[CP] The "Ten" Community Project! Completed! First post!!

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
FuzzballFox

[CP] The "Ten" Community Project! Completed! First post!!

Post by FuzzballFox »

Welcome to the "TEN" Community Project Page!

EDIT: New rules and name- not much different from the old one, but hopefully easier to understand...

I'm hoping some of you will be interested in contributing to this unique project, where you are limited to a mix of 10 textures or flats you can use per map, so you need to think in a different point of veiw on how you use the limited texture usage whilst still trying to create an interesting and enjoyable level!

I will be leading this project, and will also make a couple of the maps - as well as creating other custom graphics such as skys, titlescreens and other misc crap. (Unless someone wants to do some extra stuff for credit too.. :D)

The rules are as followed:

-Maps must be in Zdoom (Doom in Hexen) Format and use MAPXX for mapnames
-ACS Scripting is optional, but nothing too complex such as lengthy storys or long dialog please, this is really for gameplay!
-Things like Skyboxs are also optional, but not recommended due to the limitations
-Accessable areas of the map must fit within 1024 x 1024, or if you want a bit more room 2048 x 2048 (Control sectors and Skyboxs don't count)
-As Zdoom doesn't make a distinction between the flats and textures, you can use as many of either as you want, but you can only use 10 in total- meaning you will need to be imaginative in how you use them!
-Only the stock Doom 2 textures and flats can be used to avoid confusion about what kind of custom stuff is acceptable
-All levels will be pistol starts, just keep that in mind when using monsters or weapons
-Difficulty settings are up to you, but nothing insanely hard..without warning..XD
-Can either be single player, or multiplayer...please state which one

Everything else is fine, monster usage, weapons, and anything else! Wether the level is a serious one or a joke one, just make sure you make an effort and not some crap that you made in 5 mins...XD

If you have any other details about the level you want added such as a name or wether you to use custom music please send it to me via PM or email me. ("Fuzzballfox AT hotmail DOT co DOT uk" Just take out the crap. :P)

If you wish to make more than one level then all the better, but no more than 3- this is a public project after all.. :P
Hopefully I am aiming for about 10 - 15 singleplayer levels and maybe 5 multiplayer levels..we'll see if the project progresses enough before anything too different is decided.

If you like a mapping challange, or just want to try something new then this is for you! :O

Level slots are below- just say what you one/s you want and I'll add you to the list! :D
I'll take up slots after most of the others are taken, as to give you more choice- I'm kind like that. :3

DOWNLOAD LINK!!!
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=15381

Mirrors plz!!!1

INFO BELOW OUT OF DATE!!!!

Single Player:
MAP 01 - Tech Base by Morpheus
MAP 02 - Onslaught Six
MAP 03 - Knee Deep in the Crap by Daimon
MAP 04 - Freedom (Working title) by Dreadopp
MAP 05 - Gibletarium by Phobus
MAP 06 - Firmar
MAP 07 - FREE
MAP 08 - FREE
MAP 09 - Pueblo by Snarboo
MAP 10 - FREE
MAP 11 - FREE
MAP 12 - FREE
MAP 13 - FREE
MAP 14 - FREE
MAP 15 - FREE
Multiplayer:
MAP 16 - Phobus
MAP 17 - Morpheus
MAP 18 - FREE
MAP 19 - Zdaemon Hotel by Daimon
MAP 20 - FREE
Others:
Resources compiler: Morpheus

I have taken the time to plan this so it would be great from this to get off of the ground and maybe even get the full 20 maps in! :3
Thank you for reading, and I wish you the best of luck! ;D
~Fuzzball :3
Last edited by FuzzballFox on Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:51 am, edited 23 times in total.
Onslaught Six

Re: [CP] The Ten Five Community Project!

Post by Onslaught Six »

Question: Since ZDoom currently doesn't actively make a distinction between textures and flats, am I allowed to use textures 'as' flats? Not to artificially boost my flat count or anything, but rather, for detail crap. Borders and such.

But yeah. Count me in. What's the deadline for this (if there is one)?
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

I'll give it to you that this is an interesting idea, but after the sort of unreliability I've seen in other contests and stuff (as in, they never, ever get finished by most people, and I generally find I have a new solo release at the deadline) I'll give it a miss, although I'm quite keen on this sort of thing.

Sorry.
daimon

Post by daimon »

Mmm... since i (retaliative) have nothing to do, and since i want to made some community project, count on me.

Just two questions:
1) What is the deadline for this thing?
and
2)Can i use new textures? (For flats, etc.)

bye.
FuzzballFox

Post by FuzzballFox »

Onslaught Six wrote:Question: Since ZDoom currently doesn't actively make a distinction between textures and flats, am I allowed to use textures 'as' flats? Not to artificially boost my flat count or anything, but rather, for detail crap. Borders and such.

But yeah. Count me in. What's the deadline for this (if there is one)?
Ah good question, nearlly forgot about this, yeah you can use the same textures/flats for other purposes, the limit is the ammount, not what you use them for...all the better attually, putting good use to the limits!

I'll add this to the rules so as not to confuse people..

And no real dealine for now, if after maybe 10 maps not many more are made then I wont mind releasing it then- but ya, no limit at the moment!
daimon wrote:Mmm... since i (retaliative) have nothing to do, and since i want to made some community project, count on me.

Just two questions:
1) What is the deadline for this thing?
and
2)Can i use new textures? (For flats, etc.)

bye.
1) See above-
2) *edit* Change of plan, no custom textures to avoid confusion about what is acceptable.. sorry >:
Last edited by FuzzballFox on Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

Where exactly will you draw the line between complex textures and cheating? I mean, it's possible to use parts of doom2.wad textures in different ways: the top or bottom of PLAT1 as a step texture, the tops of WOODMET* and some of the skin textures as horizontal metal supports, etc.
FuzzballFox

Post by FuzzballFox »

esselfortium wrote:Where exactly will you draw the line between complex textures and cheating? I mean, it's possible to use parts of doom2.wad textures in different ways: the top or bottom of PLAT1 as a step texture, the tops of WOODMET* and some of the skin textures as horizontal metal supports, etc.
Well, when I mean different textures, I mean...well it would be easier to show an example:
Say you combined BIGDOOR2 and BRICK2 into one texture by pasting one next to the other and making that into one texture file, that's the kind of thing I mean...

What you mean is perfectly okay, using textures for something out of the ordinary is perfectly fine, as that is part of the challange! ^^
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Personally, I think the rules would be better, and simpler if it were just something like...

"you may use up to 15 doom2 textures or flats in total (textures/flats may be used on walls or floors/ceilings) from the standard doom2 set."

I wouldn't bother making the distinction between textures and flats seeing as how Zdoom doesn't and you are happy to accept them used anywhere anyway. I would also restrict it to the Doom2 graphic set to avoid any question of special textures. eg, you have shown the kind of thing you don't want but it would be easy to make up a composite texture no bigger than 64x128 that could be tweaked and offset in both the X and Y direction to create a variety of very different effects.
FuzzballFox

Post by FuzzballFox »

Enjay wrote:Personally, I think the rules would be better, and simpler if it were just something like...

"you may use up to 15 doom2 textures or flats in total (textures/flats may be used on walls or floors/ceilings) from the standard doom2 set."

I wouldn't bother making the distinction between textures and flats seeing as how Zdoom doesn't and you are happy to accept them used anywhere anyway. I would also restrict it to the Doom2 graphic set to avoid any question of special textures. eg, you have shown the kind of thing you don't want but it would be easy to make up a composite texture no bigger than 64x128 that could be tweaked and offset in both the X and Y direction to create a variety of very different effects.
Good point, I think a few changes are needed if this is going to be easier to understand...
Okay a big change in the rules and the name will accure- but this will also by more interesting in my opinion- like you say, screw the different between flats and textures, only this time only a mix of 10 can be used. Hopefully this'll clear up any confusion...*edits rules*
Remmirath
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [CP] The "Ten" Community Project!

Post by Remmirath »

Now it sounds interesting...add me in... :D
It remembers me the 10 Sectors WADs Compilation made for Boom...

EDIT: in the rules you wrote "must fit in 1024 x 1024 / 2048 x 2048" so you mean that maximum map width and lenght must be like this? Or you were referring to the skybox size?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I suggest the same as the 1024 competition - ie the area accessed by the player must not be bigger than 1024x1024 (or 2048x2048 in this case) but control sectors and monster teleport rooms (which people could replace by scripting anyway I guess) can be outside this.

Personally, I don't really see the need for the size limit in this competition - especially seeing as how there has already been at least one 1024 competition - but it doesn't bother me one way or the other.

Oh, I think you are right to limit the number of textures to 10 rather than 15. 10 should give enough variety whilst still providing enough of a restriction. By the time you move on to 15... well Heretic managed an entire game with a very limited texture set (although a lot more that 10, obviously). So 10 seems about right.
FuzzballFox

Post by FuzzballFox »

Enjay wrote:I suggest the same as the 1024 competition - ie the area accessed by the player must not be bigger than 1024x1024 (or 2048x2048 in this case) but control sectors and monster teleport rooms (which people could replace by scripting anyway I guess) can be outside this.
*ding* Correct, control sectors or skyboxs don't count, only the player accessable areas count towards the limit.
Remmirath
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [CP] The "Ten" Community Project! SIGN UP NOW!

Post by Remmirath »

Hey, Fuzzball, i can also be the resources compiler, if you want... :)

Edit: meanwhile, i managed to put in my map that logo in the first post...wanna see how it looks like? Click here...
Logo is under HI_START and HI_END markers, so, hi-res... :D however it looks better in GZDoom...

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh11 ... CPmenu.jpg

p.s. sorry for low quality image... :(
FuzzballFox

Post by FuzzballFox »

You can be, not really sure what much there is to do- I'm going to be working on some of the other graphics for the time being, but a little extra weight off of my shoulders would be appreiated! :3
Just lemme know in a PM what kind of stuff you are after and I'll see what I can come up with.

Dont forget people, map slots are all free right now so pick what you want and I'll add ya!
*edit* Not anymore! =D
Last edited by FuzzballFox on Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Onslaught Six

Post by Onslaught Six »

I already said I was in--map spot itself doesn't matter.

Slightly disappointed there's no use of custom textures, though, because I was hoping to implement some of my favourite D1 textures--COMPBLUE FTW.

Return to “Levels”