Coop Marines v1.66 - 11/11/09

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Redboy

Re: "Coop-Bots" Update 28/Jan/08 4:53 pm

Post by Redboy »

I think it good to have obey 3 basic command

1) Follow to player straight away

2) Stop - Like guard until will move if saw monsters or call command follow or attack

3) Attack - Go attack anywhere

If you can :)
unknownna

Re: "Coop-Bots" Update 02/Feb/08 12:33 pm

Post by unknownna »

Redboy: I wish I could make the "bots" able to do so, but I don't know how to. Sorry. If only someone knew. :wink:

New update.
Some tweaks here and there. Made the "bots" check for nearest target to attack. This makes them stay alive alot longer. No more "hump wall because the enemy is standing on a sector too tall". :P
Well, at least less of it.

I will from now on use the edit post button If I'm the last one to post here for the updates.
I apologize for not using it before.
bungholio

Re: "Coop-Bots" Friendly decorate actors

Post by bungholio »

Not that I asked you for permission, but to unknownna, I snooped into the bots to figure out how to make them work for heretic and hexen since I wanted to get them working in those games too. If you want to mess around with them since they aren't completely correct since I don't know exactly what I'm doing, feel free to do so.

For the Heretic coop bots:
summon cHtw format
c = color, so G = green, R = Red, Y = Yellow, and B = Blue
The H is always H for Heretic
t = makes the weapon the tomed version if you put the T there, or don't include the T if you don't want it tomed.
w = the weapon. 2 = Elf Wand, 3 = Ethereal Crossbow, 4 = Dragon Claw, 5 = HellStaff, 6 = Phoenix Rod, 7 = FireMace
I didn't get the tomed Elf Wand quite right. I couldn't get the tomed Dragon Claw to spawn Rippers when I fired, so I just removed it. The firing speed of the tomed phoenix rod might seem a little slow, but my earlier attempts at speeding it up made the game laggy. I didn't make a normal bot with the normal firemace, because there's already an elfwand, dragonclaw, and hellstaff. It would be like taking one of them 3 and making it bounce a little, seemed pointless.
So BHT7 will give you a blue heretic player that only shoots tomed cannons.
RH4 will give you a red heretic player that only shoots with the dragon claw.

For the Hexen coop bots:
summon cw format
c = either C for Cleric, F for Fighter, or M for Mage
w = the weapon. 1 = Mage's Wand, 2 = Cleric's Serpent Staff or Mage's Frost Shards, 3 = Cleric's Firestorm or Fighter's Hammer or Mage's Lightning, and 4 = Cleric's Wraithverge thing or Fighter's Quietus or Mage's Bloodscourge
The cleric's serpent staff gives you poison damage and takes away 1 HP every hit. I couldn't figure out how to make the cleric's firestorm not hurt. I also couldn't get the cleric's wraiths to not hurt you if you are in their way. The fighter works fine. The mage's iceshards kill monsters, but it won't freeze them for some reason. I tried changing the projectile for the ice shard to that weird ice monster's ice shard to see if that fixed it, but monsters still died without freezing. The mage's lightning attack can hurt you if you're in the way. The mage's bloodscourge works perfect.

I don't know exactly what I'm doing, so I couldn't figure out how to make the bots immune to your hits so they will die if you attack them. I would have gotten them to work for strife too, but I don't have strife.

EDIT MAY 03 2008: I updated both heretic and hexen coopbots. Heretic should be as perfect as it can get, and Hexen isn't perfect but it's better than it was before.
Attachments
CoopBotsHeretic.zip
(4.27 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
CoopBotsHexen.zip
(5.12 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
Last edited by bungholio on Sat May 03, 2008 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Redboy

Post by Redboy »

Any update news for Coop-Bots ? :)
Redboy

Post by Redboy »

bungholio wrote:Not that I asked you for permission, but to unknownna, I snooped into the bots to figure out how to make them work for heretic and hexen since I wanted to get them working in those games too. If you want to mess around with them since they aren't completely correct since I don't know exactly what I'm doing, feel free to do so.

For the Heretic coop bots:
summon cHtw format
c = color, so G = green, R = Red, Y = Yellow, and B = Blue
The H is always H for Heretic
t = makes the weapon the tomed version if you put the T there, or don't include the T if you don't want it tomed.
w = the weapon. 2 = Elf Wand, 3 = Ethereal Crossbow, 4 = Dragon Claw, 5 = HellStaff, 6 = Phoenix Rod, 7 = FireMace
I didn't get the tomed Elf Wand quite right. I couldn't get the tomed Dragon Claw to spawn Rippers when I fired, so I just removed it. The firing speed of the tomed phoenix rod might seem a little slow, but my earlier attempts at speeding it up made the game laggy. I didn't make a normal bot with the normal firemace, because there's already an elfwand, dragonclaw, and hellstaff. It would be like taking one of them 3 and making it bounce a little, seemed pointless.
So BHT7 will give you a blue heretic player that only shoots tomed cannons.
RH4 will give you a red heretic player that only shoots with the dragon claw.

For the Hexen coop bots:
summon cw format
c = either C for Cleric, F for Fighter, or M for Mage
w = the weapon. 1 = Mage's Wand, 2 = Cleric's Serpent Staff or Mage's Frost Shards, 3 = Cleric's Firestorm or Fighter's Hammer or Mage's Lightning, and 4 = Cleric's Wraithverge thing or Fighter's Quietus or Mage's Bloodscourge
The cleric's serpent staff gives you poison damage and takes away 1 HP every hit. I couldn't figure out how to make the cleric's firestorm not hurt. I also couldn't get the cleric's wraiths to not hurt you if you are in their way. The fighter works fine. The mage's iceshards kill monsters, but it won't freeze them for some reason. I tried changing the projectile for the ice shard to that weird ice monster's ice shard to see if that fixed it, but monsters still died without freezing. The mage's lightning attack can hurt you if you're in the way. The mage's bloodscourge works perfect.

I don't know exactly what I'm doing, so I couldn't figure out how to make the bots immune to your hits so they will die if you attack them. I would have gotten them to work for strife too, but I don't have strife.
Cool Thanks :D
bungholio

Post by bungholio »

I actually updated the Heretic and Hexen coopbots and put them here: http://skulltag.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... &start=100 .
The Heretic coopbots should work perfectly, and you can spawn them with any weapon other than the Staff or Gauntlets. Hexen was still not working correctly, and I probably made them worse.
Doom Connector

Post by Doom Connector »

This is as realistic as this can get man. Nice work, these act just like BOTS! Now if we can control them like Yoshi Eggs from yoshi story XD.
Virgil

Post by Virgil »

For anyone who is calling these bots/AI, they are NOT! These actors lack certain fundamental properties that would classify these as bots/player simulations:

1) They cannot pick up and benefit from items

2) They do not all start with a pistol or retain weapons from previous levels

3) Their death is not like a player's; if they die, you do not wait for them to respawn and catch up, you simply summon another one again and again, destroying any monster/item balance the level you are playing might have had

4) Their presence does not enforce multiplayer game rules; you will not respawn if you die, you will start the level over

These are a few others, but those are the important ones. Those 4 things have to be fixed, otherwise they are just friendly, summonable monsters with fancy decorate code.
Tenement Funster

Post by Tenement Funster »

For anyone who is calling these bots/AI, they are NOT! These actors lack certain fundamental properties that would classify these as bots/player simulations:
I'm curious as to where you find this concrete definition of a bot, as I don't find you qualified to tell me what is or isn't a bot.
3) Their death is not like a player's; if they die, you do not wait for them to respawn and catch up, you simply summon another one again and again, destroying any monster/item balance the level you are playing might have had
And as for this, how can you possibly think that respawns keep balance in tact? As long as you can respawn, you CAN'T lose, thus there is no balance, whatsoever. Being able to summon these bots to your side instantly only removes the travel time a player would go through after death, yet there is still no or less balance.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Tenement Funster wrote:I'm curious as to where you find this concrete definition of a bot, as I don't find you qualified to tell me what is or isn't a bot.
The definition of a "bot" with regards to first person shooters since at least the days of Quake has been a computer controlled player. That means the "bot" must be a player in all respects except that they are being commanded by a computer, and not an actual person.

These actors are clearly not bots, but just actors like any other monster, or pick up, or torch.
bungholio

Post by bungholio »

Virgil wrote:These are a few others, but those are the important ones. Those 4 things have to be fixed, otherwise they are just friendly, summonable monsters with fancy decorate code.
That's exactly what they are. They don't quite fit the definition of the average bot.
With normal decorate I don't think you could make the game treat them like normal players or respawn like them. You also can't make them pick up items and use them with only decorate. I don't know a thing about ACS, so I couldn't fix it. But it beats nothing, and it's handy to spawn them when you need them. They basically are just fancy monsters.
Doom Connector

Post by Doom Connector »

In Marine Express mod, they respawn, why didn't He think of that? :shock:
Tenement Funster

Post by Tenement Funster »

Zippy wrote:
Tenement Funster wrote:I'm curious as to where you find this concrete definition of a bot, as I don't find you qualified to tell me what is or isn't a bot.
The definition of a "bot" with regards to first person shooters since at least the days of Quake has been a computer controlled player. That means the "bot" must be a player in all respects except that they are being commanded by a computer, and not an actual person.
I managed to pick up all the information you stated from the first post I responded to. Your definition of a bot holds as much authority as Virgil's, while being just as meaningless as of right now.
bungholio

Post by bungholio »

I never got to check Marine Express because the last time I checked the link gave me the file not found thing. Does marine express use ACS? I could make the bots mimic player respawning by forcing them to spawn another bot where they died with that teleport spawn.
I also forgot they probably seem less like a bot because they have infinite ammo. You could modify them if you need to though. Or at least the Heretic and Hexen ones, but I don't think Unknownna minds. I know I don't really care, modify them if you need to.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Tenement Funster wrote:I managed to pick up all the information you stated from the first post I responded to. Your definition of a bot holds as much authority as Virgil's, while being just as meaningless as of right now.
This isn't about authority, and it isn't my definition. It's about terminology. "Bot" is an actual term, and that's how it is defined.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”