[Project] "Knee-Deep in ZDoom"

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [Project] "Knee-Deep in ZDoom"

Post by Project Shadowcat »

Good gods, this thread is still alive?
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

There's no "Closed Projects" forum.

Dennis revived this to announce the Cacoward.
Project Shadowcat

Vaecrius wrote:There's no "Closed Projects" forum.

Dennis revived this to announce the Cacoward.
Maybe so, even though I believe it deserved both Cacowards, I'm still surprised the tread is still alive anyway! :P
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Congratulations to the team for two cacowards :P

We all knew it was going to get a proper one though.

Whilst I'm mentioning the cacowards:

Well done to T667 for his award (and nomination), and contributions to two award winners. Definitely adds a row to the trophy cabinet :lol: I find it quite funny that I had some minor involvement in all of the wads you were involved in that got an award though :P (Testing KDiZD and UTNT, and making one of the CC3 maps). Course, you have to wonder now - what's happening for the future? Guess we'll all have to wait and see.

(as an aside, I'll mention I have quite a swollen head after reading some people saying nice things about my CC3 map :P )
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Well done to the KDiZD team for the awards and, of course, Tormentor for his further recognition.
Project Shadowcat

Phobus wrote:(as an aside, I'll mention I have quite a swollen head after reading some people saying nice things about my CC3 map :P )
That swelling in the back of your mind? That's your ego. ;)
hnsolo77

Post by hnsolo77 »

Project Dark Fox wrote:
Phobus wrote:(as an aside, I'll mention I have quite a swollen head after reading some people saying nice things about my CC3 map :P )
That swelling in the back of your mind? That's your ego. ;)
or a tumor... but good job on the cacowards guys, i still say KDiZD is the best wad out this year, but then again i never got into the hype in the first place...
Remmirath

Post by Remmirath »

Guys, I've really enjoyed KDiZD, so...

I think that continuing with The Shores of ZDoom and ZDoom Inferno would be a really GREAT idea!

What do you think about?
Project Shadowcat

Suuuuuure, if it takes another three years or so to finish the next episode... ;)
Remmirath

Post by Remmirath »

Project Dark Fox wrote:Suuuuuure, if it takes another three years or so to finish the next episode... ;)
Yeah, you're right :lol:
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Yeah, I know, bump.

I just wanted to post because I played right through KDiZD for the first time in a while yesterday with the latest GZdoom (1.0.30) and, despite some problems with GZdoom itself, I was reminded just how fekkin' awesome KDiZD is. Now that all the furore has died down and it's just another mod, I'd almost forgotten just how good it is. Everything about it is quality. Everywhere you look there is something to catch your eye and for you to marvel at. Sometimes it is lots of detail - and that's fine by me. At other times it's realistic, or just well considered. There was an area where I went through a hole in a wall and I just stopped and looked at it for a while. The area couldn't have been much bigger than 192x192 units but it was made just perfectly. The broken wall was the right width, not just some generic 32 units wide. The slopes and textures in the cavity beyond the hole created a believable representation of a rocky blast hole and the way it dropped down into the next area using slopes was just right.

The maps are great fun. I think my favourite may be Z1M3 (but it is a close call with a number of other maps fighting for the honour). I just love those mines. I don't really know why because I still get lost every time I play it (which I have done many times) and that would normally frustrate the hell out of me but somehow it's OK in KDiZD. The mines just look great and are so atmospheric. I love the way that, in all the maps, triangles have been used to make natural looking terrain slopes with no obvious seams or lips. I'd never even considered that before. And the base section of Z1M8, where the influence of hell really breaks through with the changing walls, sky and architecture, accompanied by all those creepy sounds is nothing short of genius.

Anyway, enough of this sycophant-ism, but I just felt the need to post. :P
hnsolo77

Post by hnsolo77 »

i agree with you on those points, especially Z1M8's perfect execution

though i must admit im not exactly a fan of Z1M4 but then again i hated E1M4 in the first place...
SoulCrow

Post by SoulCrow »

Yes I know what you mean. You play through it once and complete it, and then you leave that particular mod for a good few weeks or months. But then you play through it again later, and realize just how fun it was the first time... and that it will keep you entertained for ages afterwards as well.

Must be kinda annoying, working on something for 3 years or so, and then, only a few weeks after it's release, nobody talks about it anymore. It's when you go back and play those mods again that you realize how much effort was put into them.

...and whenever I go back and play through your (Enjay) Trial of the Arch-Heretic, I feel excited enough to play through Thief again once more. A combination of the sound effects and textures used works every single time.
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

Enjay wrote: There was an area where I went through a hole in a wall and I just stopped and looked at it for a while. The area couldn't have been much bigger than 192x192 units but it was made just perfectly. The broken wall was the right width, not just some generic 32 units wide. The slopes and textures in the cavity beyond the hole created a believable representation of a rocky blast hole and the way it dropped down into the next area using slopes was just right.

This isn't just any hole in a wall: It's an expertly crafted, finely exploded hole in the wall created with the most exotic foreign explosives and tangy nodes.

This isn't just any terrain. This is KDiZD terrain.

I couldn't resist :P
Zatos

Post by Zatos »

I don't know if this is a bug or what... but when I get to the exit on Z1M7 and kill the grey HellKnight (not sure what their names are)... well... nothing happens. The green door with the exit sign above it doesn't open. Shows on the map as a red door, and obviously I have all keys which you need to get to this point. Am I missing something or is this a bug?

Return to “Levels”