[Pogostick] 0.9 Online! | Where are your contributions!? :(

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
neoworm

Re: [Pogostick] Doom Platformer v0.4 online | Help & Contrib.?

Post by neoworm »

Is it possible to implement special marine frames for jumping? I dont care in classic game but here it looks a little weird. I can make these frames, but first I want to know if it is possible.
Ryan Cordell
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Ryan Cordell »

As a feature request, it's a No.

But otherwise, I think you'd have to amount to some devilish ACS scripting to do so.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Control-wise, I just left it as it started on my machine. The keyboard numbers ore fine for me after hours of play with games like "Eye of the Beholder" and "Dungeon Master" which worked well with them, and I use "Thief" on the numbers as well because I use 7 & 9 for the lean key. The others I just left at my own defaults: middle mouse jump, primary mouse fire, secondary mouse use and right-control crouch. Being left-handed, that's pretty ideal setup with my left hand on the mouse at the left of my keyboard and my right on the numbers.

I just wish there was a way to resolve the 180 degree control thing. :?
skillsaw

Post by skillsaw »

Perhaps you could make it so the player sprite is actually facing the camera, and you use strafe left and strafe right to move left and right. Then, you could set the weapons to fire at a 90 degree angle so they go forward. You'd also have to adjust the marine sprites so he was actually looking the right way... The problem with this I think is that you couldn't fire backward, but maybe you could make a button that gives you an inventory item that the decorate checks to see if you could fire forward or backward...

I am not a decorate or ACS expert so I have no idea if this would work at all and I'm not sure that it would necessarily solve anything either :?
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

skillsaw wrote:Perhaps you could make it so the player sprite is actually facing the camera, and you use strafe left and strafe right to move left and right. Then, you could set the weapons to fire at a 90 degree angle so they go forward. You'd also have to adjust the marine sprites so he was actually looking the right way... The problem with this I think is that you couldn't fire backward, but maybe you could make a button that gives you an inventory item that the decorate checks to see if you could fire forward or backward...

I am not a decorate or ACS expert so I have no idea if this would work at all and I'm not sure that it would necessarily solve anything either :?
If strafing was used for the forwards/backwards movement, then the left and right movement would have the same control issues that forwards/backwards movement is currently having...I think. :\
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Ixnatifual wrote:This makes controlling the Doomguy pretty intuitive... that is until you turn around.
Yeah, I'd wish I could do something about it :(
Ixnatifual wrote:Preferably they'd die over the course of several days, under horrible agony.
...and the only cure is trying this ;)
Skunk wrote:Would it be possible instead of a laser sight that there would be a targeting reticule?
I just think about an invisible projectile that dies after some tics and the death animation is the targeting reticule. Only problem: It disappears when I fire the weapon as it is in the READY state of the weapon. I have no idea how to make that object permanently being fired :(

As I already said I have no idea how to fix this 180° issue in a good way. The only idea that I have is some function that mirrors the walking directions through ACS but afaik there is none. Maybe Graf Zahl could come up with something?! :) Nonetheless, Neoworm, don't waste time, it isn't possible right now BUT if you have some spriting time left, you could come up with something doomish that the player must collect ;) Just like the coins in Mario World ;)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

For collectable items, there are the ones that id intended using from the pre-release Doom versions.

As for the "laser sight" I like it.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Enjay wrote:For collectable items, there are the ones that id intended using from the pre-release Doom versions.
Well, with collectable items I mean such like coins, something that I can place a hundred times in a map ;)

Conc. the "laser pointer", I just came up with something even better ;)

It's a very precise crosshair that even leaves a small little trail behind when you move it ;) Much better than the laser pointer, now I only wished that this thing would also appear when firing :(
Skunk

Post by Skunk »

Oooh oooh ooh! I got it! I know what you should use! Skulls! Collect skulls! Yellow skulls are worth one skull, red skulls worth five, and blue skulls worth ten! Yes I know I totally ripped this off from SM64 but it'd be AWESOME!
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Well, I can't use the original skull keys from Doom, can I? Is this a problem?
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

BTW, yet another useful/less feature added ;)

7 Levels of Zooming from 0 to 6, just in case the player is too large or too small ;)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Tormentor667 wrote:
Enjay wrote:For collectable items, there are the ones that id intended using from the pre-release Doom versions.
Well, with collectable items I mean such like coins, something that I can place a hundred times in a map ;)
Exactly what I meant. In the pre-release versions of Doom there were items - like an unholy dagger, a poisoned chalice, a chest, an unholy book etc etc that were meant to be collected in their hundreds for points just like in Wolfenstein treasure - but more hellish.
Tormentor667 wrote:Conc. the "laser pointer", I just came up with something even better ;)
Well, I haven't seen it in action yet but, I like the laser because it shows the full length of your aiming path - not just the end point.
Skunk

Post by Skunk »

I found an interesting little glitch. Not really a real glitch since I was using cheatcodes but still one none the less. I rocketjumped out of the death pits you have to jump over.

EDIT: Yes you can, there is no way you're going to be able to use keys in this game until you have made it so you can turn around properly.
Speaking of which how come you can't set up a script that when you press left or right the game checks whether or not pressing that button would make you go forward or backward and then when it would go backward turns the player 180 degrees, reverses the controls, and moves them forward?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Here are some (all?) of the beta graphics I mentioned: book, dagger, chest and sceptre. No chalice - maybe I imagined that?
Skunk

Post by Skunk »

Just the wolf Chalice and make it dark brown and fill it with blood.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”