ZDoom project ideas you have

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Hmm... There's been a lot of different ones that I've thought about with different levels of seriousness. So much so I can't really remember them all. Some of the ones I do remember:

Head Survival 2 - Basically, advanced version of the last one, which was more of a jokewad. Take advantage of all the latest ZDoom features, expand the way battles progress, more classes, etc. Maybe get some other forum goers who are willing to donate their faces.

The main reason this won't be going anywhere is a reason that pretty much covers everything I don't do: there's too many other things I want to do more than this.

Zombies Ate My Neighbors - Not a conversion, but a similarly set up style of game, since ZDoom supports just about everything you would need. Co-op support included.

Same reason as the last one.

Déjà Vu - The familiar is unexpected. Basically it starts with a normal map. Each map after that is the same thing but just a little bit different in increasingly bizarre and unexpected ways. As you feel like you are moving through a familiar environment, you in fact know nothing about it.

Same reason.

Some Kind of Scary or Maybe Otherwise Frightening Wad - Assemble a small dedicated team to try and make something that is genuinely scary, but not like a Ghoul's Forest clone. Something a bit more involved. I have ideas here and there about some things, but being a team project it would require some sitting down and discussing what everyone wants.

Same reason as the others, but this time also because I don't think I could drum up the support needed.

BTFDSCM: Boy, The Freshly Dead Sure Can Move - Multiplayer competitive game where all the players are zombies and there are crowds of living, breathing NPCs to slaughter. Compete for points by killing NPCs in various ways and do other things to try and interfere with other players.

The usual reason.

Minigame wad - A collection of minigames. I imagine it would be similar in concept to Turbocharged Arcade, though I wouldn't know as I still haven't played it yet.

Same reason.

I know there's dozens of other ones I'm not remembering but that's how it goes. I don't really come up with them because I plan to ever work on them.
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

Metal Gear: Outer Heaven - a GZDoom TC episode serving as an extended first-person remake of the very first Metal Gear game from 1987. Rookie FOXHOUND operative Solid Snake must infiltrate a heavily fortified enemy base to rescue MIA comrade Gray Fox, and find out more about secret weapons research being undertaken therein.

The TC would largely follow the pacing, stucture and locations of the original game, complete with underground sewer insertion, hostage rescue, anti-personnel areas, boss battles and of course stealth-based gameplay. The enemy AI would be augmented to resemble the structure of that used in MGS2, with Alert, Evasion/Clearing and Caution phases. Although the player would lack a radar, they would be assisted by an aural and visual pulse that intensifies in proximity to enemy personnel (provided they haven't been spotted). With initially no weaponry and minimal equipment, the player would have to rely on stealth, tactics and vigilance to avoid dangerous confrontation with the enemy.

Aesthetics and level design aside, getting anything working has been a feast of smoke, mirrors and extremely ugly hacks. Up til now I've been hampered by several factors, all of which involve actor logic in (Z)Doom. Custom states have solved many of the problems to some extent, but the issues of noise alerts (all or nothing), light/visibility levels (impossible to dynamically detect), enemy movement (it's rubbish) and restricting fields of vision/hearing (nigh impossible to implement reliably) have meant the work has ground to a halt.

Obviously using the Unreal or Dark engines would make this a doddle, but I just love working with (G)ZDoom, and really want to get this going in some way. The base technical requirements, if implemented, would serve ZDoom modders well long after my own project has been forgotten. I've made several feature suggestions over the years that have all been unanswered, so I'm guessing I'll have to Wait For DoomScript before this one can move forward. :(
The NUtcracker

Post by The NUtcracker »

Doom: Reloaded(or it was until someone else used the name) - A hub situated in a mountainous area filled with demons. The mountains surround the entire area, and are too steep to climb, so there is no way to get out. It takes place at night, and uses a 360 skybox to enhance the effect. It includes new weapons with (gasp) reloading, although they are designed away from the original doom weapons, but close enough to still have a 'doom' feel. In the maps, you come across various different areas including tech bases, hellish caves, the usually stuff, with the still to be created city under the mountain. Mostly, though, you'll be out on your own in the wilderness, so basic needs are vital(food, water, etc.). You also have to watch out for the natural mountain disasters (rock slides, volcanoes, etc.) so you have to be careful where you camp. You can never camp for long, as a demon will come after you before long, and they always know where you are, thanks to the tracking devices in the base. It's been started, and I've been working on it since about April. It's still hasn't gone very far, but then there's a lot more to the stuff I listed.
SMG M7

Post by SMG M7 »

Doom - The Animated Series

Somewhat of a personal dream project of me, this is a continuation of the Doom I/II "story" where humanity tries to retake Earth from the Hellspawn. It's got a pretty decent-sized bible on it, but I need the time and skill to animate this thing.

I'd type up the bible if anyone has any interest in trying it out, but meh.
Electronic Samurai

Post by Electronic Samurai »

I'd love to find a mapper to finish Ninja Duel. Basically what I have in mind is a smallish walled Japanese village under a full moon, with a lot of emphasis placed on rooftop-to-rooftop combat. It would be a fairly high-detail map. Unfortunately, I don't have the time or mapping savvy to finish this one right now.
Unknown_Assassin

Post by Unknown_Assassin »

I wanted to incorporate Starcraft units and Doom 64 and Doom 3 monsters into wads, but it takes a lot of time management to get the correct code in DECORATE (if possible) as well as getting the sprites.
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

I was working in making a partial conversion for doom about Hexen2, it was supposed to have all hexen2weapons and monster, but i never finished it and the project got consumed by ÆoD

DBT
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

Zippy wrote:Zombies Ate My Neighbors - Not a conversion, but a similarly set up style of game, since ZDoom supports just about everything you would need. Co-op support included.
Hell yeah I loved that game, how could you not wanna do this over anything else? :P

ohmygod I just came up with the greatest idea ever just by looking at TDA's avatar... and I might just try it. Imp's Odyssey has a nice ring to it.
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

Cutmanmike wrote: ohmygod I just came up with the greatest idea ever just by looking at TDA's avatar... and I might just try it. Imp's Odyssey has a nice ring to it.
One question I have: Who would take the place of the comedy gold that are the Glukkons :P
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

I don't know I just thought of the imps and the player being a green imp and sligs being marines. Feel free to gimmie some ideas.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Cutmanmike wrote:Hell yeah I loved that game, how could you not wanna do this over anything else?
Too many other things going on, and too many other things I want to do. I don't know... we'll see...
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

Cutman: Mancubii or Barons would what I would use for them.
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

TheDarkArchon wrote:Cutman: Mancubii or Barons would what I would use for them.
Well i'll start work on a test map which a few err... "abes" (it's been a while), sligs and traps and if it's cool then we'll go from there. I have a system sort of written in my head on how i'm going to do it (maybe not so much possesing or anything yet).
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

While I wouldn't call either of these ZDoom project ideas (Skulltag, mostly):

Replicator Invasion: Use modern-time weapons to fight off hordes of Replicators from Stargate SG-1. I would use the weapons from Ant1991331s Realistic Weapons mod, and get help from some other people to make maps for it, the only problem is I would NEVER be able to make Replicator sprites.

Imp Invasion: Inspired by RabbitLords 'Invasion of the Imps' (a coop wad, not an invasion wad), I was going to make a wad where Imp variations replace every monster in the game. It was primarily for Invasion. Unfortunately, I couldn't find nearly enough Imps.

The one other idea I have, I'm making already :twisted:.
Ryan Cordell
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Ryan Cordell »

Cutmanmike wrote:
TheDarkArchon wrote:Cutman: Mancubii or Barons would what I would use for them.
Well i'll start work on a test map which a few err... "abes" (it's been a while), sligs and traps and if it's cool then we'll go from there. I have a system sort of written in my head on how i'm going to do it (maybe not so much possesing or anything yet).
"abes"?

mudokons. =/

Return to “General”