WW-GZmecha: Download, page 6

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

WW-GZmecha: Download, page 6

Post by wildweasel »

I'm at wit's end working with SBARINFO and HIRESTEX for this mod.

http://armory.drdteam.org/wwmods/inprog ... gzmecha.7z

I was previously working with the R148 revision of GZDoom. I had just got the Heat bar to work perfectly, and weapon selection was working fine. However, upon using R153 to test a hunch I had with InInventory, the heat bar no longer scales properly and now does not even function. Can somebody tell me what the hell is going on?
Last edited by wildweasel on Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
wildweasel

Re: WW-GZmecha: Lots of help needed

Post by wildweasel »

The mod's official to-do list...

Cockpit View
  • Health indicator. Six health "images" are already available in the PK3 file under Graphics. Need to find a way to actually get them implemented - MugShot may work? (figure out how to use MugShot)
  • Change the heat warning message from Print statements to a HUD indicator by the Heat bar, MW2 style. (Change ACS scripts to give dummy inventory flags instead of Prints.)
  • Figure out what to do with the unused space up top and in the center. Blank out the useless green stuff on the center panel and come up with something to use there, too. (Bar readout for some type of limited powerup?)
  • Work on fullscreen HUD as well (low priority)
Weapons
  • Need more weapons in general.
  • Remove all small ammo pickups.
  • Weapon upgrades? EX: Pickup changes SPLAS to MPLAS or LPLAS? Extra mounts for MGUNs?
  • Weapons from MW games that need representation: PPC, SSRM, U/AC20, GAUSS
Graphics
  • Better player skin. Heavy Gear graphics isn't going to cut it.
  • Touch up cockpit graphics. Still some rough edges.
  • Make new bullet puffs to show that these are not ordinary bullet weapons we're dealing with
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Perhaps a screenshot would draw attention:
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

I'm currently in the process of adding a rocket launcher replacement, the SSRM6. Six small missiles are fired in a salvo from both shoulders and have a minor homing effect. From examining DoomRater's Greaser, I've figured out how to do a missile lock indicator. There's a specific way I want to handle the missiles, though. In Mechwarrior 2, you could fire the missile rack and then switch to another weapon and fire that while it reloads. I could just use a dummy inventory item for the "reload" time and have that just steadily fill up every tic (like WWHC-Diaz's psi-energy charging) but I want it to keep reloading even when the player has switched weapons. If I were to take a Decorate-only standing on it, the only way I can think of to do this is to just add this line to every single weapon's Ready state:

Code: Select all

TNT1 A 0 A_GiveInventory("SSRMReload",1)
But that's going to needlessly clutter every single weapon. Can I do something like this to the player class's Decorate definition, or do I need to do it in ACS if I want it to work in real-time?
BouncyTEM
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: 2280 Lol Street: The Calamitous Carnival (formerly Senators Prison)

Post by BouncyTEM »

...I did not just see this. :O

Okay, I want to help out in what little ways I can.

on the better player sprites; while they're nothing special, there is a skin of a Mad Dog / Vulture mech lurking around in the doom community. You should probably find that!

on the SSRM6 issue;

this might be my ignorance since i'm still in the older days of decorate, but;
can't you just give an item or custominventory to the player that every period of time adds an SSRM missile, automatically?

if not, perhaps you should check how ZdoomWars gives the player mana on a consistent basis. I don't know how it does that but it sounds like it's the same thing you want.

right now that's all I can contribute but i'll work some stuff up later.

especially if I can find my old copy of mechwarrior 2...
Project Shadowcat

Post by Project Shadowcat »

Bouncy wrote:on the better player sprites; while they're nothing special, there is a skin of a Mad Dog / Vulture mech lurking around in the doom community. You should probably find that!
EWW. I have the skin but it's dug in deep on a massive skin compilation, not to mention I hate how it looks anyway. I could probably rig up a wireframe (it's a start) that looks a lot better in Paint, having drawn this popular chassis more times than once.

*scraps the idea of lighter units due to the girth of the heavier weapons*
What model were you looking at? Name anything from any Tech Readout, I can probably do it. ... With time.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Model-wise, a Timber Wolf would be preferred. I've already sort of engineered that into the weapons by having the missiles shoot from both shoulder racks.
Tun

Post by Tun »

From the weapons given, it sounds quite a bit like an Owens.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Tun wrote:From the weapons given, it sounds quite a bit like an Owens.
Well, I'm not really well versed in the Battletech universe, all I know is what I learned from Mechwarrior 2.
BouncyTEM
Location: 2280 Lol Street: The Calamitous Carnival (formerly Senators Prison)

Post by BouncyTEM »

Project Dark Fox wrote:
Bouncy wrote:on the better player sprites; while they're nothing special, there is a skin of a Mad Dog / Vulture mech lurking around in the doom community. You should probably find that!
EWW. I have the skin but it's dug in deep on a massive skin compilation, not to mention I hate how it looks anyway. I could probably rig up a wireframe (it's a start) that looks a lot better in Paint, having drawn this popular chassis more times than once.

*scraps the idea of lighter units due to the girth of the heavier weapons*
What model were you looking at? Name anything from any Tech Readout, I can probably do it. ... With time.
While I certainly agree it would be a better temporary mech than the heavy gear...thing, wouldn't you think?

as for mechwarrior 2...is there any intention to get sounds from it? I probably could get a few (if you're interested) if I spent some dedicated effort on it.

probably would be nice to get those PPC sprites too. x.x
Project Shadowcat

Tun wrote:From the weapons given, it sounds quite a bit like an Owens.
An Owens can't mount either a Gauss rifle OR an Ultra Autocannon/20. :P
Wildweasel wrote:Well, I'm not really well versed in the Battletech universe, all I know is what I learned from Mechwarrior 2.
:(
Though a Timber Wolf is a good pick....
Tun

Post by Tun »

@Project Dark Fox: I was referring to the weapons currently seen in the screenshot, as well as the ssrm6 discussed in the following post. Even though Alt. Config A uses ssrm2 packs, rather than the 6...

On a side note, while it wasn't in MW2, could some sort of coolant system be implemented?
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Bouncy wrote:as for mechwarrior 2...is there any intention to get sounds from it? I probably could get a few (if you're interested) if I spent some dedicated effort on it.
Possibly, yes, I would like to have the computer voice at my disposal. As far as weapon and miscellaneous sounds, though, I think it'd be better to find higher quality stuff elsewhere.[/quote]
probably would be nice to get those PPC sprites too. x.x
That could be useful but somehow I think it'd probably be easier to just create a similar sprite - that way we'd be able to animate it in flight.

I should probably stress at the moment that this is not intended to be a full-on Battletech TC, so liberties may be taken - I just prefer the "walking battle tank" style of mech as opposed to the more agile, jets-on-every-limb Japanese style mecha. I might want to add some elements from Steel Battalion as well.

[edit] Yeah, come to think of it Tun, we could have some coolants available for the player to use, and perhaps a super-heat-sink powerup to slow the heat buildup temporarily (I'm thinking the Tome of Power functionality could come in handy here).
Project Shadowcat

If this isn't a full-on BattleTech TC, then maybe I recommend a generalisation of some of the weapons? For instance, the Autocannon can be upgraded from light to heavy (AC/5, AC/10, AC/20), much like the pulse lasers, plus the Streak launchers as they get upgraded launch more and more. One can start with twin Streak-2s and be upgraded to up to a total of 12.

Also, I may adjust the wireframe sprite to look slightly less MadCatty, to something a little more flexible. I'll likely draw a few concepts this morning.
Project Shadowcat

BUMP!

http://prdarkfox.deviantart.com/art/quo ... a-95403024

Want me to get started on this beast, or we could go for the alternative and I can perhaps start ripping frames from MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries and grab the Mad Cat?

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”