The Power Core 3

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Karnizero

The Power Core 3

Post by Karnizero »

The Power Core 3 (aka La Fuente Energética, spanish tittle), is a remake i made from an old map of a friend of me (Eye del Cul, from http://www.arcades3d.com, spanish web).

I tried to make a map with a dusty industrial far futuristic ambience, with many more new textures, and a good ambience.

It runs only under GzDoom, cause it uses many dynamic light and maybe (i really dont remember) some more enhancements from GzDoom.
All texts in game are spanish and english, except for intermission text, only spanish.

Ok, no more sermons, and here some "shoots from the screen" (screen-shots):

1.- Comparing the original, with the remake. Original on the left, remake on the right, except in the last screen:

Image Image
Image Image

2.- Some other "normal" screens:

Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image Image

And here the desired download links:

[WARNING: JUMPING IS NOT ALLOWED, REMEMBER THAT!!!!]

1.- Original map links to webpage and download:
A) Web page from the original map author: http://www.geocities.com/eyedecul
B) Link to download the original map: http://www.geocities.com/eyedecul/doom2/juente.zip

2.- Remake Downloads:
A) Reduced Version: Only Map, 1Mb approx:
- Megaupload: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9MH16HU7
- Rapidshare: http://rapidshare.com/files/59157482/Ju ... t.zip.html
B) Full Version: Map, Music, Intermission text, TITTLEPIC, 15 Mb approx [RECOMMENDED]:
- Megaupload: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2TXT3SEQ
- Rapidshare: http://rapidshare.com/files/59161168/Ju ... l.zip.html

And that is all. I hope you enjoy that.

Cya.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Oh wow! That's very cool. The original level is one that I have played a lot and I like. This is a very different, very grimy, dirty, oppressive take on an old, familiar map. It actually took me a while to realise which map it was but then things just started looking increasingly familiar. I like it.
Karnizero

Post by Karnizero »

Enjay wrote:Oh wow! That's very cool. The original level is one that I have played a lot and I like. This is a very different, very grimy, dirty, oppressive take on an old, familiar map. It actually took me a while to realise which map it was but then things just started looking increasingly familiar. I like it.
Just a question, Enjay, ¿I know you? I mean, ¿are you from spain, or maybe you know Eyedelcul or maybe Arcades3D?

You really surprised me when you told that you have played "juente.wad", cause that is an old map of a friend of me, but i suposed that it was not a well known wad/map.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Nope, not Spanish
Enjay's location wrote:Scotland
:)

I'm not sure if "juente.wad" was ever reviewed at Doomworld but, somehow, I came across it and it's just one of those maps that I really quite like for some reason. I like tech bases I guess. :) So, yeah, I've played it lots and think it's a pretty cool map.

The original map can be found in the idgames database here:
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=12025
Karnizero

Post by Karnizero »

Enjay wrote:Nope, not Spanish
Enjay's location wrote:Scotland
:)
Image Image
Wills

Post by Wills »

Wow, those screens look really sweet. *downloads*
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Oo, remake!

I originally played the version of this map in Garrulismo. Surprisingly more difficult than the standalone one despite the bigger monsters, but still one of the better maps out there. Looking forward to trying this version...

EDIT:

1) omg a modern map that runs at a decent framerate for me dude i love you

2) Interesting how the gameplay dynamic completely changes when you change the visibility like that...
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Minor problem: Assuming jumping is allowed in a GZdoom WAD, if you go upstairs and jump over the edge of the balcony opposite the yellow key, you will drop down to the lower corridor. If you do this before you hit the switch upstairs, I think you are now probably stuck because you can't get through the door which only opens via the switch.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Yeah, but you can disallow jumping in the MAPINFO.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Gez wrote:Yeah, but you can disallow jumping in the MAPINFO.
Exactly - it hasn't been. GZdoom allows jumping and the disabling of jumping. Unless it is explicitly stated that jumping is not allowed, or jumping has been disabled via mapinfo, it's reasonable to assume that jumping (and crouching for that matter) is acceptable (IMO). However, areas where an undesired outcome (like this) can easily slip by a mapper, especially when converting an old map which has already been set up and the author "knows" where to go and what to do and so misses possible problems that jumping can create. I know, I've done it loads of times.

Although I don't think jumping is needed anywhere in the level, being able to jump enhances it (IMO), so I wouldn't want to see it disallowed (if it were, I'd edit the mapinfo myself and remove the restriction) but something could be done to stop the player getting stuck. (eg making it impossible for the player to get over the edge of the balcony, or making the door openable from the back.)
Unknown_Assassin

Post by Unknown_Assassin »

Enjay wrote:Minor problem: Assuming jumping is allowed in a GZdoom WAD
Never assume when the author says this :P :
Karnizero wrote:[WARNING: JUMPING IS NOT ALLOWED, REMEMBER THAT!!!!]
Interesting screenshots...*downloads*
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Unknown_Assassin wrote:Never assume when the author says this :P :
Karnizero wrote:[WARNING: JUMPING IS NOT ALLOWED, REMEMBER THAT!!!!]
Doh! and Doh! again for good measure.

As a general rule however, some of my comments still stand in as much as I would still prefer to "jump-proof" a map to ensure no unintentional jumping shortcuts rather than use the blunt weapon of disallowing jumping.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

As far as I can tell (unless some of the secrets have such problems) that's the only part of the map that would create problems for jumpers.

Can't think of any good, non-obvious ways to stop that movement without making it impossible to fight the revenant from across the gap, though...
Gez

Post by Gez »

It's possible to jump into the power core to get the red key without raising the bridges first. (Return jump is harder, but possible too.)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Ir's also possible to jump into the little control room where you are supposed to shoot the switch from outside. Bars on the window would solve that.

The balconies could be made blockable by putting a 3D bannister/bar around the edge using a 3D floor. Or just making the door openeable from behind. It would make it possible to circumvent the switch upstairs but I don't see that as a huge problem seeing as how you had to go upstairs to get to the balcony anyway.

The power core doors could be tied to the raising floors via a script: so they don't open unless you have hit a switch. In fact, you could make it so you have to hit all 4 switches before the doors will open.

Return to “Levels”