[WIP] Virus - Episode 1 "Shareware Release"

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Delphinus

Re: [WIP] Virus - 3 Map Demo released!

Post by Delphinus »

SetPlayerProperty using fly allows up-down movement, and you can use Delay to time it out.
Unknown_Assassin

Post by Unknown_Assassin »

Risen wrote:Have you done something that would disable "fly/swim down"? It seems to not work for me, which is rather inconvenient. (For that matter, I don't know if "fly/swim up" works, but "jump" works in that case.
Fly up doesn't work. Jump is the fly up command/button until you press stop flying.
Phobus wrote:I myself generally just use the mouse and run forwads or backwards to fly up or down.
It's hard to do that with a laptop mouse. :P I'll probably buy a optical mouse later when I'm not lazy. :P

Alright, I'll get rid of "Stop Flying."
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

Phobus wrote:@Risen: My guess is "fly up/swim up" and "fly down/swim down" are only applicable to being on the wings of wrath and underwater... and as the player here simply has no gravity (but not +FLOAT or whatever it was that made it so that you couldn't go lower or higher than your current target) I suppose it doesn't work because of that. However, to constantly give the wings of wrath would just be a hack... so I'm not sure what to do. And it'd be nice if crouch worked like that, but you can crouch in the air or in the water, so I had to turn crouching off in the mapinfo.
There's an undocumented flag for that, set +FLY on the player and the fly up/fly down keys will work as expected.
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

SnowKate709 wrote:There's an undocumented flag for that, set +FLY on the player and the fly up/fly down keys will work as expected.
That's...wow. A flag that useful never got documented?
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

XutaWoo wrote:A flag that useful never got documented?
Nobody ever bothered to put it in the wiki. Any powerup that inherets from PowerFlight essentially just sets this flag on the player temporarily.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Now we're talking. I'll use that flag alright. Thanks :)
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

According to both ZDoom 2.2.0 and GZDoom's latest official version, that flag FLY doesn't actually exist (as in, +FLY for a flag doesn't exist)... so unless it's in the SVN as a usable flag, it is not for use in that fashion I'm afraid, so for the time being, there can be no fly up/fly down key usage.
.+:icytux:+.

Post by .+:icytux:+. »

Delphinus wrote:SetPlayerProperty using fly allows up-down movement, and you can use Delay to time it out.
but this then?

or is this how you use it and dosn't allow those keys?
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

I've used no scripts to enable flying - I just gave the player +NOGRAVITY. SetPlayerProperty would require a constant looping script, which I'm wary of given the ACS HUD being executed every tic.
.+:icytux:+.

Post by .+:icytux:+. »

why a constant looping script?

id make it a script like ENTER. then just give it the player. and it should end at the map end. and same in the next map. is there any problem with that?
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

Hahaha shows how much I've been paying attention these days. The flag exists, but it's not exposed to the parser in decorate (I just checked through the source now), probably because it's only used by PowerFlight internally. x.x

You would have to make a very long duration PowerFlight powerup and give that to the player, you can do it once. For all intents and purposes it's safe to assume that 0x7FFFFFFF is inexhaustable because it would require the game to be running on one level for months straight to wear off. It's a hack but it should work fine as long as you don't have any other powerups that mess with the flight ability (though you can take the respective PowerFlight thing in a script or inventory to make the player stop flying at any time).
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Hmm... I'll look into that tomorrow I think (anything to delay spriting the Meshflier :oops: ). What you propose does make sense, and is an excusable hack, to say the least.
Delphinus

Post by Delphinus »

SetPlayerProperty needs only to be activated once in the entire map to work, and it works until disabled, with up/down flight movements. Trust me, I know. (I'm working on a WAD built around flying)
Remmirath
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Remmirath »

Phobus wrote:SetPlayerProperty would require a constant looping script, which I'm wary of given the ACS HUD being executed every tic.
I've done this a lot of times to freeze the player, and if i didn't specify the same command with different properties, the player wasn't able to move...it doesn't need looping...Setplayerproperty sets the player property through the entire map, not for just some time...it works like setcolor or setfade, that don't need looping... :wink:
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Right-oh. I'll look into that, though there is one consideration. The Player Class in Virus would have that ability... but then the one in ZDoom Wars wouldn't, because the maps have to work for all different player classes, and if you did that at the start of the map, then evrybody would fly, which isn't the idea. This is a consideration because it'd then make a discrepancy between the two projects where my part is concerned. Are the fly up/down keys important enough in Virus to cause this discrepancy? I'd argue no, but I made it, so it's going to be a little easier for me anyway.

However, going by the number of people trying to "solve this problem" for me, I'll assume it is a big deal for you, and consequently have it so that every map in a Virus wad sets that property as an enter script.

EDIT: Indeed Delphinus' solution works fine. I've put into my library of scripts to be used in every map along with the HUD. I'm not reuploading the demo though, so this is being put in for the finished episode.

Return to “Levels”