PlayStation Doom TC

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Quadruplesword

Re: PlayStation Doom TC

Post by Quadruplesword »

I just now tried the TC and I must say, it really represents the PSX Doom in every way. But I really can't stand playing it because I have to strain my eyes all the time just to see what's in front of me because it's so dark. Especially that last area of E1M5.
DoomKn1ght_

Post by DoomKn1ght_ »

Eriance wrote:I always wondered about PSX doom and Doom64. Is the PSX version just some dumbed down Doom64 doom? I mean, they use a lot of the same sounds and graphics, but none of the new goodies found in the 64 version.
Doom console port order of appearence:

1995:PSXDOOM
1996:PSXFINALDOOM
1997:DOOM64

Actually they've keep sounds from PSXDOOM in DOOM64, music is the same style dark,despair soundtrack
PSXDOOM is darker and more unhealthy though.However DOOM64 was still better than PSXDOOM because
It has completely new level set instead of reduced pc version.
Anyway, I like those music and sounds very much IMO So I am not unhappy they keep psxdoom sounds in
Doom64. (_)3
fenderc01

Post by fenderc01 »

UPDATE:

Added video preview to the first page: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... 0&p=326745
or
Watch directly on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx3uMFh82RY
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

I might put that video on my site (when I'm not at a computer that forbids youtube :ugeek:)
demonoftorment

Post by demonoftorment »

I am in a real pickle with PSX Doom TC. It took hours JUST to process the download. I tried Cutmanmike's version, his PSX Doom TC worked, but that's when the problem came up. I WAS able to download his ZIP file for the music, but here's the problem. When I tried to open the ZIP file for the music, there was an error message saying, "The Compressed(Zipped) Folder is invalid or corrupted." When I tried to extract the contents of the ZIP file to my ZDoom directory, there was another error message. It said, "No files to extract." Because of this, I can't enjoy the full experience of PSX Doom on my PC. :( What should I do???
demonoftorment

Post by demonoftorment »

demonoftorment wrote:I am in a real pickle with PSX Doom TC. It took hours JUST to process the download. I tried Cutmanmike's version, his PSX Doom TC worked, but that's when the problem came up. I WAS able to download his ZIP file for the music, but here's the problem. When I tried to open the ZIP file for the music, there was an error message saying, "The Compressed(Zipped) Folder is invalid or corrupted." When I tried to extract the contents of the ZIP file to my ZDoom directory, there was another error message. It said, "No files to extract." Because of this, I can't enjoy the full experience of PSX Doom on my PC. :( What should I do???
Oh wait a second; I just forgot that I need to download the TC from Firefox, not Internet Explorer.
P.S. Fenderc01, NOW I was able to download your version
demonoftorment

Post by demonoftorment »

The TC is very nice, although it is a little TOO dark. And I have a question. Can you make like a ZDoom version of the TC? ZDoom looks better than GZDoom on my computer.
Dragonsbrethren

Post by Dragonsbrethren »

demonoftorment wrote:The TC is very nice, although it is a little TOO dark.
Go into OpenGL options and turn ambient light up. I played the TC next to a video of the actual PSX version and ended up using an ambient light setting of about 150 to make the dark areas mimic what the video showed. The default is 20 and the batch file that comes with the TC sets it to 50, for comparison.
demonoftorment wrote: And I have a question. Can you make like a ZDoom version of the TC? ZDoom looks better than GZDoom on my computer.
Are you referring you how GZDoom is blurry compared to ZDoom? If so, you just need to change texture filtering to none in the OpenGL settings.
Darsycho
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11

Post by Darsycho »

PlayStation Doom TC kicks Console doom in the ass.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

I'd really like to see this finished some day. It's quite playable already, but I dunno exactly how many details are still missing. No proper HRP support is acceptable, and since console conversions should look like their original versions as much as possible, it's probably even better this way.
Amazing how much atmosphere colored lighting adds to the levels. Wish there had been some of it for the PC version (I think Doomsday has it, though).
lafoxxx
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by lafoxxx »

psx_font.rar
psx_font
(50.7 KiB) Downloaded 136 times
here is the PSX STCFN** Font, if needed.
Gendo

Post by Gendo »

so how about psx final doom TC now? i remember playing it on psx and it wasn't too bad then...
fenderc01

Post by fenderc01 »

Gendo wrote:so how about psx final doom TC now? i remember playing it on psx and it wasn't too bad then...
I liked Final Doom for the PSX also, and would like to do that eventually, but as of now it's not in the works. The program I used to convert the original PSX Doom maps to PC format is not compatible with PSX Final Doom. That means I would have to convert the maps by hand, which I have very little patience to do. If anyone would like to help out with mapping, please let me know.

Another issue I would like to address is for people that are experiencing maps that are darker than desirable. Open the console by pressing ~ and type in gl_light_ambient and then press enter. This will tell you the current value of the ambient lighting. Change it to something higher by typing gl_light_ambient xxx where xxx is a numeric value. Experiment with this until you are at the desired light level. If you are running the TC with the batch file I supplied, then you will need to edit the file called PSXTC.CFG to make the change permanent.
Gendo

Post by Gendo »

hmm... is that program also by you, or at least opensource? i reckon it would spare a lot of work to have a version of it compatible with PSX Final Doom, to avoid manual conversion of so many resources...

well in any case, i just finished the TC and i must say it's a piece of good work :D thanks, man. the only major drawbacks stem from the original version (no archvile, no icon of sin, etc), so i guess it's a near-perfect and very faithful conversion :) i'm glad it didnt go the way ZBlood did, e.g. at times significantly parting ways with original game.
fenderc01

Post by fenderc01 »

The program I used is called jagEdit and it was created by Samuel Villarreal (aka Kaiser in the Doom community). Unfortunately, I don't have the source for it. I will try to contact Kaiser about getting the source and, if he allows, I will post it here. I have a copy of the jagEdit executable on my MediaFire account if you want to check it out.

You can download it here: jagEdit.zip

EDIT:
Here is the source code: jagEdit_source.zip
Thanks Kaiser!

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”