The Genesis Saga [Updated 7. 22. 2008]

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Ryan Cordell
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

The Genesis Saga [Updated 7. 22. 2008]

Post by Ryan Cordell »

[Genesis Saga - Doom Enhancement mod -- v1.0 Testing Phase]
Requires the latest SVN versions of software or opengl ZDoom (ZD/GZD, respectively.)

ZDoom/GZDoom SVN Download link

Source port: ZDoom and GZDoom.
(NOTE: Skulltag might not work due to usage of SVN features.)
Completion status: Unknown due to the scope of the project.

Screenshots:
Spoiler:
Author comments:
First of all, let me reiterate by saying Hellraiser's version is a prequel, while mine is the original. :P

Now, I'm sure some of you might find this pretty familiar..

Right now it's in testing phase it says, looking for people to test it and spot out bugs and such. If the mod seems to stop being developed, don't worry about it. Credits are all in the titleback (Or the next graphic following titlepic.) picture, or in the credits lump. If I missed out any, sorry! D=

Yes, as I've spotted, there are tiny problems I haven't ironed out before releasing this, such as lava floors (possibly) not using the right splash, the slime textures throwing out red blood when shot.

The experimental DoomInfo and Doom2Info wads are there to help the gameplay (Some parts may be annoying.) along, and are to be played with the respective IWad used. Please not that the Doom Info wads will take a while and if you want any enhancements to the original maps made through these two mods, please tell me what, where, and I'll consider it. None of these are fully complete and there's just enough finished to make them both span all the maps (Excluding DoomInfo's Thy Flesh Consumed episode, which isn't even written in yet.), in regards to tweaks and such.

Additional credits:
Ashley Carr/DJ Redlight (As I've seen) - For the opening music in the title pic, which is one of his/her remixes of a TNT song.

A work in progress episode for Genesis Saga is also included. Unfinished, bad gameplay and an unfinished map. I doubt the episode will go anywhere, but it's atleast a start into the lifelong dream of making GS into it's own full blown mod.

Features:
- Fully revamped enemies. Include new sounds, possibly new behaviour.
- New enemies to tag along the originals.
- Complete new weaponry excluding John's Palsma Rifle and the BFG 9000.
- Lots of scripting to enhance the game atmosphere.
- Weapon recoil.
- Ambient effects. (ONLY THROUGH THE DOOM INFO WADS, NOT FULLY DONE.)
- Ability to know which terrain you're walking on. You can damage the terrain too.
- New skill mode. (Recognize the homage? =P)
- Upgraded Nightvision capabilities.
- Volatile ammo (May take off if disliked.)

Bugs spotted so far:
Spoiler:
DOWNLOAD LINK

Genesis Saga
Genesis Saga - Music mod
Last edited by Ryan Cordell on Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ryan Cordell

Re: The Genesis Saga [Updated 7. 22. 2008]

Post by Ryan Cordell »

Updated a bit the thread. Sorry for repost.
Sorry Dudu, for slightly ripping off your thread layout. ^_^;

Anywho, I could really use some testers, please. Want to know how this project is, goes and how it could be improved.
DrunkenMelon

Post by DrunkenMelon »

This is possibly one of the greatest wads I've ever played! One problem though, the music does not play after each level. When I start a new game, the music from the main menu plays and after that there is no music! >:( After you beat the level, the score screen's music plays for the rest of the level! You really got to fix that. Other than that, fine job. :D
Ryan Cordell

Post by Ryan Cordell »

I'm not sure. I experienced that if I didn't, I think, use the Doom Info and Music wads together.. I'm not entirely sure.

I will look into it though. Thanks! :)
DrunkenMelon

Post by DrunkenMelon »

Oh...I forgot to download the Music wad. And Sendspace actually has decent speeds at the moment.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Nice Doom 1 effects! :D Just played through episode 1... damn near forgot how fun that episode is.

A few issues and comments:

- Firing rate seems a bit erratic. Not sure if that's intentional.
- I could have sworn I was attacked by a chaingun guy in E1M7. Completely invisible, took more than one shotgun blast to take down, made that rapid-Doom-shotgun chugga-chugga noise.
- When I look out the windows of the armour room in E1M1, there's no rain.
- The walls don't lower in E1M8.
- Not a huge fan of being stuck at the start of the level while it fades in. Could that go just a little bit faster?
- I've never felt any need to use the chaingun. When there's enough monsters to warrant the firepower, either they're too close for me to afford the switch and the windup (the autoshotgun can give me at least some initial breathing room), or I've got just enough space to maneuver that I don't need the chaingun anyway. Never getting close to running out of ammo for the other two guns helps. :D
- Why are the entire barrels fullbright like that?
- I love the shock imp. Just rare and dangerous enough to usually escape if you're alert but still feel that Pyramid Head moment when you see him.
- What is that cell thing in my inventory? o_O
Ryan Cordell

Post by Ryan Cordell »

1) The firing rate comes from a tiny ICD-SE feature that was used on the knife and rifle to make the fire/altfire a bit more random.
2) I'll have to check that - OH YES. I remember now. I DID implant the Chaingunners in there as a sort of throwback to the PSX Doom game. However, I could use custom resources from them, and I'm not sure about using the same ones from KDiZD or UTNT.
3) Darn oversight.
4) I'll have to check that. Darn. I think I forgot to reedit DoomInfo's MapInfo after putting up my prefixes.
5) It's pretty strong itself, and if you can survive past the windup time, you could, effectively, take down bosses with only it at full ammo.
6) The burning barrels or the toxic barrels? Or both? o.o
7) Thanks.
8) Well, it maybe a bit of a "Guide Dang It", but that serves as power for the Nightvision Chip in your helmet. You'll find it in item boxes, like in one of Doom's maps with the rapid blinking sector near the end (Phobos Lab, I think? E1M5?). Once you have it, look around in keyconf for the appropriate key to be able to activate Nightvision. Duke 3D style.
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

Hay gais I forced him to go center sprite only ;3
Ryan Cordell

Post by Ryan Cordell »

You didn't force me. That was my decision all along, I find it about way more correct than side weaponry. :P

Anywho, sorry for the delay. I could've had the fix posted up on the 24th, but I'm was implenting in the flame thrower and fixing things.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Comments so Far:

1.) The InfoWad stuff is REALLY cool - I wanted to do something like this in Doom Enhanced, to give acid pools etc. ambient sounds.
2.) The shotgun reloading mechanic sucks, and is very weird for a weapon that appears to be drum-fed. This may just be due to the lack of animation, though.

This is pretty good, keep at it!
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Blade Nightflame wrote:1) The firing rate comes from a tiny ICD-SE feature that was used on the knife and rifle to make the fire/altfire a bit more random.
I see the reasoning for it, but I'm not sure if I can like it. Is the rifle supposed to be full-auto? Sometimes it fires in super-fast bursts, but other times it feels like a second before the next shot... I once lost like 70 heath thinking I could just jump into the midst of two shotgun guys and spraying them only to get the equivalent of a jammed weapon after the first shot.
5) It's pretty strong itself, and if you can survive past the windup time, you could, effectively, take down bosses with only it at full ammo.
I've just noticed it's also good for clearing places like the start of E1M3.
6) The burning barrels or the toxic barrels? Or both? o.o
The toxic barrels.
Ryan Cordell

Post by Ryan Cordell »

@Kinsie: Ah. I didn't remember that Eriance already had an autoshotgun by the time I spliced these things up. I used one sort of rotating weapon (If you remember one of Xaser's mods, think back to the Mace like weapon that threw out Imp fireballs.) and the original shotgun and spliced them up together. If you're willing to help to atleast make it look like it's rotating, then it'd be fine.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”