[Release] Coils of the Twisted Tale

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Gez

Re: [Release] Coils of the Twisted Tale

Post by Gez »

Little warning message at startup: "Seg 2 references a nonexistant vertex. The BSP will be rebuilt."
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

That just means I never built the nodes before releasing the wad. Happens to most wads if you check the console. ZDoom builds nodes internally, so unless theres a reason to build the nodes beforehand, best to let ZDoom handle them itself.
Remmirath
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Remmirath »

I checked with XWE, and the nodes seem to be built...so that's a strange error... :?
FuzzballFox

Post by FuzzballFox »

Downloading now- will test with Skulltag later on my own- XD
Looks good from the screens though, can't wait to play!
hnsolo77

Post by hnsolo77 »

let me say this, Gorefest = Epic Win

the only bug type thing i found was in the sky caves and such area's with F_SKY1 as a floor the sky is off due to the skytexture itself... not much can be done about that i suppose...

still good job
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

I enjoyed this a lot more than your previous works phobus, well done :) It was almost as if you had tons of ideas for seperate WADs and thought SCREW THIS and jumbled them into a single level. It KIND of feels like a community map project, but a good one. Btw you been playing donkey kong country recently? ;)

I got stuck somewhere and either couldn't figure out where to go or a door shut on me that wasn't supposed to. It's in the room to the right where the blue skull key stands where there's a revenant and a cacodemon I think. The door there closed after I went in and hit the switch at the end of the corridor and I couldn't get out, so I had to noclip.

The only other problem I had was the ending. I expected some uber epic boss battle. Seems you avoided using DECORATE this time but I think a end boss would have "rewarded" players, as long as it wasn't too cliché.

Again, good job.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

@Cutty: Actually, the wad was made pretty much how you described :lol: If I'd have kept the checklist and put it in as bonus material, you'd see it for yourself. However, its old maps, rather than abandoned ones. The sort of thing I won't release because its sub-par. And no, but when I was shown vgmusic.com I had to have some dkc music - one of the most memorable games series I ever played.

And as for that door... I'll have a go at it myself, as I generally take the 'alternate' route into there.

The end is... well, I didn't want to make another new monster, so I had to settle for an epic setting and a kind of lame idea. Hopefull it weighs up ok anyway.

And thanks all :)
Gez

Post by Gez »

This door has pegged door tracks.
And in the area after it, how are we supposed to get the automap? I ended up replaying the area to keep a demon alive, jumping on it and then jumping on the computer walls so as to reach it with a strafe run. If that's the correct way for the secret, it's really twisted.

Gotta say all the "no backtracking" passages (lifts that don't come back up and one-way doors) made me reload saves many time. I'm probably too meticulous but I like making sure I've explored everything before going to the next part.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Some of the doors have intentionally scrolling tracks - its different effects depending on the size or design for the door. There is a correct way for that secret which isn't the way you did it, try looking about that long computer panel.

And all of the areas with two options can be back-tracked round and done from the other side. Only linear sections will stop you from going back. Its possible to get 100% everything without cheating if you persevere a little.
Remmirath
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Remmirath »

Just tested your wad, and i've had 30 minutes of pure fun...you've done a hell of a good job, Phobus... :wink:
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

To rectify that issue with the door in the green brick building in Ruins of Heaven, I've sped up the door and shortened the delay drastically, so it can close before the open script is called with no hope of it going any other way.

That should cover it for now. Redownloading the main zip file will give you the update :)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Has anyone had a problem during the fight with the first few Zombies where your pistol keeps going silent when using SVN versions? No idea what might be causing that. I think I'll report it as a bug, just in case (doesn't happen with older Zdooms).

Also, as for building nodes, personally I'd say that it's not best to let Zdoom handle this in a map this size. It makes for a noticeable delay when the map starts. I always build nodes for my maps. :P

Anyway, that's not what I came here to say. What a strange and curious rambling stream-of-consciousness map this feels like. It has elements of some very simple architecture through to quite cunning use of Zdoom features. All the way it's packed with fun fights and entertaining constructs and logic and interesting use of Zdoom features to create new, or at least unusual, methods of gameplay. A very enjoyable map. Thank you.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Actually, I have to be honest. I didn't enjoy it that much. I don't remember what chapter exactly that I got to (12 or 13?), but I just brought down the console and quit. There didn't seem to be anything in it that really gripped me. I found it kind of odd, actually, since I enjoyed For the Hell of It so much, and liked Switchback as well, and they have a good deal common with the style of this map. I guess I can't really explain it, but this map never took the step of making things fun for me in the same way that the other ones did.
NewTiberian

Post by NewTiberian »

I admire the classic style the map has, i can't remember the last time i've played a map with a classic feel like this one,
i have to mention the 'Caves in the Sky' chapter particularly, it reminded me very much of episode 4.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

@Enjay: The silent pistol in places may be due to a silent sector thing in the box where the monsters who are waiting to be teleported in live. Its joined to one of the sectors in that room, which would cause that problem. And as for the map size - aside from the delay, nothing happens. Earlier it was totally unplayable once you got as far to the east as the switch in "Sadist" due to how spread out it was (the nodes didn't build properly because the map was 37000+ map units wide).

Also, thank you :)

@Zippy: There's only 10 numbered chapters, the prologue and the end, so I'd assume you were probably very near the end. Sorry that you didn't find it enjoyable. I think its probably the more classic style of gameplay, which For The Hell Of It didn't have at all, and Switchback only sort of had. Maybe next project out will be more your thing :)

@NewTiberian: The map has roots in some relics I have on my computer from before I knew of ZDoom, so that may explain it.

Return to “Levels”