[Release] Coils of the Twisted Tale

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Phobus

[Release] Coils of the Twisted Tale

Post by Phobus »

EDIT: Links Updated.

Coils of the Twisted Tale - 1 whole 10 part episode in a single map, plus a prelude of sorts. The slowest quick wad I can ever expect to make and now its finally done. The story text file is included as bonus material in the zip file. I'll give it a day or two before uploading to /idgames, in case there are any issues with the wad that I didn't find in my tests. Enjoy :)
Spoiler: Screenshots
The thread features a lot of text and stuff, but none of that turns up in game. The map itself is sort of like a ZDoom episode featuring classic gameplay.

Download: http://www.phobus.servegame.com/doom/ph_quik2.zip
Web Page: http://www.phobus.servegame.com/doom/ph_quik.html

Gameplay notes: The difficulty follows a curve, but it starts shallow and gets steeper as you go along, however finding secrets will even it out to more of a slope than an upwards curve, as the extra ammo, health, armour, powerups and alternative approaches to battles generally make the challenges less difficult. This wad starts off rather easy and overall its probably not as hard as some of my other releases.

There are also difficulty modes included, which (like most of my wads) reduce the numbers of monsters as you get lower. Generally in easy you'll be fighting small groups of weak monsters, wheras medium will pit you against larger groups of weak monsters, and then hard will chuck in a couple of more powerful ones on top. Ammo, health and the contents of secrets are largely unchanged though.

At the start of every chapter, you get a title and it will change the music and autosave. Usually the way back will be shut off too so that you can't back track to previous chapters and get health that you didn't need earlier. Weapons, monsters and difficulty all have progression, with the player having pretty much everything in the last two chapters. Naturally, due to the no backtracking nature of the wad, its single player only. Should take a good, fast player who knows the map kind of well about 40 minutes.

--------------Old Stuff below-----------

Read this so you can know it all!
Spoiler: Background
Ok, that's actually fairly irrelevant, but it serves as a story for Scourge, Warpzone and Scars of the Wounded Prey, and I fancied getting it out there, and as this wad exists in the same 'universe' as those, I may as well post it here. It also links these wads back to Doom, Doom2 and Final Doom, for an over-arcing story effect :P (White Light is meant to be on some mountain sanctuary in Tibet or whatever, and Twisted Joke has no point aside from being christmas-y, so they don't get big story sections :P )

Coils of the Twisted Tale is my second Quicky map, which is about half done so far, and I'll be working on it a bit in the days to come, as I haven't got much more to do. As I go, I'll occaissionally put up odd story snippets (it's a tale :P ) and a screenshot from the part of the map it's about. Whilst none of these wads are sequels of eachother, they do co-exist on the planet Abbotoire and are linked by the background I've put up there. I'm going to try and get a post up for each section of the map before I release it. And of course, once this is done, I'll get back to Virus.

EDIT: Ok, I've removed some of the screenshots from my website, so you can expect most of the ones here to be missing. This was done because its only one map, so it doesn't need 10 screens. Two or three are sufficient - and I'm sticking to two on my site for the time being.
Last edited by Phobus on Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hnsolo77

Re: [WIP] Coils of the Twisted Tale

Post by hnsolo77 »

i like the story and idea, but you really should edit out and change one of those words, reason? it can be interpreted badly by others

example? look at the link below

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controvers ... ggardly%22
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

DO NOT CHANGE THE WORD NIGGARDLY

It is a good word. It is the perfect word to use in certain situations. It is not a racial slur. It predates the word nigger by hundreds of years and didn't have any racial association for most of that time. It didn't until excessively sensitive and lexicon-ignorant dimwits started objecting to it because it "sounds a bit like nigger".

As well as being the right word, it also has the additional benefit of upsetting the ridiculous "PC" dullards who have a limited vocabulary and who get righteously indignant over anything they perceive as racist. It gives you the opportunity to berate them for their inappropriate objection and to educate them. Those people are a problem in many, many ways. Do not "dumb-down" your vocabulary. Do not limit your use of the English language to try and appease these cretins. Remove the word and they win.

Just in case you are taking it that way hnsolo77, I'm not calling you a dullard, or anything like it. I'm insulting the people who object to the word because of their own ignorance.

Anyway, I'd better read the rest of the thread now. What's it all about anyway? ;)
hnsolo77

Post by hnsolo77 »

enjay: i agree that its a good vocabulary word, and i dont take it the wrong way at all, if there is a wrong way for a person of Viking descent to take it in the first place, i was just making the suggestion to help Phobus from accidentally pissing some moron off and stop flames from erupting before they happen

ive seen flamewars like that and i can tell you they are not fun :(

EDIT - in just used to having to censor myself normally anyway, i did live in an area that can be called 'the hood'

i was mostly left alone though due to my actions, because someone tried breaking into my car and the alarm went off i ran out of my apartment with a very large knife/shortsword and jumped the second story balcony to the ground and started chasing the bastard, when i did that i heard this "HOLY SHIT! did you see what that honkey just did?!? remind me not to piss off that crazy white muthafuka" and after that no one ever complained about my loud Metal Genra music :D
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

hnsolo77 wrote:ive seen flamewars like that and i can tell you they are not fun :(
Oh I dunno. ;) Actually, the last entry in such a flame war should be - you don't know the word and you are wrong (with evidence). Anything after that is simply a continuing public display of ignorance on behalf of the objector.

If a person gets pissed off by the word, it's an opportunity for them to find out what it really means and thereby expand their vocabulary. If Phobus changes the word, then the person continues to be ignorant of the word and is still going to go off on one when they do eventually hear it. Everyone loses.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

I've always been a fan of delving into the deep end of the English language. Means people who talk to me on msn need to use their dictionaries and learn a few words every now and then :mrgreen:

-----------
Spoiler: Prologue: A New Level
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

This reminds me of that whole ghoul3 gross images argument.

Anyway Phobus, how about some screenshots?
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

There is one in the spoiler titled Prologue: A New Level, and there will be one in each of the spoilers that come up next as well. It's so the screen isn't always stretched and the text isn't an oppressive wall.
Phucket

Post by Phucket »

It looks a little bright, and what is that thing in the background with the big red dot on it?
eliw00d

Post by eliw00d »

Phucket wrote:It looks a little bright, and what is that thing in the background with the big red dot on it?
looks like an atmosphere processor from aliens, maybe even the aliens tc?
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Its only bright because its outside, and yes, the big thing is an atmosphere processor, as taken from Aliens Doom (not the TC though). Makes a nice sky, and fits my story quite well.
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

Sounds pretty awesome and the first screenshot...Well...I like the sky! =D
SoulCrow

Post by SoulCrow »

Phobus wrote:Its only bright because its outside, and yes, the big thing is an atmosphere processor, as taken from Aliens Doom (not the TC though). Makes a nice sky, and fits my story quite well.
I thought I had seen that before. Yep looks good :)
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Spoiler: Chapter 1: Technophobe
There we are, another screen shot. I used kill monsters to move about eaisly, so all enemies are dead.
Siggi
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Siggi »

I can't read. :cry:
ooh, pictures!

Return to “Levels”