2SP: The Two-Sector Mapping Project

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Kate
... in rememberance ...

2SP: The Two-Sector Mapping Project

Post by Kate »

I've just started work on this but it has already been quite a challenge. You see, I've decided while staring at Tormentor's profile, that I wanted to work on a map. A special map. With a catch-22 to it. And I came up with this:

Total, for the entire map. No more, no less.

Although this has been done before, there has never (to my knowledge) been a fully-playable Single-Player map that demonstrates such a feat. Once I develop this map to be interesting enough, I'll eventually start posting screenshots of it. For now you go ahead and tell me that I have way too much time on my hands. =P

EDIT: And by the power of all, I shall give it a name, and it's name shall be ...
Last edited by Kate on Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

i have to say im truly amazed what can be done with 2 sectors!! i have never seen that 2 sector megawad. now putting that effort into a sp level would be more interesting, since the megawad seems to be just deathmatch maps (i didnt tried every map). good luck with this strange idea :D

DBT
Nash

Post by Nash »

I'm looking forward to this! BTW 2sector DM rules, fast-paced crazy fun on LAN!
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

I'm not sure how much fun you can get out of 2 sectors.. unless you're making the floors/walls/ceilings out of actors? :o
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

Creative use of actors and linedefs. =)
Mechadon

Post by Mechadon »

Only 2 sectors, eh? I'd really like to see where you go with that limitation. You can definitely use some 'tricks' with just linedefs and actors...I'll be looking forward to your progress!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Not quite the same thing but I once did a "proof of concept" map where there was essentially only one room and a corridor behind the room. If you left the room by the North opening, walked around the room via the corridor and came in the South opening, you had crossed a line def that made the room look totally different texture-wise. If you went in the reverse direction, it put the room back like it was. I did 5 different room setups. Kind of fun, I guess. :)
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

It really isn't much so far, but I'm slowly making progress. The only thing scripted so far is the door, since I can't use regular sector doors instead I use special blocking lines that fade in and out to act as doors.

I'm also making custom bridge textures out of the normal Doom (2) textures, as seen with the rock formations the third shot (I also need rock sprites for that area and some more decorations in general >.>)

MAP01: Master Blaster (Part One)
Spoiler: Screenshots
Last edited by Kate on Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Siggi
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Siggi »

You do realize the browser loads the pictures even if they're in a spoiler?
It does that for me at least.
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

Opera 9.23 does no such thing for me... It won't load them until I show it. I guess it depends on the browser. I wanted to be considerate to the page layout anyway.
Siggi
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Siggi »

I know, which is why I thought I'd mention it.
The gesture is appreciated.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I don't believe Firefox loads the images until the spoiler is opened, either...not for me at least.
Wills

Post by Wills »

Hey, I was doing a two-and-a-half sector map for TARD II. :(
Nash

Post by Nash »

For me, if I want to post large screenshots, I always put them in spoilers; NOT because I think it'll decrease loading times, BUT to respect the forum layout.
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Erm.. So basically this is a project to make ZDoom look like ROTT? :(

Return to “Levels”