[RELEASED] Tomb of Omhotep for GZDoom

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Tormentor667

Re: [RELEASED] Tomb of Omhotep for GZDoom

Post by Tormentor667 »

Snarboo wrote:
Tormentor667 wrote:No Screens = No Download!
Don't post if you have nothing to add to the discussion.
Blabla :P I am not going to download such a big file if I don't get something to see before, that's why I said "No screenshots = No Download".

Thx for the shots btw
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Tormentor667 wrote:
Snarboo wrote:
Tormentor667 wrote:No Screens = No Download!
Don't post if you have nothing to add to the discussion.
Blabla :P I am not going to download such a big file if I don't get something to see before, that's why I said "No screenshots = No Download".

Thx for the shots btw
It's ten megabytes. Are you on dial-up or something? It probably takes about that much downloading to visit one page of your website =P
Nash

Post by Nash »

Yeah Torm no offense but I really, REALLY hate your website design! You need to make something more simple, less flashy stuff that loads faster!
Rhino_66

Post by Rhino_66 »

Enjay wrote:I've looked at the glowing ball things and I suggest that you change their DECORATE code to something like this:
Spoiler:
Then make sure you remove the translucent flag from them in the editor as this overrides the DECORATE translucency and additive effect. You may want to tweak the alpha value to your tastes.

Oh, and purely from a tidy housekeeping point of view. You have two lumps in your WAD called decorate. It is better practice to give them different names and them use the #include function to load them all. eg, if you called one of them DECSFX then put the line #include DECSFX in the lump called DECORATE (usually right at the start) then both the decorate lump and the DECSFX lumps will be loaded.

Thank you! That REALLY cleaned up the light spheres quite nicely with the new code. Still a cheesy effect on my part, but at least the dark ring is gone and they look better.

The second DECORATE lump was left in purely by mistake. I was playing around with Tormentor's code to see if his steam effect from TUTNT would work for my waterfall mist. As is, it's excellent for point source vapor, but doesn't really work for a large surface area like I wanted. I tried altering his code, but could not get the appropriate effect. If it had worked out, I was going to ask formally for his permission to use the code. Since it didn't work out, I deleted the code from the main DECORATE lump. I had apparently imported another copy of Torm's code with an earlier edit. Sorry for that, Tormentor.

I replaced the download link with a new version that includes the updated sphere effect and removes the extraneous DECORATE lump.

Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Nash wrote:Yeah Torm no offense but I really, REALLY hate your website design! You need to make something more simple, less flashy stuff that loads faster!
Yeah, I have thought about a more simple design as well... but, we will see ;) Conc. the 10MB download: The connection to the download source was very slow for me, that's why I wanted to have screens to see if the waiting time makes sense.
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

Tormentor667 wrote:Yeah, I have thought about a more simple design as well
I think that website is badass, and usually I hate all that high-bandwidth flash shit. In the case of realm667 I think it's really tastefully done, though, and I would be sad if it changed. Well, some of those fading image flash things could be replaced with a js image rotator, but that's about all I would change.

/offtopic
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Project Shadowcat »

Tormentor667 wrote:
Nash wrote:Yeah Torm no offense but I really, REALLY hate your website design! You need to make something more simple, less flashy stuff that loads faster!
Yeah, I have thought about a more simple design as well... but, we will see ;) Conc. the 10MB download: The connection to the download source was very slow for me, that's why I wanted to have screens to see if the waiting time makes sense.
The shrewdness surely wasn't necessary then if you actually had reasoning behind it. :?
phi108

Post by phi108 »

So with projects like this and torm your TCOTD: A, dynamic lights are big parts of the project, but GZdoom's dynamic lights kill my performance. Doomsday's are very fast by comparison (but I hate DDay).
And I tried other settings on the dynamic lights menu, but they don't help. I hate to keep asking for things, but I'd like to know if it's possible to optimize the dynamic lighting code any more.
I guess the solution is a new system. I have noticed the flashlights in Halo and Half Life kill my performance as well, and I'd hate to play doom at the 640x480 I use for them.

OK, my self pity rant is over, To rhino: AWESOME MORE NEW STUFF TO PLAY!!!!
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

The guy with sattelite internet, actually, doesn't have a problem with it :P.

Nice screenshots, by the way!
Rhino_66

Post by Rhino_66 »

BTT.

Anyone else played it and care to comment?

Enjay

Post by Enjay »

No, but I have played it again. :P

My initial comments still stand. It's very nearly a really good mod. I like the mood and I want it to be better than it currently is because there a re a few flaws that get in the way. I think the following things would help:

1) Do something about the black maze - anything! If you still want something that fits in with how you described its purpose, why not use a thick fog? Set the required sectors to have a fog of any colour you like and then keep it quite dark to thicken the fog effect. But at least give us a chance to see the bad guys. And don't be tempted to use stealth monsters as an alternative. They are almost universally hated. And that's essentially how it feels ATM - a non stop stealth monster attack where you are blind for most of the time too.
2) Custom textures - natural looking rocks outside, ancient walls, plaster, hieroglyphs, engravings, etc etc inside.
3) Make the natural areas look more natural (e.g. use triangles to make smooth sloping terrains - see KDiZD for good examples)
4) A more consistent approach to models - replace the statues outside with something more in keeping with the ones you have used inside. Perhaps use models for obelisks, if not, use slopes. That's very easy to do, especially compared to the little steps you used instead.
5) get some fitting music.
6)find a better graphic for the glowing ball and, for the one in map03 put something in the map that makes it look like it is meant to be there. Sitting against a Ceil5_1 ceiling it just looks odd.

Seriously, I think it has the potential to be quite a nice mod. I actually like what you've done with a lot of the mood but it falls short in a number of areas and that's a shame.

BTW, I just replayed "Hell on Egypt" for Risen3D by Wim Sitters. I'm not suggesting you try and copy that. He has gone for quite a different feel and, despite the maze, I generally prefer your gameplay to his. However, his map is stunning to look at and it might be worth playing just to get some ideas (if you can find the bloody switches he hides all over the place :evil: ).

Return to “Levels”