2X resolution sprites

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

2X resolution sprites

Postby August » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:57 am

Awhile back, someone suggested converting the sprites in DOOM II to 2 or 3 times their normal resolution.
After looking into the idea, I soon realized it was an imposable task. You can't add resolution to a pixilated image. So I forgot about the idea. A year or so later, I came across a file given to me among a ton of other doom wads and art that had a started hi-rez project. I started to work with it, and had some success at doubling the resolution of some sprites.
What I've got so far can be found at:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/nois3k


Any input, positive or negative would be appreciated.
...Oh, and I'm not really a gamer, so forgive me if I used the wrong forum, or something. :)

August
August
 
Joined: 12 Jul 2008

Re: 2X resolution sprites

Postby leileilol » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:59 am

Pfft these are just lame resamples with no new details.
User avatar
leileilol
ダークエルフ!!!!!!!!!!
 
Joined: 30 May 2004
Location: GNU/Hell

Re: 2X resolution sprites

Postby .+:icytux:+. » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:21 am

can you show a sprite so we can see without downloading?
User avatar
.+:icytux:+.
Mr. Happy of the Day!
 
Joined: 17 May 2007
Location: Finland

Re: 2X resolution sprites

Postby Jimmy » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:55 am

Oooh, I'm liking those new marines in the Extras wad - particularly the commando, kickass. :) Good job with those, but there's a couple of edits that look pretty terrible, I'm afraid - see the Hell Knight as an example of one of those.

Keep it up!
Jimmy
I picked a fine day to be lactose intolerant
 
 
 
Joined: 10 Apr 2006
Location: Perth, WA
Twitch ID: JimmySquared

Re: 2X resolution sprites

Postby CaptainToenail » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:06 am

I have to be honest, they actually look worse than the regular sprites with GZDoom smoothing.
CaptainToenail
 
Joined: 06 Jul 2007

Re: 2X resolution sprites

Postby Bashe » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:13 am

Oh oh, let me guess: he just resized them and put them through a sharpen filter a couple of times?
User avatar
Bashe
You've broken my heart~
 
Joined: 10 Nov 2003
Location: Ohio

Re: 2X resolution sprites

Postby MephistoII » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:17 am

very bad. most of them have heavy losts of color.

I would love if you could shown me some real hi-res sprites, and not that shitty filtering. photoshop's default filter is WIDE better, and doesn't have color losts.

And let me say that that kind of crappy work can be avoided with Gzdoom. *AHEM*trilinear & ansiotropic filtering*AHEM*
User avatar
MephistoII
Look at my eyes... you see blood? No? Damnit, that means I'm becoming crazy!
 
Joined: 23 Apr 2008
Location: Spain... *COUGH*

Re: 2X resolution sprites

Postby August » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:35 pm

Hello leileilol. I see you're as nasty as ever.
Eat any children recently?


Actually, I guess I had it coming. I DID ask for ANY input, good or bad. And, yeah, it's not nearly finished yet.
As for the opinion that I just blurred them
MephistoII wrote:I would love if you could shown me some real hi-res sprites, and not that shitty filtering. photoshop's default filter is WIDE better, and doesn't have color losts.
That's not quite the case.
...But, thank you for your opinion. Actually, I blurred them %1, and used the Photoshop filter Emboss, with the overlay setting, and spent about 5 min on each sprite removing saw-tooth edges and smoothing spots that looked really bad, like 45 degree angles. As for the color, most of the "mistakes" you point out are there on purpose so theres some originality to it.

As for Gzdoom...I don't use it because it doesn't work right.
Stick with good, old fashioned Zdoom.
Believe me...it's better.

Thank you to everyone who's posted on this topic. :)

August
August
 
Joined: 12 Jul 2008

Re: 2X resolution sprites

Postby Captain Ventris » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:38 pm

August wrote:As for Gzdoom...I don't use it because it doesn't work right.
Stick with good, old fashioned Zdoom.
Believe me...it's better.


...No it's not. GZDoom works fine. It's assuredly your computer or something.
User avatar
Captain Ventris
Buy my novel, “The Shadow Among The Stars” on Amazon!
 
Joined: 31 Jul 2006
Location: San Antonio, Texas

Re: 2X resolution sprites

Postby MephistoII » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:32 am

august wrote:As for the opinion that I just blurred them

MephistoII wrote:I would love if you could shown me some real hi-res sprites, and not that shitty filtering. photoshop's default filter is WIDE better, and doesn't have color losts.


That's not quite the case.
...But, thank you for your opinion. Actually, I blurred them %1, and used the Photoshop filter Emboss, with the overlay setting, and spent about 5 min on each sprite removing saw-tooth edges and smoothing spots that looked really bad, like 45 degree angles. As for the color, most of the "mistakes" you point out are there on purpose so theres some originality to it.


oh really? you used photoshop? I can't believe it.
Try "Image>image size". just try it.

anyways, I don't see any point of interest in it, as they are only filtered images. I'm sure everybody here would like a really new high res sprites.

august wrote:As for Gzdoom...I don't use it because it doesn't work right.
Stick with good, old fashioned Zdoom.
Believe me...it's better.


maybe it doesn't work right for your sistem. my GeForce 8600m GT runs it smoothly :biggrin: .
The only problem I heard is that it's oficial release has a little problem with A_Explode, but that's fixed in the subversion.
User avatar
MephistoII
Look at my eyes... you see blood? No? Damnit, that means I'm becoming crazy!
 
Joined: 23 Apr 2008
Location: Spain... *COUGH*

Re: 2X resolution sprites

Postby Gez » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:50 am

MephistoII wrote:The only problem I heard is that it's oficial release has a little problem with A_Explode, but that's fixed in the subversion.

Have you just crawled from under a rock? There's been something like half a dozen official releases since the A_Explode bug has been patched... :lol:
Gez
 
 
 
Joined: 06 Jul 2007

Re: 2X resolution sprites

Postby MephistoII » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:43 am

Gez wrote:
MephistoII wrote:The only problem I heard is that it's oficial release has a little problem with A_Explode, but that's fixed in the subversion.

Have you just crawled from under a rock? There's been something like half a dozen official releases since the A_Explode bug has been patched... :lol:


nope, I said I heard. I got into the great world of gzdoom too much later :tongue:
User avatar
MephistoII
Look at my eyes... you see blood? No? Damnit, that means I'm becoming crazy!
 
Joined: 23 Apr 2008
Location: Spain... *COUGH*

Re: 2X resolution sprites

Postby DoomerMr_T » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:51 am

K I see the reason why don't you like his work, but ya know; not too rough.He is a modder just like as many of us here.
DoomerMr_T
 
Joined: 09 Nov 2007
Location: Budapest,Hungary

Re: 2X resolution sprites

Postby Amuscaria » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:56 am

If you really wanted high/er -res sprites. it's best to just REDRAW the monsters using the original monster's poses. There's relaly no way to just expand the monster and then expect it to look good since you wont be increasing the amount of detail. Editing from a expanded sprite will be just as much work as redrawing it.
User avatar
Amuscaria
The Sentient Mushroom
 
Joined: 26 Jul 2004
Location: Growing from mycelium near you.

Re: 2X resolution sprites

Postby Enjay » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:27 pm

Someone posted over at Doomworld in the last few days with examples of a couple of enlarged sprites that they had been working on. They actually looked pretty good. I'm not sure what method they were using but they said it was "largely automated" with some post enlarging touch-up.
User avatar
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain
 
 
 
Joined: 15 Jul 2003
Location: Scotland

Next

Return to Graphic/Audio Patches

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Trendiction.de [Bot] and 2 guests