[WIP] Virus - Episode 1 "Shareware Release"

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Shadelight

Re: [WIP] Virus - MAP01 and MAP02 screens p5

Post by Shadelight »

Those look cool, I like the arrow pointing through that hole. :)
Risen

Re: [WIP] Virus - MAP01 screens p5

Post by Risen »

Phobus wrote:..likewise using the sky heights to vary buildings and stuff can't work because you can just fly up and see for yourself how that one was hacked into being.
There's no need to have all flat ceilings like in these screenshots have, though... as long as you're not able to go into an area, you can use floors to make the buildings and architecture at different heights.

By the way, these look awesome. This is another project I'd volunteer to help with if I had more time to do so.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

@Risen: I think what I'll need to do is get more creative with my ceilings and edges of rooms where there is the sky (the light blue), simply because the rooms generally look pretty good to me, and then I look up to the sky and realise that it's all obviously chopped off. In some places I've used line horizons and floors rather than just solid walls, but sadly thats not always possible. I shall see what I can do with later maps.

And as for volunteering - no worries, I fully intend to do the whole deal on my own over however long it takes :)
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

Whew, looking good! The visual style really reminds me of the old Freescape engine games (Driller, Castle Master, The Crypt, 3D Construction Kit, etc).
Wills

Post by Wills »

The visual style is what separates this from almost every other Doom project. If the gameplay turns out to be just as unique then we've got a real winner here. Something to go against the hyper-detailing trend that seems to be common these days yet still looks good.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Does flying, fly-through switches, no gore, very high movement speeds for the player, projectiles and some monsters help uniqueness any? I've worked on some z-axis intensive level exploration in places, and again I'm using some StarWing influence for some areas (such as one of the secrets in MAP02) if thats of any importance.

Hell, I'll get the other map done as soon as I can and let you tell me if its unique enough :)

And thanks - it took a while to do some of the styling and architecture (although almost all of the art work was mere seconds, I will admit...)
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Project Shadowcat »

Hey, I didn't know you'd be flying in this one! The look enough makes it stand out so much; I have to say I'll be looking forward to this one. :)
Unknown_Assassin

Post by Unknown_Assassin »

Beautiful screenshots there Phobus. :D
Phobus

Re:

Post by Phobus »

Risen wrote:Hmm... different colors for each direction a wall faces? I look forward to seeing your scripts for rotating polyobjects. :)
Well Risen, just for you I did a rotating polyobject using this colour scheme, and sure enough, it works. Only downside is that I had to make the polyobject have grey corners because I needed to have the polyobject start line somewhere, and I couldn't give that a lineID - so I just made the polyobject a little more artistic.

Here's the script:

Code: Select all

script 1 open  //polyobject with colour changing!
{
   Polyobj_RotateLeft(1,8,64);
   SetLineTexture(1,SIDE_FRONT,TEXTURE_MIDDLE,"AWALL2");
   SetLineTexture(2,SIDE_FRONT,TEXTURE_MIDDLE,"AWALL2");
   delay(64);
   SetLineTexture(1,SIDE_FRONT,TEXTURE_MIDDLE,"AWALL3");
   SetLineTexture(2,SIDE_FRONT,TEXTURE_MIDDLE,"AWALL1");
   delay(20);
   Polyobj_RotateLeft(1,8,64);
   SetLineTexture(1,SIDE_FRONT,TEXTURE_MIDDLE,"AWALL2");
   SetLineTexture(2,SIDE_FRONT,TEXTURE_MIDDLE,"AWALL2");
   delay(64);
   SetLineTexture(1,SIDE_FRONT,TEXTURE_MIDDLE,"AWALL1");
   SetLineTexture(2,SIDE_FRONT,TEXTURE_MIDDLE,"AWALL3");
   delay(20);
   restart;
}
AWALL1 is Yellow, AWALL2 is Orange and AWALL3 is Red

This keeps the polyobject rotating, and makes it pause for 20 tics when the east/west walls are red and the north/south walls are yellow. Whilst turning all walls are orange.

Here's a couple of screenshots showing it in action:
Spoiler: Polyobject Screens
This is the start of MAP03: Power Supply, by the way.
Risen

Post by Risen »

That's a good solution.
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Project Shadowcat »

Whoa; the changing colors and all, they vaguely remind me of StarFox for the SNES.
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

That's what he's going for if you were reading. :P
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

I draw a lot of inspiration from older games which I remember but no longer have, as a lot of newer games either use concepts too difficult to do in Doom, or just aren't as interesting/new :P

As a status update: Obviously with it now being the summer holidays in full swing here in England I'll be getting out more and consequently not working on this as much. However, I can easily say that I'll get MAP03 done, and release the playable 3 map demo... after that things get sketchy, but the idea is to finish off the monster set next so that I can give Captain Ventris a whole Virus team for use in ZDoom Wars, and then for me to finish off Episode 1 (which would only have the current resources).

After that the plans are to have two more episodes at least, each with a more detailed texture set in addition to the current ones (ie. Episode 2 would use patterned versions of the pre-existing blocks of colour, and the pre-existing colours too, and Episode 3 would start using vague, child-like interpretations of real-world materials).
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

*fished up again*

Guess what?

No, its not done yet - however, soon it will be. Look out for the demo either today or tomorrow.

Here's what it promises:

*3 maps (well... there is a 4th, but it's just a temporary ending)
*Introduction to the Turrets, Spores and Prisms
*The Basic Blaster and Blaster
*A fair few secrets, some of which who off more of the pickups and the like
*The entire resource set for episode 1 (however, not all of them are used yet)
*A good glimpse of what is to come gameplay-, mapping- and feature-wise

About 1/4 of MAP03 to do, and then the provisional demo ending :P
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

Well, it's certainly bright and simple, I'm not really too keen on the visual style of this project, it reminds me of the 'no textures' options in Display Options
Whoa; the changing colors and all, they vaguely remind me of StarFox for the SNES.
Yeah, i remember that, but everything was made of wire frames or something :lol:

Return to “Levels”