2SP: The Two-Sector Mapping Project

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

Erm not the original intention. Once I get some better ideas, it'll start turning a lot more interesting. ...As a matter of fact Enjay's post about morphing rooms just gave me some ideas that I really to try.

This level doesn't have much height variation because I originally didn't start with much, if anything, in mind. But now that I think about it, if I start using scripting to change the sectors' heights and textures when they aren't visible, I could achieve a lot better effects... **goes off to tag stuff**

The only problem is that this will completely break noclip, but I guess since it is a cheat it isn't something I need to worry too much about, since you can also just puke the script that handles the floor/ceiling changes.
Siggi
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Siggi »

wildweasel wrote:I don't believe Firefox loads the images until the spoiler is opened, either...not for me at least.
I am using Firefox.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Is it just me or would the "reusing sector definitions" thing screw over the "monsters hearing sounds" AI?
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

It does because it goes by the actual sector, instead of subsector like rendering does. Old maps use this to wake up monsters that lie in dummy sectors that would otherwise not react. Currently I'm circumventing this by strategically placing monsters so they don't immediately see the player and making them +AMBUSH by default.

It'd be nice though if there was an A_Look3 that was the reverse of A_Look2, I.E. only react by sight and ignore sound, that way it would be possible to sneak up on a monster since +AMBUSH means they see the player from any direction, so currently they will always come after you as long as you're in the same area as them.
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

Spoiler: Screenshots: Master Blaster
Yep, still only two sectors. I'm a very good illusionist. =p

I've appeared to run into a problem though; When changing the sector heights, the objects move with the sector, most notably the bridge things move to prevent getting stuck under the floor. The result is that when you return to a previous area, suddenly lower floors that you could once jump on you now wind up sinking through instead, because the things are no longer in line with the floor. =S

Edit: I have the problem resolved. I was missing the obvious.
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

Wait how the crap is it two sectors? If I remember correctly, a sector counts for all those crates, bridge parts and any other details that are seperate shapes... or did I miss something?
Gez

Post by Gez »

It's possible to have "fake sectors" through impassable linedefs with midtextures. As long as the player can't jump high enough to see they have no "roof", the illusion works.

There are some neat tricks used in the 2sectors wad.
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

Cutmanmike wrote:Wait how the crap is it two sectors?
Self-referencing is another good trick. Try the "join" button when selecting two identical sectors in Doom Builder. Both areas are now the same sector and both change at the same time when one is changed, have the same flats/heights/tag/light level/etc. and both use the same definition. It comes in handy when you have multiple identical areas that all have identical definitions (like spaces between grates) and want them all to work identically, in case you need to dynamically change them or come back later and just modify one without having to go through them all.

This is why there are no lighting gradients or things of that sort, and what makes it so hard to map for. =P You can only have two floor/ceiling textures, height variations, sector effects, and light levels visible at any given time.

Most of the tricks also use clever decorations and also the midtexture trick mentioned above.
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

Hmm... if you used GZDoom you might be able to rely on the dynamic lights if you put them in the right places.
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

Cutmanmike wrote:Hmm... if you used GZDoom you might be able to rely on the dynamic lights if you put them in the right places.
I want this to be software-compatible, so I don't wind up leaving the regular ZDoom users in the dark (no pun intended). =)
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

*points@hisavatar/title*
Ryan Cordell
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Ryan Cordell »

Nobody cares about that. If she wants a 2 Sector challange, let her have one.
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

Tormentor667 wrote:*points@hisavatar/title*
If you've seen the first post, in case you haven't noticed, this entire project was spawned because of it, and is pretty much a "friendly stab" at such. =P

It's all in how you use them. If used correctly, two sectors can be quite more than enough.

I wanted a challenge that hasn't really been tried before and would prove interesting. As far as this goes, it has been both, as well as giving me an exercise in being creative and refining old tricks, and learning some new ones as well.

And call me mascochistic, but this has been quite fun as well.
jallamann

Post by jallamann »

Other issues aside, the project seems like quite a challenge.
Belial

Post by Belial »

SnowKate709 wrote:there has never (to my knowledge) been a fully-playable Single-Player map that demonstrates such a feat
oshi

Return to “Levels”