ZDoom project ideas you have

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
GlitchMaster

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Post by GlitchMaster »

I have several ideas of my own.

For one I always thought that you could make a dungeon crawler like rouge or nethack if you could somehow make it so that slige would make maps realtime for zdoom. Of course this would need someone who has experience in C, and a heck of a lot of texture/sprite artists.

Another Idea would be an adventure game using a hub system. It would make a lot of sense, but the problem is though I know the basics of map making, I am completely horrible at it. (not to mention the fact that I can't concentrate for long on map making for some reason)

I just made this one today, however. An arcade-style version of doom, where monsters would randomly spawn in and the only way to get health and ammo is from the enemies themselves. There would be 32 levels, and a boss every ten levels as well as a point system. The amount of enemies that spawn in at once and the amount of enemies you would need to kill to get to the next level would change with the difficulty level.

So, what do you think?
janiform

Post by janiform »

GlitchMaster wrote: For one I always thought that you could make a dungeon crawler like rouge or nethack if you could somehow make it so that slige would make maps realtime for zdoom. Of course this would need someone who has experience in C, and a heck of a lot of texture/sprite artists.
I've always been interested in the possibilities of a port that had random map generation built in (there was one called RanDoom, but it's just Slige built into Dos Doom if I recall).

What I'd really like to see is a ZDoom-based port with:
  • - Random map generation built-in, preferably with detailed parameters like the ones found in Obhack
    - An option for hub-based levels, i.e. the possibility to return to previous areas (which would make it seem a little closer to Rogue)
    - Ability to check designated folders (i.e. C:/Doom/Monsters/) for monsters, weapons, items, etc. for possible inclusion in levels
    - This isn't as necessary, but it would be nice if there was an option to randomly vary enemy and item stats like roguelikes do.
JL_Harkster

Post by JL_Harkster »

There are a few wads I'd like to make, and I'm probably only going to make one of them since I don't have time for them all.

The 666 Stars of Doom II - If you beat this WAD, you will never have to play the Doom 2 IWAD ever again because you've done everything there is to do. The idea is like Super Mario 64: You are placed in a giant hub. From the hub, you can access each level of Doom 2. In each level, there are several stars you can obtain by accomplishing different achievements. You can only get one star in each visit, like SM64. If you die in a level, you're returned to the hub, so there's no need for a save feature. The stars would include things like "Beat the level without getting hit", "Beat the level under par", "Beat the level 100%", "Beat the level under Nightmare conditions", "Beat the level with only a Berserk Pack", "Beat the level with harder decorate monsters", etc. In addition to those, there would also be a few "scenarios" in each level, such as survival challenges, boss fights, and the like, for additional stars. In further addition, there'd be some "elite" stars in some levels that are very difficult to get (like "Beat the level 100% under par without getting hit"), and some hidden bonus maps with their own star. You'd only need 120 stars to unlock all the Doom II maps and beat the wad, but there's nothing stopping you from getting all 666 stars...

I'd love to make this one, but it's a huge project, and I'm waiting for certain features to be added to ZDoom (as well as DoomScript).

The Black Baron - You play as a Baron of Hell who breaks out of a tank in a deserted laboratory. Armed with nothing but an infinite supply of green fireballs, you explore the lab to learn who you are and what happened to the place. It turns out you were created as part of one of those "ultimate warrior" projects, and that you were the seventh and most promising attempt. You learn that the other six barons suddenly went mad all at once and broke out of their tanks, destroying the entire facility and killing everyone within but you. You also learn that you're stranded on a barren planet whose sunlight is harmful. Your mission is to seek out and destroy the other six barons before they asexually reproduce, find out why they went insane, and survive a plague of indigenous lifeforms attacking you from beneath the planet's surface. As you play, you will develop more powerful attacks and eventually the ability to fly.

Hyper Mode Doom - I don't think this can be done in the ZDoom yet, but I think DoomScript will make it possible. The idea is based on "Hyper Mode" from Metriod Prime 3. It would have the following mechanics:

- Every enemy drops a pickup when killed. These pickups are used to regain health.
- If you get damaged just once, you will enter "Adrenaline Mode". You will run faster, be more resistant to damage, and your shots will do more damage. However, your life will slowly run out, and if it hits 0, you're dead. So, you have to quickly kill enemies to replenish your health.
- Along the way, you will collect "Hyper tanks" that can be used to super-charge energy. Collecting health when at 100% will fill your hyper tanks (Like Mega Man).
- You can inject yourself with a Hyper Tank to enter Hyper Mode. In this mode, your speed and shot power are devastating, and you're nearly invincible. You can stay in hyper mode until your hyper tank runs out. It will run out on its own, slowly at first, then eventually speed up. Taking hits from enemies will cause the tank to drain, picking up health will replenish it. When hyper mode runs out, your health will be replenished to 100%.
- If your health runs out, you will spontaneously enter hyper mode to save your life. The difference is that, instead of prolonging hyper mode, the health pickups you obtain will be added to your health bar. You will keep using hyper tanks automatically until you can collect 100 health, and if they all run out, you'll be left with the amount of life which you obtained.
- If your health runs out and you have no hyper tanks filled, you will enter "super hyper mode", your most powerful mode. If you cannot collect 100 health before it runs out, you die.

Zone Control Doom - The action takes place on a giant grid, like a chess board. On each turn, you can move from one square to an adjacent square. For each square, you will be warped to a map where you must complete a survival challenge, protection challenge, or some other challenge. You start with a shotgun, and in order to collect better weapons, you must complete the challenges on the squares with the weapons laying on them. In addition to you, there are also enemies wandering around on the board who will make the challenge more difficult if they step onto the same square as you. The object of each grid is to defeat all the wandering enemies, as well as the boss. Finally, to make things even more interesting, squares will sometimes turn different colors, which will cause different effects to happen during the challenge, some are good, some are bad. One would double your life and armor, one would give you infinite ammo, but others would do things like give you one hit point or make all the monsters move faster.

And those are all the ideas I have at the moment.
neoworm wrote:
Wills wrote:Brian Badass - The most unfair wad you'll ever play. Based on games like Syobon Action and I Wanna Be The Guy. I've got one level made and I'll say it's stupidly hard. :twisted:
Someone on DoomWorld forums was gathering most frustrating DooM map ideas. Many of hten can be used in such wad. Personaly I liked most the invisible maze made from impassable lines not appearing on map with an arachnotron in each corner.
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/4 ... the-world/
There's really only one thing you can name a wad like this: I Wanna Be The Doom Guy.
sirjuddington

Post by sirjuddington »

DoomRater wrote:Diablo hack and slash? Doom style? WANT
That's exactly what I want to do. Unfortunately DECORATE as it is now isn't quite powerful enough for me to do what I want, so looks like a case of WFDS...
Skunk

Post by Skunk »

The chainsaw from Doom + where you have to start it but also with the added disadvantage of needing fuel! And when out of fuel if you hold down the button Doomguy just pulls the rip cord like a dumbass trying to get it to start.
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

It'd be even funnier if he started swearing if it didn't start in three pulls. XDDD
Skunk

Post by Skunk »

That'd be awesome.

"Goddamn mother fucking son of a bitchin FUCK THIS SHIT I'll use a gun."
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

I've been too lazy to pull this off but I wouldn't mind making a reloading weapons pack with GoW style reloading bonuses and penalites.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

DoomRater wrote:I've been too lazy to pull this off but I wouldn't mind making a reloading weapons pack with GoW style reloading bonuses and penalites.
I'll second this - Gears of War's Active Reload system is a stroke of genius, adding the element of skill into something that would ordinarily be a hindrance. I want to experiment with that in my next mod, whenever I decide to start it.
Onslaught Six

Post by Onslaught Six »

Here was something I came up with--I called it ZPuzzle. It's a community project based on a minimalist concept, similar to 10sector.wad. Create a small level where the player has to solve a single puzzle to progress to the next level.

For example, picture a room with four Barons Of Hell and a door to the exit. Killing the right Baron Of Hell (possibly even randomized via dynamic TID assigner or something) kills the rest and opens the door--but killing one of the other three kills the player. That's relatively simplistic, and involves both monster fighting and a bit of luck--but there could be others that don't, like perhaps some kind of polyobject block pushing puzzle or something. (Four or eight blocks spread out over the room, push them together to form the Icon of Sin's face, which solves the puzzle...although I can't figure out how the game would actually recognize that.)
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

It'd be even funnier if he started swearing if it didn't start in three pulls. XDDD
How about a wad that makes the Doomguy swear incoherantly at everything all the time, a bit like Duke-Talk but way funnier and more offensive :lol:
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

CaptainToenail wrote:
How about a wad that makes the Doomguy swear incoherantly at everything all the time, a bit like Duke-Talk but way funnier and more offensive :lol:
Don's Challenge for EDGE has this. It's very infrequent, but as a result quite effective. Blasting an Imp's head off and having it immediately followed by a shout of a string of profanities is more rewarding than it should be.
Onslaught Six

Post by Onslaught Six »

Kinsie wrote:
CaptainToenail wrote:
Don's Challenge for EDGE has this. It's very infrequent, but as a result quite effective. Blasting an Imp's head off and having it immediately followed by a shout of a string of profanities is more rewarding than it should be.
I'd imagine making it more frequent (e.g. every other enemy or something) would take away a lot of the Funny due to desensitization and stuff. Y'know.
Last edited by Onslaught Six on Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
.+:icytux:+.

Post by .+:icytux:+. »

i would always want to create a spider wad :P

with all the monsters being spiders and there would be like a CyberSpider as boss and a SpidermasterSpider xD

and create like 20 spider monsters and make a couple (or one) map/s to it and have fun :P

mostly because im affraid of spiders xD (not much tho)
iv allready created a spidermonster (wich is quite awesome btw ;))
wich u can find in the:

Beastiary Contributions topic :D
Remmirath
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Remmirath »

.+:icytux:+. wrote:i would always want to create a spider wad :P

with all the monsters being spiders and there would be like a CyberSpider as boss and a SpidermasterSpider xD

and create like 20 spider monsters and make a couple (or one) map/s to it and have fun :P

mostly because im affraid of spiders xD (not much tho)
iv allready created a spidermonster (wich is quite awesome btw ;))
wich u can find in the:

Beastiary Contributions topic :D
I'm afraid of insects, so i could make a wad full of flies, bees and wasps! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “General”