[CP] The "Ten" Community Project! Completed! First post!!

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Snarboo

Re: [CP] The "Ten" Community Project! SIGN UP NOW!

Post by Snarboo »

I want to join this. It'll give me something fun to do and flex my mapping skills.

I would like Map 09, since I love that level's music. :)
Dreadopp

Post by Dreadopp »

My map is coming along pretty well but, I was just wondering, since I am doing a single player map, can i use 3d floors or no? I just need to use them in a couple of small places.

Oh, and you spelled my name wrong on the first page.
Remmirath
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Remmirath »

Dreadopp wrote:I was just wondering, since I am doing a single player map, can i use 3d floors or no?
This community project is for ZDoom, not GZDoom...so you can't use 3D floors... :wink:
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

I'll make my multiplayer map work for 4 players if I can, though 2 is a definite. The size limit will make four players rather tight though.
Dutch Devil

Post by Dutch Devil »

§-Morpheus-§ wrote:@Essel: what do you think about now?
Spoiler: I love detail
Some height difference would greatly improve that area you can add as much detail as you want but it still is very flat.

Add some windows make an outside area create structures on the other side of that outside area add windows and rooms there as well add lots of height difference have monsters above and below you, those things make your map great detailing and flat room does not detail is just detail all it does is make your map look nice you can't expect to get away with an flat design by adding loads of detail to it.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

I've got a quick question. Does the sky texture count? I'm currently using exactly ten textures with the sky texture, but I want to use one more so I can make some 3D bridges with bridge things. If it does count, I'll just get rid of the sky texture.

Edit:
I forgot to mention that I am working on a singleplayer map! That's why I want slot nine, besides the music.
FuzzballFox

Post by FuzzballFox »

Dreadopp wrote:Oh, and you spelled my name wrong on the first page.
Fixed...:P My bad

And Snarboo, you are added, though it doesn't really matter about music- custom stuff is allowed- midis etc...=D
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Ah, okay then. :D Thanks!
Remmirath
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Remmirath »

Dutch Devil wrote:
§-Morpheus-§ wrote:@Essel: what do you think about now?
Spoiler: I love detail
Some height difference would greatly improve that area you can add as much detail as you want but it still is very flat.

Add some windows make an outside area create structures on the other side of that outside area add windows and rooms there as well add lots of height difference have monsters above and below you, those things make your map great detailing and flat room does not detail is just detail all it does is make your map look nice you can't expect to get away with an flat design by adding loads of detail to it.
I think you're right...i'll follow your advices...thx DutchDevil! :D
daimon

Post by daimon »

Phobus wrote:Ooops, ok then, Make me MAP05, I'll sort that out tomorrow. No problem. I'll just have to consider a little increase in difficulty and weapon availability.
ok :D
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Ok, my maps about half done, and it's called Gibletarium. Music is made by somebody who never gave a name to credit, but it's a MIDI of the sanctuary tune from Resident Evil 2. Bit creepy, but oh well. It is meant to be a deep underground chamber for the express purpose of storing and dismembering prisoners.

I've got something like 40% of the layout, gameplay and the like to do inside the 2048x2048 area, and then I want to do a background area which won't take too long, but will probably add a lot to the map.

10 textures/flats is a bit harder than I thought it'd be. Requires some very careful thought. Also seems to have made my map almost uniformly brown. Considering changing the fade to brown, just to emphasise the point. I'll see at the end.
Dutch Devil

Post by Dutch Devil »

§-Morpheus-§ wrote:I think you're right...i'll follow your advices...thx DutchDevil! :D
I hope I didn't sounded too harsh with my comment anyway you could fill that room up with an bunch of crates put some monsters on them, I see you use startan one of the best doom textures ever just an bit of an pain to align especially on angled walls and misalignments are so easy to spot with these textures.

What do I see in the left corner are those an set of stairs that go down? some of the ceiling detail is making me wonder what it is like those silver hanging things you could make hanging computer panels out of those.

You can also split that room up into two sections and lower one section by I dunno 128 (or less)units add an lift or an set of stairs to connect the two that way you create more height difference, just some ideas I got while looking at your shot of course its your map and you should do what you like :) good luck with the map.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

My map is coming along pretty nicely. It's called the Pueblo and takes place in an underground canyon dotted with strange buildings. The original inhabitants are long gone, now replaced by demons. The idea came to me when I thought about making a vertical map with lots of 3D bridges. So far it is less than half completed.

The texture set consists of brick, metal, and some choice "organic" textures such as ashwall and one of the Zimmer textures. I'm not sure it was the best choice, but I like it so far. Right now I'm using 11 textures, including the sky. I'll probably remove the sky texture to comply with the project rules unless otherwise noted.

I've really focused on lighting in the map, and I am using a bunch of ZDoom specific lighting effects. It's not perfect nor realistic, but I believe aesthetics are more important than strict realism. One of the things that I'm most impressed with is a shadow effect with a large pillar. There is a large "gate room" with a large pillar that must be lowered. The pillar casts a shadow on the wall, but when the player lowers it, the shadow lowers too. It's an effect that very few people will see, but I love it. :)

Screenshots coming soon. I'll upload the map for testing before I implement monsters and gameplay so I can see what needs fixing.
Onslaught Six

Post by Onslaught Six »

Man, hearing all these concepts makes what I've done on my map sound like shit.

"It's a techbase map! It has STARGR and COMPTALL in it!"
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Trust me, I'm just talking up my map because I'm excited. :p The idea is probably going to be more exciting than the execution. I still don't know if I'm happy with my texture choices, and how I'm going to implement the canyon battle between pueblos connected by 3D bridges is driving me bonkers.

Don't worry about your map's theme. :)

Return to “Levels”