[On hiatus] Path to Hell

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Havoc

[On hiatus] Path to Hell

Post by Havoc »

Hi, folks!

I’m working on a project based on the "Doom Bible" called "Path to Hell". The story is a bit different from the one in the Doom Bible, though.

Story

The difference in my story is that you’re Dimitri Paramo and trying to get into contact with your friends Lorelei "Crash" Chen and John "Phobos" Pietrovich. You’re always just one step behind them. Everything else of Tom Hall’s story will be intact.

Development

Path to Hell is in development since April 2007, thus, already a year and I’ve got help from Ben2k9. Now I’m searching for people who want to help me out, by sketching out maps and provide ideas, as I’m not a very creative person (anymore).

Of course, I want to show some progress of the mod, as I haven’t just sitting around a year and have nothing to provide. So, here are some screenshots and a little bit further down you can download a preview version to show you some action.

Screenshots
Spoiler:
Features
  • New levels (not just replicas of the Doom maps)
  • Mission objectives
  • Password protected doors
  • In-game cinematics
  • New enemies, weapons, sounds, music and interactive objects
Please note: This preview version actually just includes "improved" versions of the original Doom maps and I want to replace them as soon as I found someone who can sketch out maps! This preview shall show you which quality I provide and that I'm seriously interested to bring Tom Hall's ideas to live.

Download

Here’s the download link to the WAD:

Primary mirror: http://www.havocspage.net/pth/pth.zip
MediaFire mirror: http://www.mediafire.com/?3rablluj3t663ho

Jobs

I also searching for other people who want to join the project:

Spriters, sound & music artists, mappers, ...
Last edited by Havoc on Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
CaptainToenail

Re: [WIP] Path to Hell

Post by CaptainToenail »

This was pretty cool, I liked the polished up version of the original map01.

It would probably be good to use Decorate for the new weapons rather than resprite the pistol and fist though.
Ixnatifual

Post by Ixnatifual »

Screenshots looking very nice.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Looking very nice, and very "down to earth" feel with all the vcending machines, and everyday probs. Gives it a really nice touch and believable feel. :D
Da Spadger

Post by Da Spadger »

Go go gadget WALL MADE OUT OF TEXT! 8-D
  1. Like CT said, a little more than just respriting the fist and pistol would be nice.
    The Crash skin is bad. Using "Xscale 0.8" on an actor that looks like a marine would be more believeable. (Really. Try it.)
    Things like chairs and donut boxes shouldn't be solid. It's more annoying than anything.
    I like the use of the Doom alpha textures.
    "Pick up the equipment" could mean three hundred zillion billion different things. "Get a better weapon and some armor" is more helpful.
    The conversation in the intro doens't make sense. How would Petro and Chen know the portal leads to hell? Also, why would they just leave poor Dimitri there?
    Going outside hurts you? :/
    The cave in Hangar two seems a bit out of place. At least the torches should be changed into floor lamps. It wouldn't hurt if they brightened up the cave a little too.
    I don't like the new STF graphics, myself.
    I can't climb up here, but I can on the card table and on the desk down in the lobby.
Onslaught Six

Post by Onslaught Six »

Da Spadger wrote:Things like chairs and donut boxes shouldn't be solid. It's more annoying than anything.
Donut boxes, I agree, but what if the chairs were destructible (and you could then walk through their remains)? Ever since Duke3D, I've loved destroyable environment objects--I know for a fact that those lamps have destruction frames somewhere, as I used them to make a quickie destructible lamp of my own a while back.

I'm very intrigued in this, though, as I love the early Doom Bible and anything based off it. >.>

EDIT: After the TITLEMAP sequence fades to black, I'm given no indication that I should now start the game. This would be nice.
I agree that the other guys already knowing ZOMG PORTAL TO HELL is kinda ridiculous. Unless there's a Scientist character later on who can explain that, then, well. Otherwise, I'd go ahead and quote the original Doom instruction manual: "Something fraggin' evil's coming out of the portal!"
Dear Jesus, either spread some Zombiemen through this beginning area, or give me a flipping Shotgun--even one that's really slow to reload ala my Results May Vary mod. There's just not enough ammo to run around to every room and waste every Imp, which is kind of a goal for me.
I really really hate those rifle sprites, so I think I'm gonna contribute some new, good ones. Nothing particularly fancy, but better than these.
The lack of INTERPIC transitions makes the level transitions jarring because when you flick the switch, there's a brief moment for it to switch back before you actually complete the level. I dunno, it's odd somehow.
Havoc

Post by Havoc »

Well, first of all thanks for all your comments.

Now, I think I need to explain a lot here, because most of your complaints are just present in this preview version. Anyway, here we go.
Da Spadger wrote:Go go gadget WALL MADE OUT OF TEXT! 8-D
  1. Like CT said, a little more than just respriting the fist and pistol would be nice.
    The Crash skin is bad. Using "Xscale 0.8" on an actor that looks like a marine would be more believeable. (Really. Try it.)
    Things like chairs and donut boxes shouldn't be solid. It's more annoying than anything.
    I like the use of the Doom alpha textures.
    "Pick up the equipment" could mean three hundred zillion billion different things. "Get a better weapon and some armor" is more helpful.
    The conversation in the intro doens't make sense. How would Petro and Chen know the portal leads to hell? Also, why would they just leave poor Dimitri there?
    Going outside hurts you? :/
    The cave in Hangar two seems a bit out of place. At least the torches should be changed into floor lamps. It wouldn't hurt if they brightened up the cave a little too.
    I don't like the new STF graphics, myself.
    I can't climb up here, but I can on the card table and on the desk down in the lobby.
  1. The Pistol is just replaced with the rifle sprites in this version, as I didn't wanted to include all the new items and weapons in this version, because it would have made this little preview too big.
  2. As this mod is still very far away from done the sprites of Crash and others can still be changed, so your suggestion will probably implanted ;)
  3. Yeah, I still need to improve the items. I didn't care too much about the items properties yet.
  4. The conversation of the intro does make sense, because Phobos and Crash are already in the lab section and you were knocked out for several hours. Before somebody asks: they left you behind because they couldn't care about you when thouhands of demons are in this base. Besides, remember that in the original E2M7 there's also a cave at this place.
  5. Going outside hurts you, because the planet has no atmosphere and that's why there are "spacesuits" in the room before you get outside.
  6. I agree with you, the cave is a bit out of place, but I just did what Tom Hall wrote in his bible: "Sunk
    into wall of canyon."
  7. The status bar will change in later versions.
  8. Thanks for the info; I will fix the desk in the communications room.
Onslaught Six wrote:
Da Spadger wrote:Things like chairs and donut boxes shouldn't be solid. It's more annoying than anything.
Donut boxes, I agree, but what if the chairs were destructible (and you could then walk through their remains)? Ever since Duke3D, I've loved destroyable environment objects--I know for a fact that those lamps have destruction frames somewhere, as I used them to make a quickie destructible lamp of my own a while back.

I'm very intrigued in this, though, as I love the early Doom Bible and anything based off it. >.>

EDIT: After the TITLEMAP sequence fades to black, I'm given no indication that I should now start the game. This would be nice.
I agree that the other guys already knowing ZOMG PORTAL TO HELL is kinda ridiculous. Unless there's a Scientist character later on who can explain that, then, well. Otherwise, I'd go ahead and quote the original Doom instruction manual: "Something fraggin' evil's coming out of the portal!"
Dear Jesus, either spread some Zombiemen through this beginning area, or give me a flipping Shotgun--even one that's really slow to reload ala my Results May Vary mod. There's just not enough ammo to run around to every room and waste every Imp, which is kind of a goal for me.
I really really hate those rifle sprites, so I think I'm gonna contribute some new, good ones. Nothing particularly fancy, but better than these.
The lack of INTERPIC transitions makes the level transitions jarring because when you flick the switch, there's a brief moment for it to switch back before you actually complete the level. I dunno, it's odd somehow.
  1. You're already able to destroy the lamps in this version. The chairs will probably be destroyable and pushable in later versions.
  2. As I explain above already, the intro sequence does make sense. I've forgotten to mention that this intro is NOT done yet. Stuff like scientists which open the portal and demons slaughter them will be later implanted, so don't worry. Adding a text when the intro is done looks stupid. I had a text in an earlier version and it just looked stupid. There will be a credits screen after the intro and then you should know that the intro must be over :D
  3. You can find a shotgun in a room not far away from your start, you just need to find it :D
  4. You're contribution would be great as, like I said before, I still searching for spriters.
I've forgotten to mention: if you want to see which map you're on and which mission objectives you have, you need to press the "F"-key! You can change the key under customize controls, of course.

Screenshot with mission objectives:
Spoiler:
Conclusion: I know a lot of things are missing in this preview and a lot of things seem incomplete, but keep in mind, this is just a cut down version of the actual WAD and the maps won't be kept anyway, as I want to create completely new maps, if I find some creative person. This version just exists in order to show you, that I'm interest in doing a Doom version after the ideas of the Doom Bible.
Da Spadger

Post by Da Spadger »

Havoc wrote:
  1. The conversation of the intro does make sense, because Phobos and Crash are already in the lab section and you were knocked out for several hours. Before somebody asks: they left you behind because they couldn't care about you when thouhands of demons are in this base. Besides, remember that in the original E2M7 there's also a cave at this place.
  2. Going outside hurts you, because the planet has no atmosphere and that's why there are "spacesuits" in the room before you get outside.
  3. I agree with you, the cave is a bit out of place, but I just did what Tom Hall wrote in his bible: "Sunk
    into wall of canyon."
Well, unless they had gone through the portal themselves, why would they refer to the place it leads to as hell? Something like "Another dimension" would make a bit more sense.
And surely you could make up a better reason about why they left him there? :P The conversation over the radio could go like this:
"But why didn't you bring me along? I'm lucky they didn't find me when I was out."
"We thought you were dead!"
"Did you two even check for a pulse?"
"Eh..."
"Ugh, nevermind."
And I still think going outside shouldn't hurt you, but I guess I don't have a say in it, right? :[

As for the cave, It could still be techifyed with lights, a little bit of floor4_8 on the ground, and some support beams. It wouldn't make much sense that the guards and scientists would have to walk through a really dark cave to get to a restroom/cardgame/communications room/green shiny armor on a pillar.
Havoc

Post by Havoc »

Da Spadger wrote:...

Well, unless they had gone through the portal themselves, why would they refer to the place it leads to as hell? Something like "Another dimension" would make a bit more sense.
And surely you could make up a better reason about why they left him there? :P The conversation over the radio could go like this:
"But why didn't you bring me along? I'm lucky they didn't find me when I was out."
"We thought you were dead!"
"Did you two even check for a pulse?"
"Eh..."
"Ugh, nevermind."
And I still think going outside shouldn't hurt you, but I guess I don't have a say in it, right? :[

As for the cave, It could still be techifyed with lights, a little bit of floor4_8 on the ground, and some support beams. It wouldn't make much sense that the guards and scientists would have to walk through a really dark cave to get to a restroom/cardgame/communications room/green shiny armor on a pillar.
The texts of the intro were typed in a brainstorming without thinking about them first and therefore if they would make much sense. After thinking about it a little, I agree with you, I should come up with a better text. Heh, even your reason why they left you behind is a lot better than mine, so I'll use yours :D

The "going outside hurts you" won't change, because it shall be realistic and it makes the outside world somehow unique, as you can't stay outside as long as you want.

The cave with tech lights was my first thought as well, but I couldn't come up with a good idea, how they would get electricity, because a cable out of the wall would somehow be stupid. Maybe I should place a generator somewhere in the cave, but I don't know yet.
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

The cave with tech lights was my first thought as well, but I couldn't come up with a good idea, how they would get electricity, because a cable out of the wall would somehow be stupid. Maybe I should place a generator somewhere in the cave, but I don't know yet.
The underground site areas from Doom3 should provide good inspiration for this area, lots of free-standing lamps, generators and even discarded tools would be cool here. :yup:
Sodaholic

Post by Sodaholic »

Also speaking about Doom 3, about the 'going outside hurts you' part, why not implement a Doom 3 style oxygen system? But seriously, they're wearing helmets, can't it just be assumed that they have oxygen in them?
Also, is it possible that the rifle could have the sprites from the 0.5 version?
Another useless request, is it possible that the sky from the Press Release Beta can be used?
One more thing, May you please use this just because it kicks so much ass? :D
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

Sodahollic wrote:Also speaking about Doom 3, about the 'going outside hurts you' part, why not implement a Doom 3 style oxygen system? But seriously, they're wearing helmets, can't it just be assumed that they have oxygen in them?
Also, is it possible that the rifle could have the sprites from the 0.5 version?
Another useless request, is it possible that the sky from the Press Release Beta can be used?
One more thing, May you please use this just because it kicks so much ass? :D
Bleh. There's a good reason why the press release sky was ditched. The upper half of it, iirc, is completely black, and it gave no impression of 3D space at all. It might as well have been a flat wall around the level. The Doom alphas and the Press Release beta don't really have all that much in common with the Doom Bible's original plans, really, and I'm not sure why so many people think that if you're using ideas from one, you need to use resources and elements from the other...
Sodaholic

Post by Sodaholic »

esselfortium wrote:Doom alphas and the Press Release beta don't really have all that much in common with the Doom Bible's original plans
Alphas? :?
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

Yeah, the Doom alphas are the 0.2, 0.4, 0.5, etc. versions, with the rifle and the different HUDs and stuff.
Sodaholic

Post by Sodaholic »

No, I mean, how are they different? (Not the 0.5 version)

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”