ZDoom project ideas you have

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Post by DoomRater »

Diablo hack and slash? Doom style? WANT
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

As long as it has combat that requires you to rapid-fire your mouse button, I'm all for it.
Skunk

Post by Skunk »

Has anyone ever considered an MMORPG on the engine? I just thought about it and not only would it be possible but it would incredibly awesome and would have low lag and would be free to users unlike other mmos. It'd also allow users to create their own servers and worlds so if you don't like playing on one of the public servers you could always switch over to your friends custom world with custom enemies and graphics and such.

The only problem I see with this is MMOs have a ton of customization, from the hair on the head down to the shoes you wear. I was thinking though if everyone was made up of about 8 sprites stack on top of each other one of which would be the base skin and the sprites were cropped to fit for every direction so on and so forth you could have that customization and not have the problem of either an ugly hacked up skin switching system or nasty clipping issues.

It'd require a shit ton of ACS just for the customization alone though.
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Project Shadowcat »

In addition, ZDoom doesn't allow Join In Progress which will greatly hamper the use.
Also, how do you save all of those customizing options if you even do come back?
Nash

Post by Nash »

Maintaining an MMORPG server also costs money and may be expensive... so even if the engine is technically capable of handling stuff like user accounts, in-game joining and all that, some rich guy has to be kind enough to provide and maintain a server...
Skunk

Post by Skunk »

I said it'd require a ton of ACS. Probably custom engine too.
But it's possible.
Captain Ventris

Post by Captain Ventris »

I have an entire story and such for a wad. I mean, a LONG story, that continues throughout the wad. It's gameplay would be hub-based, the hub representing a large area of land, with cities and such. I imagined using spectacularly complicated systems of waypoints and scripting for multiple castle sieges, with unique factions in the story and such.

I can't even begin on why I can't do that one. XD
Nash

Post by Nash »

Skunk wrote:I said it'd require a ton of ACS. Probably custom engine too.
But it's possible.
Nope, it's not possible with ZDoom. Currently, the only engine that could possiblyTRY to do this (even then, very crudely and definitely not secure at all) is Skulltag.

Getting the Doom engine to be able to handle an MMORPG requires huge changes...
Sodaholic

Post by Sodaholic »

Skunk wrote:The only problem I see with this is MMOs have a ton of customization, from the hair on the head down to the shoes you wear. I was thinking though if everyone was made up of about 8 sprites stack on top of each other one of which would be the base skin and the sprites were cropped to fit for every direction so on and so forth you could have that customization and not have the problem of either an ugly hacked up skin switching system or nasty clipping issues.
Maybe custom spriteset for each combination? :P

But on topic, I think that it would be cool if there was a Doom Bible interpretation for ZDoom but try to make it have the potential to run on DOS well.
Ryan Cordell
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Ryan Cordell »

Project idea, hm?..

Well, an AA-12 weapon would be a great start obviously. I'd just have to find or be able to even, *giggles* PRODUCE decent graphics to be able to make it become a reality. :P
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

Skunk wrote:The only problem I see with this is MMOs have a ton of customization, from the hair on the head down to the shoes you wear. I was thinking though if everyone was made up of about 8 sprites stack on top of each other one of which would be the base skin and the sprites were cropped to fit for every direction so on and so forth you could have that customization and not have the problem of either an ugly hacked up skin switching system or nasty clipping issues.
Hmm. This wouldn't be a problem if there was some way to arrange multiple patches for sprites, like you can with textures. Actually, no, forget that. It'd still be a problem unless there was some way to change the patch arrangement ingame, which I doubt would be doable.
Project Shadowcat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Project Shadowcat »

esselfortium wrote:
Hmm. This wouldn't be a problem if there was some way to arrange multiple patches for sprites, like you can with textures. Actually, no, forget that. It'd still be a problem unless there was some way to change the patch arrangement ingame, which I doubt would be doable.
I was more concerned about how all of that hard work would be saved -- the player-side, that is.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

Stored server side somehow. Probably with an ACS script that has players enter a name and PIN to get stats and restore stats.
Sodaholic

Post by Sodaholic »

Quick question: is it possible to use textures as sprites? (yes, I'm THAT lazy not to find out for myself)
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

Far as I know, the distinction is completely moot at this point.

Return to “General”