From the Ashes of Fear - Download NOW!!!

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ReX

From the Ashes of Fear - Download NOW!!!

Post by ReX »

This 3-map wad is almost done. Visit DooM Nexus for information & 6 new pictures.
Last edited by ReX on Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unknown_Assassin

Post by Unknown_Assassin »

Nice screenshots. :)
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

I must be the only one that can;t seem to find the screenshots. x_x
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

What's new

Scroll down to the last paragraph

Click the screenshots link

or just click the word "here" in the October 12 update on the front page. ;)
ReX

Post by ReX »

Thanks to Enjay's timely play-testing and comments, I have completed From the Ashes of Fear. As the idgames archives will not be updated for another week or so, I have uploaded the wad to my site. Download, text file/project information, and pictures may be found at DooM Nexus.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

:lol: OK, OK, I watched your demo. So the archvile fight is possible without my little piece of luck helping me out, and before the invulnerability runs out too. :lol:
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

That was pretty fun. MAP15 was really cool. MAP31 was interesting. I liked how you used the Wolf3D textures. It actually matched with the other textures in that level. I got stuck on MAP32. I got the yellow key I think. After I killed the cacodemons and lost souls that were spawning from the center area, I couldn't figure out what to do afterwards.
ReX

Post by ReX »

lizardcommando wrote:I got stuck on MAP32. I got the yellow key I think. After I killed the cacodemons and lost souls that were spawning from the center area, I couldn't figure out what to do afterwards.
After you release the cacodemons by pressing the switch in the circular area with the alcoves, you lower a pillar in the same area. You can now reach a switch that lowers a lift nearby. Run to the lift to be teleported to your next destination.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

lizardcommando wrote:I got stuck on MAP32. I got the yellow key I think. After I killed the cacodemons and lost souls that were spawning from the center area, I couldn't figure out what to do afterwards.
Go through the yellow key door. Immediately on your left is a big skull switch like the one on MAP30 of Doom2. If the bar protecting it hasn't been raised, progress further into the yellow skull area and find the switch to raise it.

[edit]You must have got the bar-raising switch to release the cacos. The skull switch does what ReX said. ;) [/edit]
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

Enjay wrote:
Go through the yellow key door. Immediately on your left is a big skull switch like the one on MAP30 of Doom2. If the bar protecting it hasn't been raised, progress further into the yellow skull area and find the switch to raise it.

[edit]You must have got the bar-raising switch to release the cacos. The skull switch does what ReX said. ;) [/edit]
Oh. So that's what that switch does! I thought it was supposed to open one of the doors or lower that platform with the red key on it. Haha! Oh man, I missed that.

I finally beat that level right now. Those archviles kept throwing me around like a beach ball! I tried hitting them with some rockets but being blinded by their fires and being bounced around like crazy while using the invulnerability made hitting them almost impossible! :lol:
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

Nice set of maps! I really like the gameplay on map 31 - it's not immediately obvious what to do at the beginning of the level, and it took me a few tries to figure it out. Very challenging on UV.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

I played all three maps (though couldn't get to any of them from the previous one :( )

Very enjoyable, very well made, architectural splendour by the bucketload... very good set of maps indeed. :D

MAP15 felt a little starved of ammo, but that's no crying shame. I like the way the maps progressed through the weapons, and how the monsters were used as well. Using all of the monsters bar the SS in a single map isn't unprecedented, but it hasn't been pulled off this well before (I should know, I've made one of the maps that beat this one to the punch :P )

Give that mapper a medal.
ReX

Post by ReX »

Spidey & Phobus, thanks for the compliments.

Phobus, the SS enemy is indeed in Map15. If you manage to find a way to the secret exit you'll see what I mean.

Also, there is a text file named secrets&tips.txt in the zip. It tells you how to access all the secret areas.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Hmm... seems the secrets and the like in your maps are too clever for me, I didn't find one of them...
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

ReX is, IMO, something of a master of the secret - often not just a differently coloured wall hiding a single small cupboard.

I've playtested quite a few maps for him and I quite often report back that I didn't find many secrets, or that the level would have been much easier with, say, a plasma gun or something. Invariably he writes back to tell me that I'd missed a (as he would describe it) "rather obvious" secret. Sure enough, when it's pointed out, there it is right in front of me just sitting waiting to be discovered. :lol:

Return to “Levels”