ZDoom project ideas you have

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

That's the one.
Mechadon

Post by Mechadon »

I'm going to be taking over Magnum's 'Imp TC!' soon as a personal project. If you haven't heard of it, basically replace Doomguy with an Imp and viola! Well ok, its not going to be that simple :p

I haven't really figured out how I'm going to go about it quite yet, but it will have some new monsters as well as a completely new weapon set. The current files that Magnum gave me are all done in DeHacked, so I gotta convert everything to DECORATE. A large portion of the weapon sprites are already done but I do have a bit more sprite work to do.

But yea, thats really the only big project I have in the future. I dunno when I'll get to start work on it...SMII as well as all my other scattered maps still need to be done.
guitar man

Post by guitar man »

I'm sure it has probably been attempted a few million times before, but I think a modern adaption of the Doom Bible would be awesome. Nothing like KDIZD, or even Tei Tenga. Just a utilization of Tom's ideas and original story line, some of the sprites and levels from the beta, and a facelift from modern ZDoom features (slopes, sky boxes, and especially scripting).
If I ever get the time (not likely), I may seriously consider working on such a project, as there conceivably isn't that much work involved, at least not in comparison to most other projects.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

1: Sequel to Hideous Destructor.

Featuring a full adjust-fire assault rifle, with a mag-based reload system that actually keeps track of the number of rounds in every mag on your person and on the map. (I actually worked out the basic ACS principles in my head on the bus this afternoon, though of course getting actual code is another matter.)
(EDIT: Done, but not quite the way I'd imagined - less prone to bugs but with about fifteen times the spaghetti. I only wish I were exaggerating with that estimate.)

The shotgun (and this would be much easier to implement I reckon) would have shells for shot, flechettes, or slugs, and be loadable individually for a sequence of shots. (altfire would of course rack the shotgun without firing it, letting you reload.)
(EDIT: Done. But no flechettes though - the structure as it is would allow it, but frankly it's enough of a pain in the ass to track both slugs and shot. I might add them once I start working ranges and crap into these things.)

There would be no reload key, but instead you'd actually have to poke around in your inventory to find your ammo. Yes, this will be awkward and inconvenient - as it should be.
(EDIT: I have no way to prevent a smart user from binding a key to use these things. I suppose it's the equivalent to having the foresight to develop some quick-action system.)

And I wouldn't be limiting my file size to 1MB as I'm doing with HD now, so I'd actually have some reload animations!

Also (if I could get the player view right) an innovation on player death: you wouldn't actually "die" as far as the game engine is concerned, but instead you'd get progressively beat-up and debilitated (slowdown, jerky movement, annoying red flickering, inability to aim) until you're on the ground and barely able to move or see anything. Eventually you're rendered completely frozen and unshootable and the monsters move on to another player, and it will take your buddies four medikits (or some combo of meds and stims NOT the berserk) to get you into a condition to slowly, slowly hobble about the level but still be little more than dead weight for the rest of that map.
(EDIT: You just sorta keel over and faint right now if you take too much damage. I'll get to the getting back up part later.)

As for why... time, and oh-look-a-huge-thing-I-have-to-do-I'll-never-finish-it-tonight-let's-do-something-else. When one of my ideas for HD2 becomes small and compartmentalized enough to do in one sitting, I have a bad habit of simply adding it to HD.

2: Complete re-do of Twilight Warrior in DECORATE.

Why: ...lack of motivation to do it, really. TW is an awesome mod, but anytime I want my quasi-realistic-weapons kick I could just play HD or Diaz.
Last edited by Matt on Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Ridiculous Weapons - A weapon mod in which names can be deceiving. A chaingun that actually shoots chain links at enemies, a sniper rifle that creates snipers (which carry sniper rifles that create more snipers), and the BFG9000 (BFG stands for Big Fat Gorilla). I just don't have enough good ideas to make this work, and my brain doesn't work the right way to do something completely balls-to-the-wall insane like Xaser used to do.

Noir - A short total conversion that takes place in the 1940's, following a plotline in the style of The Godfather, with realistic period weapons and a complete greyscale palette (in theory, with 255 shades of grey, the game would look exactly the same in ZDoom as it does in GZDoom). Problem is, I'd need a really damn good sprite artist, and maybe a good mapper to do something with this.

Operation Arctic Wolf SE - I actually got permission from Laz Rojas to do this, and had assembled a development team for it. Unfortunately, the project ended up dying a quiet death due to everybody being busy with KDIZD, and since the majority of the project was mapping (something that I don't consider myself very good at), I couldn't do a thing to keep it afloat.

Cold Hard Cash: For Firepower and Profit - A short total conversion featuring an actual economy, where you can complete missions for cash, buy (and sell!) weapons and ammo, buy upgrades, or even tips from bar patrons and the informants in the prison. The most that got done of this was a decent-sized "hub" area - again, most of the people that signed on the project were too busy with KDIZD and eventually just disappeared. As I was working with weapons, I couldn't do much without graphics - the sole graphic artist we had decided to take a break, the scripters on the team couldn't do anything without maps, and the mappers never did anything because they were busy with their other projects (especially alterworldruler).

Cel-Shaded Weapons - I saw an image Paul posted on the DRD Team forums where he edited one of lizardcommando's weapons to have anime-styled cel shading. I wanted to make a mod like that. Lack of motivation stopped me.
Ryan Cordell
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Ryan Cordell »

Metroid TC (Yeah, bite me.) - A sort of mod that would modify Doom to a great extent, to be akin to either Super Metroid, Metroid Zero Mission, or Metroid Fusion, where the main weapon is only the arm cannon you get (If it's Zero Mission, you'd need a new player class.) plus all the abilities, including the missiles, super missiles and such. Being able to set bombs and power bombs while 'crouched' (Maybe crouched twice or just in morph ball form, not sure.). Being able to fight Mother Brain in 3d. Ah.

Operation Arctic Wolf SE - Again, it had a similar goal to Weasel's, but more on the enemy/weapon/'map' (+things through ACS.) modification side. Didn't get too far since I disliked how the wad felt. If anything, I might spin it up around sometime in the future again with all of the latest knowledge on DEC (Lest I forget.) I have.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

A couple of other random projects that fell by the wayside:

Knee-Deep In Zdoom: You Snooze, You Lose: A sinister plan to belt out a few half-decent levels for the express purpose of beating KDiZD to their own name like a bastard. Became stillborn when Doom Builder refused to work right on my old PC.

Get Psyched!: A tribute to Wolf3d, with Doom-style mapping. Abandoned when I was politely reminded that Wolf-themed mods are a dime a dozen.
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

wildweasel wrote:Cel-Shaded Weapons - I saw an image Paul posted on the DRD Team forums where he edited one of lizardcommando's weapons to have anime-styled cel shading. I wanted to make a mod like that. Lack of motivation stopped me.
I had similar idea - a comics like hi-res weapon sprites with smooth animation. I can make linearts for them.
shtbag667

Post by shtbag667 »

I was thinking of creating a hub-based mod that would be sort of like a cross between grove.wad and phocas island 2, something that doesn't focus on killing masses of enemies but rather on exploring. Whats holding me back are miscellaneous distractions and no ideas how to start it. I'm sure that my primary focus would be on creating atmospheric and dynamic environments and having a lot of puzzles instead of key / switch hunting.

Another idea I have is to make an evil dead mod. It would NOT be like the army of darkness mod that already exists and it would focus on the creepy atmosphere of the first two movies. It would be a hub wad with the cabin being the main level that branches out to other maps. The goal would be to go out to the other levels and collect pages of the necronomicon and bring them back to the cabin. Once all the pages are collected something happens (thats were my ideas stop).
Wills

Post by Wills »

Wasteland - Imagine you're on a floating castle high in a featureless blue fog, climbing its walls and towers. Yep, that's it. I've actually made a little bit of one level though I doubt I'll do anything with it.

World - An entire world created within a wad. Imagine a giant field that takes ten minutes to cross, as well as massive forests, canyons, and mountains, all with living, breathing inhabitants, towns, and the random inn where you can have a pint and chat it up with the buxom bartenderess or take a rest. My idea was to make a world so massive that it would take a person nearly a month to find all the secrets, treasures, and goals.

Your quest is to find the six keys to open up the exit. In between are many small tasks you can perform for money, evil warlords to dispose of, and of course the whole business of finding food. There will be monsters, yes, but not on nearly the same scale as in a Doom wad. Think roaming wildlife and dangerous demons searching the landscapes for fresh meat (especially at night - there'll be inns for a reason). As with Wasteland, I made part of one level and realized this was way beyond my scope.

If anyone wants what I've done for either of the above I still have partially made levels. Ask for them anytime.

One final one which has been fermenting for a long time - A mod where you are a helicopter. You fly through levels such as cities and canyons and take out enemy bases and troops, who will, of course, be retaliating. Blow up enemy cargo ships! Derail a train of illegal weaponry! Think Star Fox with bullets and rockets instead of lasers.

I don't have any sort of beta for this one thanks to Doom Builder's once-schizophrenic fits of random file corruption. As a side note, the very first post I made on this forum was asking how to change a texture on a floor while lowering it (before I had discovered the wonders of ACS). That question was one I had while working on this mod. :)
Unknown_Assassin

Post by Unknown_Assassin »

Wills wrote:World - An entire world created within a wad. Imagine a giant field that takes ten minutes to cross, as well as massive forests, canyons, and mountains, all with living, breathing inhabitants, towns, and the random inn where you can have a pint and chat it up with the buxom bartenderess or take a rest. My idea was to make a world so massive that it would take a person nearly a month to find all the secrets, treasures, and goals.
That wad is going to indeed lag, if it was made.
MDenham

Post by MDenham »

Unknown_Assassin wrote:
Wills wrote:World - An entire world created within a wad. Imagine a giant field that takes ten minutes to cross, as well as massive forests, canyons, and mountains, all with living, breathing inhabitants, towns, and the random inn where you can have a pint and chat it up with the buxom bartenderess or take a rest. My idea was to make a world so massive that it would take a person nearly a month to find all the secrets, treasures, and goals.
That wad is going to indeed lag, if it was made.
It shouldn't lag too badly - but it's going to require a ridiculous number of maps to pull it off.

At "16 map units = 1 foot" scale, the largest map you can get away with is about 384 acres (0.6 sq. mi.).

Mapping the entire Earth would take 330 million maps. :D

So, uh, are we looking at a ~1GB WAD here? :-)
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

One project I've always wanted to do...

Welcome Back to the Mushroom Kingdom!-Basicly SMB in DOOM. Except you're the Doomguy and you use a high arsenal of weapons. I even had a story to go with it:
"Those idiots at the UAC are still messing with their gateway project. Oddly, instead of demons, a lving mushroom walked out. After the scientist were done researching it, they ask you to go in there and bring back several more samples. You agree, but don't agree to actually bring something back, atleast alive. You go through it and somehow end up in the air. After landing, which didn't hurt at all, you notice that this world is colorful-too colorful, you think. You see several cubes floating near you, and you ready your pistol. You're going to kick ass and spit-out cliches, and you're all out of cliches."

Aaand due to DOOM's sucky collision system, not even with GZDoom was I able to get the blocks and the Goombas to work.
shtbag667

Post by shtbag667 »

Wills wrote: World - An entire world created within a wad. Imagine a giant field that takes ten minutes to cross, as well as massive forests, canyons, and mountains, all with living, breathing inhabitants, towns, and the random inn where you can have a pint and chat it up with the buxom bartenderess or take a rest. My idea was to make a world so massive that it would take a person nearly a month to find all the secrets, treasures, and goals.
I would help with a project like that, it would be a bunch of interconnected maps that focus on exploring which is kind of what I had in mind for my idea.
sirjuddington

Post by sirjuddington »

I've been wanting to create a doom RPG project of some kind for a while now. Unfortunately I still have to wait for DoomScript because DECORATE just isn't quite powerful enough :P

Return to “General”