sounds

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Zell

sounds

Post by Zell »

this isnt quite editing, butm i want to add some sounds to zdoom, but i cant find any good ones...if anyone knows of a good sound site, plz let me know =D
Biff

Post by Biff »

You'll turn up quite a few hits if you search on "sound effects". I wonder where LWM goes for some of her excellent ones...maybe just takes 'em from various games? (LWM, it's safe to come out, "he of great vexation to the spirit" is gone!).
Ultraviolet

Post by Ultraviolet »

http://www.findsounds.com sometimes yields decent results.
Zell

Post by Zell »

hmm...to tell the truth i wanted to steal duke nukems "lets rock" ^_^ at least might-duck-xtreme won't yell at me about wanted to use some duke stuff =p
Ultraviolet

Post by Ultraviolet »

WinTex will open the Duke3d.GRP file, and I think XWE will do it, too. From there I'm sure you can find the sounds.
Zell

Post by Zell »

cool, thx, didnt know wintex could do that :shock: wintex rules =p 8-)
Ultraviolet

Post by Ultraviolet »

WinTex does NOT rule. It's buggy as hell... but for some things it is actually faster than other editors. From "File" in Wintex's main menu select "open Duke3d .GRP file" or something like that.
Hirogen2
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hirogen2 »

Hm, I could pass you some sounds WAD I have lying around at home. Contains some from Quake1,2,(3?) and some others too.
Zell

Post by Zell »

ok, =p i really suck at finding sounds/making sounds, zellpot@hotmail.com hehe make sure 2 zip em first else my inbox wont handle them =p(too big)
Hirogen2
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hirogen2 »

That wad apparently is "007: License to spell Doom", so you might get it at
/pub/idgames/levels/doom/Ports/0-9/007ltsd.zip . Do not worry, those sounds are also just from Q(1|2) and (prbably) HL, some others too.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I use 4 main sources:

1. Other games - most games these days have tools to rip them apart. Look along your games shelf, see what games you have, do a google to find the tools. Quite a few games just use zips, but with a different extension. eg Q3's PK3 files are just zips. I've managed to pull files put of almost every game I own.

Try and use games that other people don't use. We've all heard Duke, Quake, UT etc etc effects. in a number of WADs.

BTW, I think you'll find XWE better for pulling Duke apart. Or find a good prog for converting VOC's to WAV's. IIRC most of Dukes sounds are on the CD as individual files in a dir called "fun" or "cool" or similar

2 Sound effects CD's. Available from some record stores and public libraries.

3. Internet searches of sound sites

4. Record my own. Just go down to the basement and prod the chained up demon with a red hot poker until he makes the right noise.
Zell

Post by Zell »

lol =p cant do #4
(dont got a mic, a basement, or a pet demon =p )
but i had no clue the pk3 files are in zip format :D (cool! =D )
never heard duke in a wad, guess i better go looking =)
heh i wonder(puts in his ps2 max payne cd to find sounds)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Zell wrote:lol =p cant do #4
but i had no clue the pk3 files are in zip format :D (cool! =D )
Come on, we've all got our demons (pun intended). But I can believe we don't all own mics :D

I dunno about Max Payne (PS2) but I certainly got stuff out of the PC version - don't remember what I got, or what I used it for. I remember it was a pretty easy job to get stuff though, but don't know what I did to get it. Because quite a few games use zips (as I said) I usually try to open them with winzip first (don't drop onto winzip - the different extentions are usually enough to confuse it). If that doesn't work, then I do a google. A modern game usually has a host of hacking tools both officially provided, and from 3rd parties.
Zell

Post by Zell »

Zell wrote:
lol =p cant do #4
but i had no clue the pk3 files are in zip format (cool! =D )

Come on, we've all got our demons (pun intended). But I can believe we don't all own mics

I dunno about Max Payne (PS2) but I certainly got stuff out of the PC version - don't remember what I got, or what I used it for. I remember it was a pretty easy job to get stuff though, but don't know what I did to get it. Because quite a few games use zips (as I said) I usually try to open them with winzip first (don't drop onto winzip - the different extentions are usually enough to confuse it). If that doesn't work, then I do a google. A modern game usually has a host of hacking tools both officially provided, and from 3rd parties

=/ google never works for me (im the unlucky person), lol i have ripped a few sounds from ATV offroad fury b4 =p, drop onto winzip? i've never tried that =p lol, btw ur right about that demon, he ran away a few years ago. I think he is in the woods in the back of my house ^_^
The Ultimate DooMer

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

Hirogen2 wrote:That wad apparently is "007: License to spell Doom", so you might get it at
/pub/idgames/levels/doom/Ports/0-9/007ltsd.zip . Do not worry, those sounds are also just from Q(1|2) and (prbably) HL, some others too.
There are a lot of sounds from Sin (a game which other people don't use) in there too, especially the pipe/machine sounds. The rest are mainly Quake 2, Half-Life and Unreal. (and a handful from Quake 1, Malice, Duke, Heretic and Hexen)

Zell wrote:Come on, we've all got our demons (pun intended). But I can believe we don't all own mics
You don't need a mic - all you need is a line-out/auxiliary wire (the sort of thing that connects personal cd players to external speakers) and a stereo that has an auxiliary port (two holes next to each other, one red and one white). This lets you play game sound through the stereo, and you can record onto a tape as normal. In fact you'll get better quality than using a mic, as background noise and distance from the speakers doesn't play a part. But remember to turn up the game volume, as that controls the recording volume (not the stereo).

That's how I do all my sounds. (apart from the Sonic ones, where I had to revert to a stereo with a in-built mic - which is what happens when your megadrive is part of an ancient PC with no external ports for anything like mics or headphones)

Return to “General”