[CP] The "Ten" Community Project! Completed! First post!!

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
FuzzballFox

Re: [CP] The "Ten" Community Project! SIGN UP NOW!

Post by FuzzballFox »

Ooh, looking nice! ^^ The brightness is fine- :3
Can't wait to play!
Dreadopp

Post by Dreadopp »

My map is about 90% done, I am basically just finishing up the detailing. Plus, I taken some screen shots :) , and here they are:

I had to use the 2048x2048 option because 1024x1024 was just not enough room for what I wanted to do. My map uses E1M2 music from Doom(which is one of my favorites). I have also decided to stick to "Freedom" as a title.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

The map is ready for testing!
Pueblo

The file is about 3.8 megs in size and includes both the map and the music in seperate wads. Difficulty levels are implemented, but might need refining. Let me know if anything doesn't work or needs fixing.

A quick question: how is mapinfo going to be handled? I didn't make one for the map because I wasn't sure if we needed to do that or if the project managers would handle it.

Edit: I forgot to mention the credits for the song. It's "Gothic Sandy" by Mazedude and you can find it here.
Remmirath
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Remmirath »

Nice map, Snarboo!
However, i think i've understood the rules badly...
My map has only 10 textures, but i thought that a room should have fit in 1024x1024, not all the map...
If that's the case, my map can't be accepted, because it's really big...5000 and more linedefs, because every room is not bigger than 1024x1024...sry... :( :(
But soon i'll show it to you, and you'll see if you can make an exception...
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Oh, I think I know what you mean. When Fuzzball said the maps had to be either 1024 x 1024 or 2048 x 2048, I think he meant that the entire playable map had to fit within the boundary. You could have areas outside of the map that the player can see, but not access. There was a similar project released a year or two ago called Congestion that had similar restrictions.

You might have to start over if you went over the limit. I'm sorry. :/

If you look at my map, you'll notice there are large rectangular rooms on the outside. I used those as a sort of "yard stick" to keep the map within the size limit. If you have to start over, doing something similar might help. Drawing a room exactly 1024 x 1024 or 2048 x 2048 and then carving out your map to fit inside of it might also help.
Remmirath
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Remmirath »

I have a better idea...i'll take only certain zones of my map, to fit the 2048x2048 cube, and then i'll paste them in a new map...simple... :wink:
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Well, thats my map all finished up. Brightness levels are largely uniform, with only a few different brightnesses used. Mainly dark, mainly quite spooky (due to the music). Sort of gives it an ominous air, I felt.

Still here's three screenshots (thumbnailed for imageshacks happiness):
Spoiler:
And a download link:

http://www.phobus.servegame.com/MAP05.zip

It runs on MAP05 and follows the details I mentioned earlier in the thread.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

I love the idea of an evil "factory" of sorts designed for grinding up monsters, and I really want to know how you did the moving blades in the second room! Are those moving slopes? However, there are a few issues.

The difficulty is very high for a map that is designed for a pistol start. This is mostly due to the cramped spaces and pitch black tunnels that you have to navigate. Cramped spaces aren't a problem, but I've bumped into monsters or lost my way in the dark tunnels and had to use the map to get out. I often end up cornered by an angry Revenent and quickly dying. Bumping up the light in the tunnels would help.

There isn't enough ammo or health for most of the encounters, either. I end up running from most of the Hell Knights and Revenants, usually into the pitch black tunnels.

Other than those minor quibbles, it's a fine map. :)

Edit:
I just played some more when I realized I can jump on ledges in the central cage room. I thought I had to hit a switch because I couldn't walk up them, but then I realized I was thinking in vanilla terms. It helped picking up the chaingun the gunner dropped on the ledge. It seems like there is enough ammo, but it's health that is the problem.

I also noticed you are playing at a higher brightness in ZDoom, Phobus. The tunnels are pitch black for me in GZDoom, and GZDoom doesn't emulate the "distance fog" that vanilla Doom has.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

What difficulty were you playing in?

I made Ultra Violence so that it was a challenge for me, by having ammo and health tight, but doable with some knowledge. Hurt me plenty is quite a bit easier. However, if it is very hard, I can change it.

As for the lighting... thats my old monitors fault. It was so dark I ramped up the brightness in ZDoom... and never changed it back, so the dark is less of a problem for me. I'll change that too I think.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

I played on HMP and the encounters with Revenants in narrow hallways were rough for me. I'd recommend removing a few in HMP but keeping them there in UV+.
FuzzballFox

Post by FuzzballFox »

Just played them both- very nice indeed! :D Both are worthy! XD
Joking aside, they were both good maps- I loved the blades at the begining your level Phobus, I haven't got DB on me right now, so I can't check, but I'm guessing polyobjects maybe? :3
Although yours was a tad short Snarboo, it was fun to play! I love the height variation- shame about the music though, I love that remix, been a while since I've heard it though! =D

As for the MAPINFO? That'll all be sorted when the main wad comes together- but for now no worrys! ^^
Soon I'll be working on some of the other stuff, some graphics- possibally new HUD graphics, INTERPIC, that kind of stuff!

Sad to hear about yours though Morpheus, though like you said, it wont be too hard to stitch together parts of your main map, and there is nothing stopping you from releasing the full sized one as a single level for everyone to play! :yup:

Cool stuff people, cool stuff! :D!
Beers all round! XD (_)3
Firmar

Post by Firmar »

Heya Fuzzball :P Can i reserve map06 ?
FuzzballFox

Post by FuzzballFox »

Firmar wrote:Heya Fuzzball :P Can i reserve map06 ?
Indeed- *adds* :D
Firmar

Post by Firmar »

FuzzballFox wrote:
Firmar wrote:Heya Fuzzball :P Can i reserve map06 ?
Indeed- *adds* :D
Thx ! (_)3
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Ok, just to clear it up, those blades at the beginning of the map are just sloped floors which rmove up and down. They are also 1x32 pixels, which is what might make them seem a bit confusing to people. I thought that it was quite a simple mapping trick compared to some of the more conventional ones :P

I'll be sure to set some time aside in the next few days to adjust brightness levels and make it a bit more possible.

Return to “Levels”