REAL Co-Oppers

Talk about multiplayer ZDoom games here.
Forum rules
Bio Hazard

REAL Co-Oppers

Post by Bio Hazard »

Dosent anyone ever play Co-Op anymore?

i dont mean "SP but with another player to take stuff and kill doods for you" Co-Op, i mean like TACTICAL Co-Op where you make strategys and ration ammo and have battle plans and stuff...

if you like to do that AIM me (click teh button) and we can get a game going or something sometime...
Biff

Post by Biff »

Yes, more often by arrangement or the rare zdaemon or csdoom server. I'll put up a coop zdaemon server, probably on Saturday, look for rarefiles. It'll have to be doom2.wad for now.
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

yay! im so glad... but zdameon wont let you MLOOK or jump (or did they fix that? its been so long) and you cant be tactical if you cant point at stuff with coopspy
you: "look over there!"
me: "where?"
you: "i dont see anything..."
me: "point at it"
you: "i cant move my neck sir"
or
(lege is 2ft high)
you: "i cant get onto this lege"
me: "climb up there"
you: "i cant im connected to the floor"
that really ruins the mood...

i cant wait...

where was zdaemon again? (its been a long time)
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

Biff

Post by Biff »

Zdaemon always allowed jumping and mlook but it was up to the server admin whether to enable those or not. It's still that way. The one thing not working at all in zdaemon 1.04c is lookspring. That's where you have a key to momentarily enable mouselook, and when you release that key, the view "springs" instantly back to level. It worked perfectly with zdaemon 0.99 but now it's badly broken in that, if you fire a weapon while looking up or down, then let the view snap back to level, the weapons no longer fire at the crosshair, they remain up or down.

If you "always mlook", this problem does not occur.

Hosting doom2.wad coop, jumping shouldn't be enabled I think because the maps were designed to be completed without jumping....jumping allows parts of the maps to be bypassed. Mlook is no problem though and I personally like to aim my shots up and down.
Ultraviolet

Post by Ultraviolet »

Just yesterday I got my sister to co-op with me on Vrack 2. That was soooo cool. I, being the most experienced Doomer in the house, was sort of "in command." She, having played a bunch of other FPS games as well, was not useless either. I think I actually used the phrase "take position on this door, prepare to clear." Dizzamn, we held down rooms full of crap with each of us behind cover firing into rooms at an angle... Whenever we could kill enough stuff in a room that we were in the clear we'd go ammo hunting and whoever had the least of one type of ammo had the "right of way" for whatever was there. That kept the ammo situation pretty balanced... she got the only backpack, though. :'( For clearing rooms, we would take opposite corners behind shallow doorframes and be in a position of half-cover, able to fire with impunity our chainguns and shotguns at targets that would lob projectiles right at the wall in front of us. For deep doorframes (nowhere to open the door from cover), we'd take turns being "point" and "support." If I were to open the door, I'd have my SSG up and she'd be a little bit behind and beside me keeping anything from getting close with her chaingun. For single large targets, if we knew they were coming, I'd tell her to, say, fire exactly 4 shells at a cacodemon and then I'd finish it with 4 more or vice versa. Whenever we'd be up close to something I'd try and remind her to use the SSG (becasue the "double" shotgun does TRIPLE damage -- 3x the pellets of the single SG) in order to gain some mileage with our limited shells.

I have this set of sounds I set up for the bullet weapons... s'really cool... makes large firefights very immersive.
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

exactly like that...

you usually don get teamwork on the internetnet because ppl cant type commands fast enough (thats why i have a HUGE amount of speech binds) and sometimes ill pause to type (if its REEEELY improtant)

awwwwww... doom2.wad? thats so old... (but i have tactical maps for it tho :) ) i dont mind finding another wad (i have cable so DLing it is no big deal)

plus you really need to orginize a Co-Op game instead of just joining it out of the blue right in the middle like over AIM or something...

EDIT: i thought MLOOK made rockets fly out your butt... (or was that fixed? its been so long >.< )
Ultraviolet

Post by Ultraviolet »

Co-op is best between friends on LAN than on public servers.
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

i wish i had doomer friends to LAN with :'(

they always say "doom is so old why dont we play quake instead, it looks so much better"
EVEN THOUGH QUAKE IS NOT FOR CO-OP IDIOTS!!!

if you ask me... GFX dont matter (sure helps tho) its all about being immersive and crapping your pants when that imp jumps out at you from nowhere!

/me is sad that he'll never experince a good fire team...
Ultraviolet

Post by Ultraviolet »

As a nearsighted person I have come to not require as much micro-level visual stimulus in order to become immersed. Simplicity and geometric balance are easier for me to appreciate, just as long as there is nothing like really bad color clash sticking out like a sore thumb. I've come to appreciate the role sound plays in sensory immersion in a virtual setting as well. In fact, once I was going to do an Aliens TC remake, and the first thing I did was make a collection of sounds for things like metal stress, the player's heartbeat, random electronic noise for computers, steampipe-noise, and a faint static (the player's radio is not getting any signals because his team is dead. The sound was quite effective in setting mood.) Before actually doing any levels I got all the sounds together and made a big square room and threw the ambient sound things in and just LISTENED. My sister said it was pretty scary after I told her to imagine having to play with it like that while you walk around blind corners and narrow, poorly-lit corridors.

EDIT: I've got to get mi padre to play as well some time, have a nice fire-team of three. Door clearing would be like... one guy takes center for delivery of heavy payload, two take the sides of the doorframe behind cover and cover the HW guy. I'd have to make a level where monsters spawn at random on patrol routes so we would have a use for a rear-guard when walking through hallways, too.
Ultraviolet

Post by Ultraviolet »

And uh, Quake does NOT look better, kthx. Tell them to go eat a cock.
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Ultraviolet wrote:And uh, Quake does NOT look better, kthx. Tell them to go eat a cock.
Dude, you stole my line.
Ultraviolet

Post by Ultraviolet »

I SO had that line a long time ago already.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Ultraviolet wrote:And uh, Quake does NOT look better, kthx.
And your point being is that you think anyone would care how bad it looks? NO!

BTW, Quake 3 Arena owns Quake.
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

is the server still up? i cant see it on IDE :(

no coop for me :(

Return to “Networking”