Reincarnation of Evil - Remaking Doom 3/4 Content in 2

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Re: Reincarnation of Evil Monster wad - Mancubus done

Post by Ghastly »

That's the problem with living in such an isolated area, there are no cyber cafes anywhere near where I live XD. I've found it's floor-flame attack and the summoning attack on Youtube, but the player kills them too quickly to see anything else (it was on nightmare mode :P).

Imp's done, by the way! Special thanks to Captain Toenail's Scourge monster (which he should resubmit to the Beastiary, since the link was likely lost in the contest thread :P) for the gravity-affected fireball, and the Imp compensating for distance.

Also, just to clarify, the chainsaw zombie takes small swipes at the player, like a melee attack from one of Doom's original monsters, right?
Unknown_Assassin

Re: Reincarnation of Evil Monster wad - Imp done

Post by Unknown_Assassin »

Ghastly_Dragon wrote:Also, just to clarify, the chainsaw zombie takes small swipes at the player, like a melee attack from one of Doom's original monsters, right?
Yes it does.
Vegeta(dw)

Post by Vegeta(dw) »

Uh, floor attack? Is that new? I clearly remember it used a fireball on the first DOOM 3 version.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib2HLsxnUP4 about a minute or two in, there's an archvile (it and some summoned wraiths swarm the player). The walkthrough I have says the three attacks (besides melee) are flamewall, firewall (probably means fireball) and incinerate...?
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

To be honest, I've encountered Archviles many times in Doom3 both on pc and XBox, and I've only ever seen them do one flame attack where they put both their hands out in front of them, and a wall of flame shoots out along the floor and anything caught in it gets toasted, you can tell it's along the floor because I think it even makes the floor yellow with decals or lighting.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

Here's a beta of the Imp: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HSWAO9J8, http://www.zshare.net/download/12728661df46f071/, http://www.badongo.com/file/9619967.

And Mancubus: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HT0CQHPL, http://www.zshare.net/download/12728513ca247eaf/, http://www.badongo.com/file/9619911.

I think the Imp's just about dead-on, but the Mancubus' behaviour is more random than it is in Doom 3. Should I leave it as it is, or change it to left-right-left-right?
DBThanatos

Re: Reincarnation of Evil Monster wad - Betas pg5

Post by DBThanatos »

what the hell!!? where is page 5?? I want to download those things but I cant se page 5!!! :P
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

Nice stuff, these are excellent. :D

There are some things I think could be added or improved:

Imp:
the imp's fireball definately needs more opaque or darker smoke trails, and there needs to be a big puff of blinding smoke after their fireballs explode that lingers for about a second then fades away. Apart from that it acts perfectly, the fireballs fall short over massive distances but this shouldn't be a problem in corridor like levels.

Mancubus:
I love this guy, although I don't remember him ever firing both cannons at once in Doom3, I seem to remember them always firing left - right -left -right, but I think it works quite well what you've done. Also he seems to be weaker, but that may be because the original Doom weapons I was testing with don't quite suit the monsters (are you adding Doom3 weapons?)
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

Oh, also, doesnt the doom3 imp shots the fireballs from the right hand? I think this shouldnt be a problem ;)
And why not making it melee you with both hands, I mean, hit with left, hit with right...

I liked the sprite edit of the mancubus :D, but they indeed shots (IIRC) from one hand instead of both together.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

Nah, this is just a monster wad to be used alongside Doom 2 monsters, or to recreate Doom 3 (I'm hoping to put all the Doom 3 mods together and make Doom 3 completely for Doom 2, minus the annoyances, but that'll take a while and I might not lead that project.)

The Mancubus actually seems a little tougher than what's in Doom 3, since there aren't any headshots. The player speed also make it a lot easier. I'll leave the firing sequence how it is, if anyone wants it exactly how the D3 version fires, it's easy for them to do.

@DBThanatos: Last night I was summoning imps in the demo to see exactly how they work (and if they don't rely on scripted events, my version is just about exact, lol), and it's random which arm they claw with. If I ever have the inclination to do so, I'll do that (and flip the throwing sprites), but it's purely a visual thing.

Edit: Title fixed. I overestimated how many people posted already ;)
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

Ghastly_dragon wrote:@DBThanatos: Last night I was summoning imps in the demo to see exactly how they work (and if they don't rely on scripted events, my version is just about exact, lol), and it's random which arm they claw with.
yeah i know, that's why I said that would be good to have it that way.
Ghastly_dragon wrote:If I ever have the inclination to do so, I'll do that (and flip the throwing sprites), but it's purely a visual thing.
Ghastly_dragon in the very beggining wrote:This is a wad dedicated to remaking the Doom 3 (and Doom 3 expansion) monsters and bosses as accurately as possible
I'd say that flipping the sprites is something very, very easy, and it would help to make things "accurately as possible".
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

DBThanatos wrote:I'd say that flipping the sprites is something very, very easy, and it would help to make things "accurately as possible".
Ack, sprites are already mirrored (E2E8, E3E7, etc.), so flipping the sprites won't really matter one way or another. I should edit that to say "as accurately as possible within reason" :P. The smoke when the ball hits would be pretty hard to make look nice, as well (though I did make the trail more opaque). I just made the fireball shootable, by the way (I can't believe I forgot that XD).
DBThanatos

Re: Reincarnation of Evil Monster wad - Betas pg4

Post by DBThanatos »

One thing is trying to recreate the doom3 rocket explotion shockwave effect perfectly in Zdoom, and something completely different flip 3 or 4 sprites to make the imp shot from the right hand. But in the end, is your mod, so, go as you like. I was just pointing out that strange discrepancy in your posts/goals.
Onslaught Six

Post by Onslaught Six »

It honestly wouldn't take much effort at all to do the code for him randomly using either hand. In fact, I could do it in a few minutes or something.

Anyway.

Mancubus: I dunno, he seemed kinda weak, but that may be because I was using an SSG. In a proper Doom 3 mod, I'd really like to see something like whole-demon types (like Imps, Demons, and all the boss-types) having custom resistances to the SSG and other powerful weapons like the rocket launcher. The sprites are good (although I'm sure I've seen them before) but I think he dies too quickly considering his death sound. Maybe slow down the first couple frames or design some intermediate ones?

Imp: Mehh. I've never liked the D3 Imp's design, it's way too far from how the original Imps looked, and using the Doom64 Imp as a base and basically recolouring it black just makes it look...well, bad. Sorry, dude, fail.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

@Onslaught Six: It only took me about 30 seconds to do the code for the random melee attack :P. I'll increase the delays for the Mancubus' death, too. The mancubus sprites (and the imp sprites, for that matter), are from the Doom 2.5 mod for Edge that was never finished, and have been used here and there. The Doom 2 weapons are more powerful (and faster, I think) than the ones in Doom 3 and the player's much faster, too, so that's why the mancubus is weaker.

About the imp sprites, I can't do better than what I have, I don't have anything better and nobody's offered to do better. I like the new imp as well as the old imp, but personal preference notwithstanding, I certainly won't redesign the look Doom 3 imp for this mod. If you can do better than what I have, I'd be happy for the help, but if you're capable, I think there are some bigger fish to fry, like the pinky, lost soul or forgotten one. The sprites fit the model pretty well, too:
ImageImage

Machinegun and Shotgun variants of the ZSec are done. They use the AI from the ZSec on the R667 Beastiary (No credit given, since I'm the one who coded it :P) since the real map-independant AI (Stand and shoot, maybe take a step to the side or crouch) is quite bland and WAY too easy to kill in Doom 2, but since they don't seem done to me, I'm marking them as 99% done. Next is the pistol variant. I just flipped and copy/flipped the sprites for a second melee attack for the imp. It looks fine from the front, but since the rotations are mirrored, it'll look like a useless amount of work if you're viewing it from different angles (especially 2, 3 and 4 :/).

I just took a look at the .script and .def files for the Archvile (they left them in the demo! XD), and it apparantly has at least two attacks (counting the floorhugger), and for some reason it has code for resurrecting monsters...? Anyone willing to sit in front of an archvile on God mode for a while waiting for it's rarer attack, which is described on the Doom wiki as similar to the original's attack? I just hope it isn't map-scripted.

Return to “Resources”