PlayStation Doom TC

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Re: PlayStation Doom TC

Post by Cutmanmike »

If you're going for a 100% copy of it you may as well buy the game and use an emulator :P
Caz

Post by Caz »

NightFright wrote:That would be different in Doom64 EX. Everything there would be like in the original console version. However, he did the barrel trick a bit wrong: The first barrel to your right (i.e. in the start area) should be the last one to destroy. But anyway...

Now we need PSXDoom EX! ;)
The door opens when all barrels are destroyed, regardless what order you shoot them in. The barrel at the beginning was always the last one because its the closest one near the secret exit, which buys the player enough time to reach that exit.
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Enjay wrote:The first map on Doom64 has a secret exit...
Sneaky bastards! :evil:
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

Cutmanmike wrote:If you're going for a 100% copy of it you may as well buy the game and use an emulator :P
Which you can't run with other mods, or online.
fenderc01

Post by fenderc01 »

Ghastly_dragon wrote:
Cutmanmike wrote:If you're going for a 100% copy of it you may as well buy the game and use an emulator :P
...And you can't run at a higher resolution. 256x240 looks really bad!!
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

Ghastly_dragon wrote:
BUT that wouldn't be a 100% duplicate of the game!!! :P
RichoRosai

Post by RichoRosai »

Not knowing what must have been involved in creating it, that title screen is uncanny.

Question:

Am I messing anything up by bypassing the .bat file and just loading the two PK3s? Running the bat file somehow causes zdoom to stop accepting my controller input.
fenderc01

Post by fenderc01 »

RichoRosai wrote:Question:

Am I messing anything up by bypassing the .bat file and just loading the two PK3s? Running the bat file somehow causes zdoom to stop accepting my controller input.
The .bat file is optional. The main purpose of it is to set up the lighting because a lot of people complained about it being too dark.
RichoRosai

Post by RichoRosai »

fenderc01 wrote: The .bat file is optional. The main purpose of it is to set up the lighting because a lot of people complained about it being too dark.
And on that topic, I guess there's no good way to fix the darkness in software mode/regular zdoom?

Edit:

Although most of why I was hating GL so much turned out to be that apparently mipmapping is turned on by default. Much better now. Jesus but that was ugly!
Ceeb

Post by Ceeb »

Hey Fender, you should know, some of the music is mismatched.

If you'd like, I can go through and tell you what to change them to. I'd love to help in this project.. :D
Ceeb

Post by Ceeb »

Fender, one thing you might want to change, in case you didn't already, is remove the "Picked up a medkit you REALLY need!" message. It wasn't in the PS1 original.

EDIT

This too... Although you probably noticed. :roll: I'm working on matching up the music now.

Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

I always wondered about PSX doom and Doom64. Is the PSX version just some dumbed down Doom64 doom? I mean, they use a lot of the same sounds and graphics, but none of the new goodies found in the 64 version.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Eriance wrote:I always wondered about PSX doom and Doom64. Is the PSX version just some dumbed down Doom64 doom? I mean, they use a lot of the same sounds and graphics, but none of the new goodies found in the 64 version.
Same sounds, yeah; same graphics, no. Doom64 sprites and textures are exclusive to Doom64 (except for all the third-party mods out there that have ripped it, of course).

PSX Doom would be more aptly called a dumbed-down PC Doom; though there are a couple of additions (both games are merged together, so you get to choose either as episodes and this allowed them to put some Doom 2 monsters in Doom 1 levels; there are colored lights in sectors) a lot of content was removed (maps were structurally simplified, the amount of textures was reduced so some levels have a completely different look as a result, the archvile was replaced by a hook and chain decoration...). Some levels were lost, some others were added, and some were shuffled around.
Ceeb

Post by Ceeb »

The biggest change in the PSX version is the music. Rather than rock 'n roll MIDIs, we get kickin' ambient synths.
Jake Crusher

Post by Jake Crusher »

OK, first of all - THANKS A LOT, Fender! PSX DOOM was my first acquaintance with DOOM, only after some time I got my hands on PC Ultimate Doom.
I downloaded your PSX DOOM TC - and it`s really great! I never expected that after all of my PC Doomin`, I`ll be able to get my hands on this TC!
Also, I have to say few things about your TC.

1) - noticed that for some unknown reasons on the "Focus" level, where player is supposed to press the switch to the exit (on the left balcony. if I remember correctly), player`s health began to drain away. A bug, I guess... :)
2) - monsters were moving a little bit slowly, probably because of PSX tech`s limitations - is it possible to do that or it is unnecessary since Doom is very fast action-shooter?
3) - yeah, about the PSX Final Doom - would like to play it as well, since some levels there were great (I`ll never forget my first encounter with Cyberdemon on the 30-th level, Onslaught)
4) - what about the multipayer support? Is it possible to play coop/dm with this TC?

Sorry, if I have written some words wrong - for Russian I am :D
And again, thank you very much for your TC!

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”