[Project] Thief?

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Kiviukko1

[Project] Thief?

Post by Kiviukko1 »

Hey, i was playing that wad called Ghoul3 and i got an idea. Make like some sort of Thief Sneak kinda wad. Theres like these Daggers,Crossbows Etc.There's these dark maps and you have to sneak and pass guards by killing them or sneaking, Hidious monsters and stuff. that would be cool. Or if they have maked one i could give it a try. im not any editor but i just gived you some idea if you want to do some editing :). Im not sure if i maked *ANY* sense at all but that's my idea so comment if you have any ideas.
bagheadspidey

Re: [Project] Thief?

Post by bagheadspidey »

sounds kinda like some parts of strife.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Thief mods in Doom/Zdoom would just be silly. The idea stinks. ;)
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

I dunno, somebody pulled it off quite well ;)
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

There is some in-joke that I have missed.
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Jimmy »

bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

lol - figured as much. Looks fun actually, I'll check it out =)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

When I was making that level, and the original Doom version that it was based off of, I had an idea that getting some Thief-like AI into the level would have been good. I had some vestigial ideas, however, I simply couldn't figure out how to do it effectively. I also thought that it simply wouldn't be believable that Doom enemies were searching for you and then were giving up to go and do something else instead rather than just milling around aimlessly. I simply don't think you'd be able to get close to that feeling of tension you get in Thief when a searching enemy leans close towards you with his hand shading his eyes as he peers into the darkness hoping to spot you whilst you sit there, almost scared to breathe, terrified to touch the game controls in case you alert the guard and you sit willing the light gem in the hud to be darker than it is and for the guard to just go away. However, with custom states, advanced thing_hate and patrol routes and maybe a custom reject lump... I know that Solarsnowfall has had some ideas on how some of it may be possible - so who knows?

As a piece of side info, I've been messing with some Thief-based models in GZdoom. I couldn't figure out how to get most of the models from Thief into a GZdoom supported format (I tried a few utils, but the models I wanted didn't transfer), so these are primarily things I adapted from other models (Thievery, RtCW, Heretic Hi-Res, Wim Sitters...). These screens are mainly from an older version of my Thiefy level and the town level from Strife re-textured and brought into Doom. I lightened them a bit to make them more visible in a browser.

http://www.rowand.myzen.co.uk/thiefylooking/
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

Damn, I thought you meant Thief gamemode from Timesplitters :|
Nash

Post by Nash »

Enjay's screenshots are a reminder that good use of GZDoom's features can result in something that doesn't look like Doom.
SoulCrow

Post by SoulCrow »

I've been lingering here for a while (and anyone that visits the Doomworld forums may of seen me) but I never really felt the need to register, I had nothing to say here really.

But Enjay, those screenshots are the cause for my registration... they are STUNNING. I mean, you even included a Burrick statue! Those models look great!(which should seem pretty obvious given where there from - but they still look great even while in Doom!). Is this just messing, or is another update of that level in the works perhaps :P

Your original level was good fun. Your Heretic level was pretty amazing. While my brother was watching me play it, after hearing the sound effects and such, he just felt so eager to play Thief again... and so he went away and completed Thief 2 again ;). BUT if this was implemented, new heights of awesomeness would be attained. Even more ammunition to use when people ask me "so why do you STILL play Doom?" :D
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

At the moment it is just messing around with stuff to try and get a better handle on how models work. I'm not sure what, if anything, will come of it.

For info, most of the lamps are my edits of stuff that I managed to rip out of the Thievery mod for UT. I messed around with them quite a bit to suit my own needs. I'm quite pleased with the overhanging street lamp model which is a combination of bits from a few different models. The armour suits are direct rips from RtCW. The burrick is one that was converted to a format that I was able to load into Milkshape by someone from the TTLG forums. I could only get one frame into Milkshape though and, not feeling motivated enough to re-do all the animation for a burrick, I just made the skin look like it was made of stone and converted it into a statue. The other little statue of a man is a Jedi from Jedi Outcast but I thought it fitted the mood quite well.

I think everything else is stuff from the Heretic Hi-Res pack for JDoom chopped and swapped with bits and pieces from models by Sitters. Eventually I'll get around to having enough time to work through some tutorials that Nash linked me up with and, hopefully, after that I'll be able to make my own models from scratch rather than being the modeling equivalent of Victor Frankenstein. ;)

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”