[On hiatus] Path to Hell

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
esselfortium

Re: [WIP] Path to Hell

Post by esselfortium »

Err...I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think a lot of the resources in the alphas were scrapped because they weren't very good, not because it had too much to do with Tom Hall's storyline. Of course, there are exceptions, but including the Press Release sky, the 0.5 HUD, etc., and all the other things from the alphas that weren't ever actually mentioned in the Doom Bible seems kind of unnecessary, since this is a Doom Bible-based mod and not so much a Doom 0.5-based one.
Sodaholic

Post by Sodaholic »

Useless fact: If you look through the 0.4 wad, you'll find the press release sky. (although it is split up into different parts) Also, do you think that it might be a good idea to put stars behind the mountains?
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

Sodahollic wrote:Useless fact: If you look through the 0.4 wad, you'll find the press release sky. (although it is split up into different parts)
Are you sure? I didn't see it when I looked through the wad.
Sodaholic

Post by Sodaholic »

It's in the form of many flats. Keep searching.
InsanityBringer

Well something must be wrong. I didn't see them in the flat directory.
Sodaholic

Post by Sodaholic »

Look for F_SKY1, it's there.
InsanityBringer

Are you sure you are looking at the right file? I only see a F_Sky1 in the press release demo wad.
Onslaught Six

Post by Onslaught Six »

Well, I made a new rifle sprite.

It's a rough combination of the Doom64 shotgun, Standard Doomguy Hand, and bits of both Alpha Rifles. There's no other sprites for muzzle flash/movement/etc. because I figured you could take care of that for your own consistancy.

Truth be told, I'm really dissatisfied with that damned wood stock. I had a better-looking one done but it looked like crap when I reduced it to the Doom pallete, so. This one's Just Alright, but it should satisfy your needs--at the least, it's *different* and that was my whole point...

You might also consider using the Shotgun graphics from my Results May Vary mod. They're based off the Doom64 shotgun as well--at least, the firing states are. It provides a nice, refreshing Hey That's Different feel.
Sodaholic

Post by Sodaholic »

I'd recommend using the wooden stock from the shotgun sprite from the 0.99 shareware. (it got deleted in later versions because it wasn't visible on-screen)

Also Havoc, may you please make the rifle a little bit slower and cause about 15-20 damage?
Havoc

Post by Havoc »

@all: The discussion about using alpha stuff is really fast clarified: I'm not going to use more of the alpha stuff as you can see in this preview version. I had the alpha HUD in some of my earlier mod builds, but after playing with the HUD for a while, I found it more and more annoying. Apart from that, you've to do a lot of ACS scripting in order to get the HUD working as the static image shows. Besides you've to remove / replace the part of the HUD where the auto map is, because it isn't possible to add the auto map to the normal HUD with the capabilities of the current ZDoom version.

@Onslaught Six: I like your new rifle sprite, some more optimising and I could imagine using it instead of the alpha graphics. It would also be nice if you could make the rifle sprite with a bayonet on it.

@Sodahollic: I already did so in my actual WAD. I just was too lazy to add all my new "DECORATE-code" into this preview.
Sodaholic

Post by Sodaholic »

esselfortium wrote:Bleh. There's a good reason why the press release sky was ditched. The upper half of it, iirc, is completely black, and it gave no impression of 3D space at all.
Is this okay?

CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

That's cool, but it would probably be better to make the area above the mountains see-through so that you can use it as a texture in a sky box with a slowly scrolling ceiling of clouds or stars, this usually looks nicer than the regular Doom sky.
Sodaholic

Post by Sodaholic »

Now?

Onslaught Six

Post by Onslaught Six »

Havoc wrote:@all: The discussion about using alpha stuff is really fast clarified: I'm not going to use more of the alpha stuff as you can see in this preview version. I had the alpha HUD in some of my earlier mod builds, but after playing with the HUD for a while, I found it more and more annoying. Apart from that, you've to do a lot of ACS scripting in order to get the HUD working as the static image shows. Besides you've to remove / replace the part of the HUD where the auto map is, because it isn't possible to add the auto map to the normal HUD with the capabilities of the current ZDoom version.
You wouldn't need ACS. Not with SBARINFO, at least. Besides, Wildweasel already did all the hard work and made a good one. But it's understandable if you don't wanna use it--I don't like it either.
@Onslaught Six: I like your new rifle sprite, some more optimising and I could imagine using it instead of the alpha graphics. It would also be nice if you could make the rifle sprite with a bayonet on it.
I actually really don't like the alpha bayonet graphics, so I might end up whipping up something new and decent looking to throw on the end. The only thing is, due to how I made this sprite and stuff, I don't see the actual attack frames being easy to do...
Havoc

Post by Havoc »

Onslaught Six wrote:I actually really don't like the alpha bayonet graphics, so I might end up whipping up something new and decent looking to throw on the end. The only thing is, due to how I made this sprite and stuff, I don't see the actual attack frames being easy to do...
Hm, why don't you take the alpha bayonet graphics from my WAD as base? You could take the arm parts of the sprites, so you don't have to redo them at least, but that's up to you.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”