[Pogostick] 0.9 Online! | Where are your contributions!? :(

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Tormentor667

[Pogostick] 0.9 Online! | Where are your contributions!? :(

Post by Tormentor667 »

[Pogostick]

Description
Pogostick is a 2D/3D platform game for Doom/GZDoom, heavily inspired by id softwares blockbuster "Commander Keen". It features a side-scrolling engine (3rd person camera), mouse aiming crosshair, all the original Doom weapons & monsters, new platform-style maps, a new hud, score system, bonus gem system with bonus maps for extra score, different player classes and many more things. Get ready for something totally ... different :)

Screenshots

Custom Maps & Contributions
The ZIP file includes a full editing tutorial that demonstrates how simple it is to create a complete new and custom map for Pogostick. Feel free to share your own maps and create maps for the official project as well (Skunk has already contributed one for the User Episode, time to compete :)) or do your own nice Player Classes for this project based on other heros from 2D games (e.g. Super Mario, Megaman, Hocus Pocus, etc.), for a reference on how to do this, check the C_KEEN.WAD player class in the PK3 :) Every little contribution is welcome :)

Download
http://home.arcor.de/tormentor667/pogostick.zip
(v0.9 although title graphic says 0.6, but it's newer)
Last edited by Tormentor667 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:20 am, edited 13 times in total.
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Re: [Pogostick] Doom Platformer

Post by Cutmanmike »

The reason I didn't continue mine was because of the whole using a button to turn 180 thing.

And like I said before I can't try this yet cause i'm at work :(
skillsaw

Post by skillsaw »

Wow, this is different. It takes a lot of getting used to. I ended up accidentally firing all of my bullets at the ground before I even noticed I wasn't aiming forward :shock: Having to aim on the z axis as well as move around on the X and Y axis make this a lot more difficult to play than an old NES platformer.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing where this goes.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Well, it's at least easier to play if you have AUTOAIM activated
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

This is awesome. Pure Awesome. Also, I played with Space as use, Z for jump, and Ctrl for Fire, so it was easy.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Well, maybe I should really thinking about continueing this ;)
KeksDose

Post by KeksDose »

Do it.

;)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

That's actually really, really well done. I didn't find the controls too awkward either. :)
Unknown_Assassin

Post by Unknown_Assassin »

Bug: After I took the shotgun, I switched to a pistol/fist (don't know which), and I couldn't switch back to the shotgun.
Skunk

Post by Skunk »

OMG

ACTION
DOOM
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

It took me a while to figure out where I could get the latest ZDoom SVN build to play this, but it's really cool! :D
Captain Ventris

Post by Captain Ventris »

This is awesome. Wow. I'm seriously impressed.

And in concordance with Skunk, a conversion of Action Doom to this would be great.
Skunk

Post by Skunk »

Just loaded Pogostick over Action Doom. It was glitchy but after I put in IDKFA and switched over to the chaingun the fun began. And boy was it fun! It was like playing Contra. The Hell Knight at the end gets replaced with an Alien Turret and it made me think about the Contra boss battles... if you can change the key bindings to whatever you want, you should switch them for boss battles and have the Marine turn 90 degrees!

And this entire experience makes me think about that Smash TV mod I wanted to make... hehe.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Unknown_Assassin wrote:Bug: After I took the shotgun, I switched to a pistol/fist (don't know which), and I couldn't switch back to the shotgun.
I need to fix the KEYCONF and add other weapons as well I think, let's see :)
Tormentor667

Re: [Pogostick] Doom Platformer v0.2 online | Need Help!

Post by Tormentor667 »

Okay, v0.2 is online, what's new?

Added
Score System
Laser Pointers for all Weapons
New HUD
Titlepic and M_Doom (temp)

What I need help with
1. How can I display a ammo counter on my custom hud that automatically switches to the kind of ammo the player's weapon actually uses?
2. How can I make the laser pointer stay permanent? So that it doesn't disappear when I shoot a weapon?

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”