, leave the marine more vulnerable to attack from being out of breath. Marines can only use an adrenaline pill a few times (possibly once) or risk dying from heart failure*.

The CQC marine is like the scout in TF2. He's armed with his fists and the shotguns. He rounds out the medium range heavy and the long range medic. The closer he is to a ghoul, the more effective fighter he is. However, he's also the most vulnerable of the three at this distance becuase of his low health. He's naturally speedy.

*A possible feature of this is that if a marine OD's on adrenaline pills, he can make a "last stand", where he is buffed up and nigh invulnerable, but dies as soon as the high wears off.
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

The problem with these "commando" classes is that speed will be essential in getting away from Sjas and Jitterskull (maybe not the creeper because he's going to be slower).

The medic is also a pretty bad idea simply because the Ghoul's are going to only be a bit less powerful than they were in Ghoul 3 so healing will be pointless. Not to mention I want to keep this pretty simple pimple, and powerups and the like I'm trying to avoid. Also how would I "prevent marines being scared"? That's totally dependant on the player! :P

Same with health and speed stuff with that CQC dude you mentioned.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

That's understandable, but I'm not sure what else you could do with seperate marine classes.

If the ghouls are going to be instakill, I guess the best thing to do would be to give the different classes seperate weapon loadouts only. Say, one class has the shotguns, which are good against Jitterskull; another has the plasma rifle and chaingun, which are good against Sjas; and the last class has the rocket and grenade launcher, which are good against the Creeper.

I'm wondering if it might just be best to have the doom marine be the only "class" with the standard weapon pickups in the map. It's not very interesting, but it is pretty simple.

Edit: Wait, are you going for classic Ghoul gameplay with the default weapons, the medieval Ghoul 3, or something else entirely? It might cool if you took a page from Left 4 Dead and made the classes strictly different skins, with weapons that an average person would have on hand to fight the Ghouls.

And a level based on the Evil Dead cabin would be totally awesome for this. :D
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

I'm not sure WHAT I'm going for at the minute, hence why I made the topic :P
I'm wondering if it might just be best to have the doom marine be the only "class" with the standard weapon pickups in the map. It's not very interesting, but it is pretty simple.
Which brings me to my next issue. If I leave the weapons in (and other items), ghouls can pick them up, which is okay if weapons stay is on but not in any other case. There's also a problem of classes being able to use weapons I don't want them to have. Sure I could make an ACS script to remove weapons that he shouldn't have, but if you do that you can pick up about a million times of the weapon when you walk over them. I can probably work around this though.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

In that case, the best idea would be to keep the classes homogeneous as far as stats go, but give them different weapons. Then just replace the weapon pickups with ammo or nothing at all.

Honestly, I would love to see a Ghoul game based in modern times with the humans as average people. That would limit your weapon choices to pistols, shotguns, rifles and improvised weaponry such as molotov cocktails. Limiting the human's arsenal to slow, semi-automatic weapons would make for a very tense experience. Having to reload your weapons would add to the intensity, too.

I dunno, I just like the idea of a mod dedicated to a spooky online experience. I like how every Ghoul series has used scares in a different way, with Ghoul 3 requiring the player to act fast while managing his arrows and light source.
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

Sounds like you're after something else. This is a simple mod to add ghouly fun into any deathmatch map. Your idea does sound neat though, and I kinda did it with zombi outbreak. Not for this WAD though ;)

Also making the weapons ammo is a great (but also a HOW DID I NOT THINK OF IT) idea.

Edit: Btw pointless poll time: http://cutstuff.net/blog/?p=210
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Would we see this in a possible movie in the near future? (like AvP). :D

Return to “Gameplay Mods”