[WIP] Virus - Episode 1 "Shareware Release"

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Osiris Kalev

Re: [WIP] Virus - 3 Map Demo released!

Post by Osiris Kalev »

Yeah, you can have parts of a hud come up depending on what class you're using.

PlayerClass <classname> [, <classname2> [, <classname3>]]

Executes the following sub block only if the player is one of the specified classes (represented by their display name).

Straight from [wiki]SBARINFO[/wiki].
Captain Ventris

Post by Captain Ventris »

Osiris wrote:Yeah, you can have parts of a hud come up depending on what class you're using.

PlayerClass <classname> [, <classname2> [, <classname3>]]

Executes the following sub block only if the player is one of the specified classes (represented by their display name).

Straight from [wiki]SBARINFO[/wiki].
I don't understand. How would I put this?

Code: Select all

PlayerClass DoomPlayerClass
{
Base Doom  //Or the SBARINFO stuff, depending
}
Would this make the Doom HUD appear if you played the DoomPlayerClass?
Darsycho
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Darsycho »

Phobus wrote:Here's the link to the page: http://www.phobus.servegame.com/virus.html
and the direct link to the zip: http://www.phobus.servegame.com/ph_virus_demo.zip

Yep, it is indeed done. You can now play MAP01-MAP03 of Virus Episode 1. Next step... rest of the monsters, for Captain Ventris and his cool ZDoom Wars mod :)

Please do comment - I'd like to know what to improve when making later maps. :)
It's very neat, good job.

XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

The_afrit wrote:Image
You, err...got the wrong emoticon there buddy.
Captain Ventris

XutaWoo wrote:
The_afrit wrote:Image
You, err...got the wrong emoticon there buddy.
Haha, that made me laugh.

Well, I don't think your work is [censored word], Phobus. XD
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

I'd actually be willing to believe he thought that was a positive emoticon :P Either way, I'm taking the text at face value and enjoying the ego boosting :P
Osiris Kalev

Post by Osiris Kalev »

No, it's used as a subblock within the HUD code. Just as an example:

Code: Select all

statusbar fullscreen
{
	PlayerClass DoomPlayerClass
	{
		drawnumber 2, HUDFONT_DOOM, red, frags, 276, 1;
                drawimage "MEDIA0", 20, 196;
		drawnumber 3, HUDFONT_DOOM, red, health, 80, 180;
		drawimage armoricon, 20, 172;
		drawnumber 3, HUDFONT_DOOM, red, armor, 80, 156;
		drawimage ammoicon1, 306, 196;
		drawnumber 3, HUDFONT_DOOM, red, ammo1, 295, 180;
		drawimage ammoicon2, 306, 172;
		drawnumber 3, HUDFONT_DOOM, red, ammo2, 295, 156;
	}
}
I can't exactly test it since I'm at work, but I believe that a HUD I was making worked liked that.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

As I understand it, Ventris has decided to go without custom HUDs, due to the two mana types not being catered for on most of the HUDs from games. However, that information is quite handy, and does help shed som light on the nuances of HUDINFO (something I've shied away from).

And in other news, I've done the AirCarrier as well now, leaving just the LandCarrier and the Episode 3 boss. Behaviour-wise the AirCarrier may not be perfect, as it probably can't spawn it's Turret or Drones if it gets too close to the floor or ceiling (respectively). However, I did the best I could with what I had, and nothing was going to be perfect where that's concerned. It does work with it's limited numbers, and it does use all of it's animations correctly too (oddly enough I got everything right first time, except for the Drone spawning, because I made an incorrect assumption about A_SpawnItemEx).

I'll do the LandCarrier next because that's got a definite plan for it... after that I'll see if "Felix" can come to fruition.
Captain Ventris

Phobus wrote:As I understand it, Ventris has decided to go without custom HUDs, due to the two mana types not being catered for on most of the HUDs from games. However, that information is quite handy, and does help shed som light on the nuances of HUDINFO (something I've shied away from).

And in other news, I've done the AirCarrier as well now, leaving just the LandCarrier and the Episode 3 boss. Behaviour-wise the AirCarrier may not be perfect, as it probably can't spawn it's Turret or Drones if it gets too close to the floor or ceiling (respectively). However, I did the best I could with what I had, and nothing was going to be perfect where that's concerned. It does work with it's limited numbers, and it does use all of it's animations correctly too (oddly enough I got everything right first time, except for the Drone spawning, because I made an incorrect assumption about A_SpawnItemEx).

I'll do the LandCarrier next because that's got a definite plan for it... after that I'll see if "Felix" can come to fruition.
Woot! Can't wait to see that those Carriers! They sound like they'll be a lot of fun to fight! :lol:
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Just beat the demo. I must say, very unique and interesting. Certainly a very refreshing use of the Doom Engine that's outside of the same out "Shoot Demons". Levels were very interesting to look at and seems very consistent throughout. My only complaints are the sounds, some of them are really loud. Especially the second weapon, using the Yamato Gun sounds seems to make it more poewrful than it really is. Another complaint is the how slow the player can change altitudes veritcally. I believe there is some property that lets you alter how fast an actor can change heights, although im not sure if it will have any effect on players. Anyways, good work here and hope to see more. :D
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Hmm... the problem with the sounds is that I generally take them from elsewhere, and use them as they come unless I feel they need changing, so generally it's just what it was. As for the altitude... I've done the best I can with that, but I fear there's little more to do without using thrustthingz... which isn't exactly what I'm after.

And thanks :)

@Ventris: The best part of the AirCarrier is it's explosive, fiery death complete with two very powerfully explosive engines to avoid... generally results in one or more of it's spawn being blown up (which for the turret of course means another explosion).
Captain Ventris

Phobus wrote:@Ventris: The best part of the AirCarrier is it's explosive, fiery death complete with two very powerfully explosive engines to avoid... generally results in one or more of it's spawn being blown up (which for the turret of course means another explosion).
Ouch. You might think you've done well, dragging it down with your horde of Flemoids, but...
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Each AirCarrier only has 750 health, and they have low attack power too, even when they've dropped off all of their load (which gives them increased movement speed and an even weaker attack than before). A MeshWalker will easily destroy two or three AirCarriers due to it's superior fire power and health. Something like a CyberDemon would probably rofl at the thought of an AirCarrier attacking it :P
Captain Ventris

Phobus wrote:Each AirCarrier only has 750 health, and they have low attack power too, even when they've dropped off all of their load (which gives them increased movement speed and an even weaker attack than before). A MeshWalker will easily destroy two or three AirCarriers due to it's superior fire power and health. Something like a CyberDemon would probably rofl at the thought of an AirCarrier attacking it :P
Heh. So they have a limited payload, eh? They'd be interesting in a large, open level.
Darsycho
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Darsycho »

some guy wrote: Image
Where are you getting all these emoticons anyways? i saved this as picture on my computer and uploaded it on imageshack.

Return to “Levels”